Who do you think gets paid the most?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DO/MBA

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which specialty (on average) do you think gets paid the most? Just go on a hunch (don't research it). Just for fun I looked it up, and I wanted to see if there is a difference between what future collegues think and what the stats show.

Members don't see this ad.

DEPENDS ON HOW HARD YOU WANT TO WORK. NEUROSURGERY IS MT GUESS.

True it does matter how hard you want to work. That is why I said on average. Neurosurgery is second on the list. Anyone else want to guess?

Members don't see this ad :)
Um..I would guess Radiology.

Ortho or GI???

cardiovascular surgery

Its all perspective really...EM doctors have no overhead costs, that saves 20-30% right there.

Hi, I can tell you that Radiologists make an insane amount of money, especially in the midwest... :)

Toran, you're crazy. Cardiovascular surgery is definitely the highest, but they also have a lot of stress.

Of course, the averages are less related to the specialty and more related to the personality type of the physician. I think that the more agressive types (who tend to work more and make more money) are attracted to the more intense specialties, such as CV. Occasionally, one of these types will specialize in another field, skewing the averages, such as an Ophtho I know that makes 350K or a FM doc I heard about who pays his assistant FM docs (multi doc practice) 240K/year. It is what you make of it.

The answer is...... Cardiothoracic surgery hands down, not even close. For the entire list go to yahoo and do a search on "physician salaries" one of the results gives the high, low, and avg salaries for each profession. Good job for those that guessed it.

I would guess Radiology as well

You could pay me a cardiothoracic surgeons salary, but I would never want that job...after your second divorce, all that cash goes towards alomoney.
Theres that tendency to not see your family or sleep more than 8 hours...ever.

I also didn't realize this was some sort of quiz.

Just to throw out a number, partners at my friend's radiology group make about 400,000 to 425,000 per year, and that's without bonuses. I'd say that's pretty high.

Yep, I needed to add that those numbers are without year end pay outs, and after expenses. Also, freeeedom I didn't mean to upset you. I'm just having a little fun.

This is also just an average throughout the nation. Of course, those in the midwest will make more money because of less capitation and more discounted fee for service. Also, I agree with PalCareGirl I think Rad is the best bang for your buck. It sounds to me as that the rad group is in private practice which is a midwest thing too. Of course you will almost always make more when you are the boss. What do you guys think?

Luckily my gf wants to be a cardiothoracic surgeon. No alimony there. I for one wouldnt be caught dead cracking anyone's chest open on a daily basis. I'd go into noninvasive cardiology....mind you not even invasive cardiology...plain old non invasive.

Aves. for Cardiovascular surgeons run $600-800,000. I'm pretty sure this figure is AFTER expenses and NOT including bonuses.

I just got back from a surgery conference in cali and got a chance to sit down with a CT surgeon and talk about the field. Yes, they make a lot of money. No, they do not get to sleep a lot. They miss out on watching their kids growing up. The guy I was talking to also mentioned that many of his classmates that he has kept in touch with are retiring now, while he still has a good ten years to go before retirement. It would be a miserable lifestyle to go into if your only purpose is to make the most money. You have to weigh many factors when choosing what to do. I still love the thought of being a CT surgeon!