Who Else Feels Crappy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Too much flipping snow. Plus, I am currently three weeks into the semester and I have yet to get my required materials for one of my courses. The materials I ordered online were cancelled (by the company) and when I tried getting it from the school's bookstore, the materials were back ordered with no projected ship date.
I am so irritated...

Members don't see this ad :)
Too much flipping snow. Plus, I am currently three weeks into the semester and I have yet to get my required materials for one of my courses. The materials I ordered online were cancelled (by the company) and when I tried getting it from the school's bookstore, the materials were back ordered with no projected ship date.
I am so irritated...
Oh I'm sorry. It will get better :(

I am so irritated...

That really sucks. I had a grad class with a req book and somewhere around 5-6 long chapters of reading each week. Bookstore policy was to only order enough for a certain percentage of the class. Being there were three students in the class, there was only one textbook available. I didn't get it and it was going to take a week to get it. I showed the bookstore manager my syllabus and said that by the time they would get the book in I was supposed to have read 23 chapters. I was fuming. Talked to our advisor and he chewed them out saying if there were only 3 students they could probably afford to purchase all 3 even if one student opted not to buy one. I wound up overnighting it from amazon.

I'm feeling tired today. I'm currently on assignment and today is day 18 of 20 shifts (10-15 hour shifts) in a row. While the paycheck will be great, my body is waning and I feel my age for sure. Looking forward to 3 days off the weekend before heading to the next assignment. On the up side, the staff is great and the hours go by quickly. Also a plus being in a warm zone an not fighting snow on top of the hours. Have a great day everyone.:love:

I wound up overnighting it from amazon.

This is how I buy all my textbooks anymore. I especially love using the previous edition science books for the subjects like chemistry and physics that somehow change every 1 to 2 years... Do you mean to tell me the basic concepts of physics have changed enough in the past ten years to warrant releasing five new editions of this book? It aggravates me that the schools play along with the publishers game, and I imagine they are sort of stuck when it comes to ordering, but still... I just pick up the previous edition for $30 when the current is selling for $200, and call it a win.

edit to note; I'm sure these materials are not the type you two were referring to, but anyway, Amazon (or even a broader internet search) is the way to go to find your textbooks and save you your monies!

Somewhere some computer knows if I have matched or not by now and I am freaking out

Reactions: 1 user
So I am feeling kinda crappy. I went to a chem tutor for help on just the second lab for gen chem2. Which, by the way should be review from last semester I feel. Anyway, I just felt like the dumbest person in the world going over the problems because every time he asked me a question I could not for the life of me answer correctly! I already have an apt with my professor tomorrow for extra help but I am starting to feel like I am going to be one of those people who wont be able to handle this!

I just wanted to vent to people who will understand my frustrations as I'm sure most of you have had similar experiences in the past. :) It's still early in the semester so I'm not concerned about failing, just frustrated I can't seem to grasp everything all at once.

And then I had to overnight ship a 100lb snow blower. Did the snow surprise you that much that you had to spend over $100 to ship it to your home overnight? Gotta love retail. :love:

End of complaining.

Just had to complete exit counseling for my student loans because I dropped below half-time even though I'm not graduating this semester and will be more than half-time this summer.

Saw my overall student loan balance..... yikes. Maybe I should move back home.... lol

Filling out financial aid forms for medical schools... as someone who has a single parent (and apparently no way of proving it!)... living in a different country...
And I thought the medical school application process was ridiculous and frustrating :D

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Really frustrated. So in August I took the big leap and ordered a new king sized bed. I'd been sleeping on the same bed since my sophomore year of college and it broke. I was most concerned about getting a mattress I liked, scared I'd buy something and it would be uncomfortable. But the mattress store let me buy a special cover and keep it for 90 days and I could exchange it if it didn't work for me. Well I loved it. The problem is the frame. I found this great frame from Broyhill. Nobody sold it locally or could get it for me, so I found it online at a good price. Checked out some reviews on the company and they seemed good, so I ordered it. Bed came faster than I was expecting, except they sent me the wrong version of the bed out of the same collection. I'd ordered one with underbed storage and they sent me just the regular one.

Apparently they had both beds listed with the same product number. They said to keep the frame I got so I'd have something to sleep on and they'd just send the underbed storage section and swap it out as they had the head and footboards. Ok, never got it. Called back, said they'd look into it and let me know what the issue was. Never got a call back. Can't get them to email me and every time I call I get "we'll look into it and call you back in a day or two" with no call back. Then I call again. Twice I got "It's on the way" followed by "I thought you'd got it already." 6 months later, this still isn't resolved and a deeper dig into the company has shown they have lots of problems like this and worse. Plus, I called today and Broyhill no longer makes the underbed storage version. I hate getting screwed and it sure seems to be happening to me a lot lately. Interestingly, the only business relationship I have going where I actually kinda trust the guy is my auto mechanic. :bang:

Members don't see this ad :)
Really frustrated. So in August I took the big leap and ordered a new king sized bed. I'd been sleeping on the same bed since my sophomore year of college and it broke. I was most concerned about getting a mattress I liked, scared I'd buy something and it would be uncomfortable. But the mattress store let me buy a special cover and keep it for 90 days and I could exchange it if it didn't work for me. Well I loved it. The problem is the frame. I found this great frame from Broyhill. Nobody sold it locally or could get it for me, so I found it online at a good price. Checked out some reviews on the company and they seemed good, so I ordered it. Bed came faster than I was expecting, except they sent me the wrong version of the bed out of the same collection. I'd ordered one with underbed storage and they sent me just the regular one.

Apparently they had both beds listed with the same product number. They said to keep the frame I got so I'd have something to sleep on and they'd just send the underbed storage section and swap it out as they had the head and footboards. Ok, never got it. Called back, said they'd look into it and let me know what the issue was. Never got a call back. Can't get them to email me and every time I call I get "we'll look into it and call you back in a day or two" with no call back. Then I call again. Twice I got "It's on the way" followed by "I thought you'd got it already." 6 months later, this still isn't resolved and a deeper dig into the company has shown they have lots of problems like this and worse. Plus, I called today and Broyhill no longer makes the underbed storage version. I hate getting screwed and it sure seems to be happening to me a lot lately. Interestingly, the only business relationship I have going where I actually kinda trust the guy is my auto mechanic. :bang:

that just sucks :( sorry you have this headache

as for me- no match yesterday. got tremendous pressure from my school to try to scramble and settle vs moving forward with the aloo match. tried to ask them concretely if they thought this was a real risk for me given what I want and where I want to be and got generic responses like "better to match sooner vs later" and "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush" - absolutely nothing that was helpful in trying to assess how much of a risk I am really taking.
everyone has a vested interest - the programs who are calling and emailing me asking me to consider them, my school wants me to match but no one is really listening to me and taking into consideration the things that are important to me and how that plays into this whole scenario.

and i have 5 more weeks to wait

m2t, I feel crappy for you!!! :(

Can I play devil's advocate? Not trying to make it worse or better but maybe lay things out objectively for you. Statistically speaking, your chances in osteo match are significantly better than allo match. Going off past up to the most recent data. So that sez get what you can get.

There are quite a few DO friendly ACGME residencies, tho, but again you really need to ask yourself how well you felt those interviews went. They are almost exclusively smaller community programs, more likely rural-esque, as opposed to large city university programs. Also sez osteo scramble for what you can get.

Residency means a great many things and there is a discussion in itself. However, as someone who also considers residencies, in the grand scheme of life, a 3 year commitment to a program isn't a huge impediment to the rest of your life as a physician. Finish. Move to where you want to be. Practice the rest of your life. Hundreds of graduates "settle" and we allo's don't have the fortune of waiting it out. Our scramble is a scramble, OR it's wait another year! Get what you can get.

None of these points takes into consideration your emotional & personal perspective. And that is your own! The fact you are where you are (and congrats again), you are probably best discussing it w/ your family before going forward. It is a considerable gamble, but if your family is behind you, and you truly know you can NOT settle - GOOD LUCK!!!! Prayers! BEST WISHES! :)

mommy2three, sorry to hear about your situation :( and hope things work out in the best way possible.

that just sucks :( sorry you have this headache

as for me- no match yesterday. got tremendous pressure from my school to try to scramble and settle vs moving forward with the aloo match. tried to ask them concretely if they thought this was a real risk for me given what I want and where I want to be and got generic responses like "better to match sooner vs later" and "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush" - absolutely nothing that was helpful in trying to assess how much of a risk I am really taking.
everyone has a vested interest - the programs who are calling and emailing me asking me to consider them, my school wants me to match but no one is really listening to me and taking into consideration the things that are important to me and how that plays into this whole scenario.

and i have 5 more weeks to wait

I don't understand this. Is Osteopathic match in Feb.? I guess I ignorantly thought it would be around the same time as allo in March.

Also, if you don't match Osteo, doesn't that mean you have an even smaller chance of matching Allo? I don't understand the system really, and I thought you needed to take USMLE to match allo in the first place. This all sounds like a giant headache to me.

I don't understand this. Is Osteopathic match in Feb.? I guess I ignorantly thought it would be around the same time as allo in March.

Also, if you don't match Osteo, doesn't that mean you have an even smaller chance of matching Allo? I don't understand the system really, and I thought you needed to take USMLE to match allo in the first place. This all sounds like a giant headache to me.

Yes the DO match is mid February
The MD match is mid march

No I am not at a disadvantaged in family medicine going into the MD match.
And no you do NOT have to take the USMLE to match allo - it is speciality dependent but for family not needed

Hang in there. We're all rooting for you.

Yes the DO match is mid February
The MD match is mid march

No I am not at a disadvantaged in family medicine going into the MD match.
And no you do NOT have to take the USMLE to match allo - it is speciality dependent but for family not needed

Reactions: 3 users
Sorry to hear that, m2t. As for what to do, it's simple: if you'd prefer to risk not matching at all than end up at a random osteo program, then don't scramble. If you're more risk-averse and would rather match somewhere than risk going unmatched, then you should do the osteo scramble. Obviously you fall into the first group, and obviously you have your reasons. You don't have to justify them to your school or to anyone else.

I don't know that anyone will be able to give you an absolute number, but you already know that yes, you are taking a significant risk of not matching anywhere by not participating in the osteo scramble. That's why your administration is pushing you so hard to scramble. Have you thought about what you're going to do next year if you don't match? Because if you're not going to scramble, then it does make sense to have a plan B in the works.

Wholeheartedly, time to let your dreams of that bed go. Make sure they refund you the difference in price though.

Reactions: 2 users
Wholeheartedly, time to let your dreams of that bed go. Make sure they refund you the difference in price though.

Yeah, yeah. I know. I actually think I paid the price for the bed I received. The lying, run around stringing me along, wasting my time just pisses me off. If they'd told me up front they couldnt get it and offered me some options or a refund so i could get what i wanted I'd have been ok with it. Of course this thread, and Chips post about his tenants, really illustrates how minor this all is by comparison.

So here we go.... Farewell my beautiful bed.

http://www.wolffurniture.com/furniture/platform-or-low-profile-bed/king-storage-bed/1218828893

*disclaimer, that is NOT the company that screwed me.

Really frustrated... I hate getting screwed and it sure seems to be happening to me a lot lately. Interestingly, the only business relationship I have going where I actually kinda trust the guy is my auto mechanic. :bang:
That sucks. Often, getting screwed messes with one's ability to get a good night's sleep. But not like that!

I strongly dislike buying the same books over and over. But unless there's a bookstore near you that sells MCAT prep books (NOT online), how can you possibly avoid it??? Kaplan, for one, keeps selling the same darn books with different covers, different titles and slightly reorganized information. For example, I just bought a book called, Kaplan MCAT 45 - Advanced Prep for Advanced Students. And surprise surprise, it was the same book as Kaplan Advanced - Your Only Guide to a 45.

It's almost time for a Rip Off Report.

I strongly dislike buying the same books over and over. But unless there's a bookstore near you that sells MCAT prep books (NOT online), how can you possibly avoid it??? Kaplan, for one, keeps selling the same darn books with different covers, different titles and slightly reorganized information. For example, I just bought a book called, Kaplan MCAT 45 - Advanced Prep for Advanced Students. And surprise surprise, it was the same book as Kaplan Advanced - Your Only Guide to a 45.

It's almost time for a Rip Off Report.
You can look at the table of contents on amazon. In general, non subject specific books, with titles like "how to score great on MCAT" are a waste of time, regardless of the table of contents.

You can look at the table of contents on amazon.

That's irrelevant when it comes to practice tests and practice passages.

In general, non subject specific books, with titles like "how to score great on MCAT" are a waste of time, regardless of the table of contents.

I've personally found them to be very helpful.

Little miss stinker pup decided to do some free contractor work for me

@Chip N Sawbones need some extra money? I've got a job for you...

image.jpg

Last edited:
I wish I had a dog (not a puppy). I just read a great book for those of you who are dog lovers. It's called "How Dogs Love Us" by Gregory Berns. He's a professor of neuroeconomics (WTF does that even mean???) at Emory and did research on what dogs are thinking by doing fMRI of their brains while having them respond to various stimuli. Pretty cool. And his conclusion (that dogs do indeed love us) is of no surprise to anyone who has a canine family member.

Reactions: 4 users
I'd be more than happy to loan you one.... lol

There are a lot of great older dogs with rescues that are need of good homes that might be a good option for a busy professional like yourself.

I wish I had a dog (not a puppy). I just read a great book for those of you who are dog lovers. It's called "How Dogs Love Us" by Gregory Berns. He's a professor of neuroeconomics (WTF does that even mean???) at Emory and did research on what dogs are thinking by doing fMRI of their brains while having them respond to various stimuli. Pretty cool. And his conclusion (that dogs do indeed love us) is of no surprise to anyone who has a canine family member.

I just read a great book for those of you who are dog lovers. It's called "How Dogs Love Us" by Gregory Berns. He's a professor of neuroeconomics (WTF does that even mean???) at Emory and did research on what dogs are thinking by doing fMRI of their brains while having them respond to various stimuli. Pretty cool. And his conclusion (that dogs do indeed love us) is of no surprise to anyone who has a canine family member.
Awww.
Man, I miss having a dog. But I don't think I can have one with my current and, presumably, near future life style (aka "never at home") :(

Awww.
Man, I miss having a dog. But I don't think I can have one with my current and, presumably, near future life style (aka "never at home") :(

I'm not home a lot either, but we have pretty decent rates for doggy daycare here. My dogs love it. So I commute to class and come home exhausted and they play with their puppy friends and come home exhausted. Its a win win and then we all curl up and crash together after dinner. I'd still recommend waiting til after residency unless you have a partner to help out.

Awww.
That's my problem too. And the doggie daycare is great if you're working normal business hrs, but obviously I'm not (and won't be even as an attending). I need a 24 hr doggie day and nitecare!

That's my problem too. And the doggie daycare is great if you're working normal business hrs, but obviously I'm not (and won't be even as an attending). I need a 24 hr doggie day and nitecare!

Our local one has pretty extended hours, like 5 a.m to 8 p.m. Due probably to the major medical center here. Then we have a few businesses that do doggy exercise and dog walking at all hours of the day/night as well. I've had to use them at night since I work long night shifts.

If I didn't have those options I wouldn't have gotten them. I would've volunteered at an animal shelter instead.

I have a dog with a nearly normal sized brain who is available for one of those infomercial like fundraisers: For the cost of a cup of coffee a day you can "adopt" her. She'll live here, sleep here, but you can call her your own. In exchange for sponsoring my dog, you will receive a monthly update with pictures of things she's pooped in, cars that have hit her, you know...random headshots and things like that that. I'll even change her name to anything you want, since she more or less responds to the tone of your voice rather than her current name.

I have a dog with a nearly normal sized brain who is available for one of those infomercial like fundraisers: For the cost of a cup of coffee a day you can "adopt" her. She'll live here, sleep here, but you can call her your own. In exchange for sponsoring my dog, you will receive a monthly update with pictures of things she's pooped in, cars that have hit her, you know...random headshots and things like that that. I'll even change her name to anything you want, since she more or less responds to the tone of your voice rather than her current name.

:laugh:

Thank you snow plow for the 3 ft drift in front of my driveway before i arrived home from my night shift. Thank you snow blower for deciding you can't move forward even on flat sidewalk. Thank you back for torquing and hurting like hell trying to plow through 3 ft drift so I can get my car off the street. Thank you tree for somehow managing to dump snow down the back of my pants while I leaned forward to duck under the branches. And finally, thank you other tree for dumping snow down the back of my shirt collar while I stood up to try and deal with the snow going down the back of my pants. I think I should just limp off to bed now

That kind of defeats the purpose. What I really want is to be able to play with the dog any time I feel like it, while you take over when I'm busy or otherwise not feeling like it. Plus, you clean up the poop. Oh, and you'll have to bring her down to FL for a visit so I don't have to go to Cleveland in February. Brrrrr.

wholeheartedly said:
Then we have a few businesses that do doggy exercise and dog walking at all hours of the day/night as well. I've had to use them at night since I work long night shifts.
What do you have to pay for something like that? Because I would need 24 hour reliable services if I was going to have a dog.

If I didn't have those options I wouldn't have gotten them. I would've volunteered at an animal shelter instead.
That's what I'm probably going to end up doing. Either that, or getting a cat. The only problem with getting a cat is that my mom and sister are allergic and won't be able to visit me if I do. Hmm. Maybe a turtle?

I don't think I mentioned this, but my beta fish died last month, so I'm now officially petless. :(

That kind of defeats the purpose. What I really want is to be able to play with the dog any time I feel like it, while you take over when I'm busy or otherwise not feeling like it. Plus, you clean up the poop. Oh, and you'll have to bring her down to FL for a visit so I don't have to go to Cleveland in February. Brrrrr.

What do you have to pay for something like that? Because I would need 24 hour reliable services if I was going to have a dog.

That's what I'm probably going to end up doing. Either that, or getting a cat. The only problem with getting a cat is that my mom and sister are allergic and won't be able to visit me if I do. Hmm. Maybe a turtle?

I don't think I mentioned this, but my beta fish died last month, so I'm now officially petless. :(
Raaaaabbbbiiiitttt
I miss my hypoallergenic raabbbiiittt... litter trained, can be left alone sitting the day in their cage...you need flemmish giant. Bigger than my walnut-sized-brain dog.

Last edited:

Really depends on location. Locally doggy daycare ranges from 12-20 dollars a day, with folks who work at the clinic getting a 20% discount at the later shop. I use a cheaper mom and pop shop where they've been very accomodating of my goofy schedule. They have a two dog discount. Dogs go there when I'm out of town all day for class.

The other service is one where they do fast beaks which involve coming to your house and doing a 15-20 minute potty break and exercise session or a full break that's 40 minutes of whatever high intensity activity your dog can handle such as tagging along for jogging, biking, rollerblading, walking with a weighted pack, etc. You buy in packages and the more breaks you buy together. So for nightly fast breaks while I'm at work, I pay about 12 bucks.

Edit*. One thing to note is that while I was doing my field experience for school surrounded by undergrad premeds, I got repeated offers to take care of my dogs if I needed it. Only limiting factor was I live an hour and a half away. College can be lonely so I'm sure you could probably find a willing student or two who would be happy to work cheaply for doggy time.

Raaaaabbbbiiiitttt
I miss my hypoallergenic raabbbiiittt... litter trained, can be left alone sitting the day in their cage...you need flemmish giant. Bigger than my walnut-sized-brain dog.

Bunnies are a good idea. Also, totally serious here, rats make pretty awesome pets as well. A former classmate of mine has always had pet rats. They pretty highly trainable, friendly, and you can easily have two to keep each other company.

I can't even get my dogs to do most of that stuff....

I feel extremely frustrated at this point; cannot get any volunteer positions that will fit in with my current work schedule. Cannot quit my job and my application is beginning to look like this; good grades, years of experience in various fields that exemplify work ethic and people skills but hey you have no medical experience. You have multiple family members with chronic ailments in your life since you were 5 but hey that doesn't mean anything because thats not going to make you a great doctor like the other guy who has over 500 hours of community service.

Bunnies are a good idea. Also, totally serious here, rats make pretty awesome pets as well. A former classmate of mine has always had pet rats. They pretty highly trainable, friendly, and you can easily have two to keep each other company.

I can't even get my dogs to do most of that stuff....
It's cool for sure. I was thinking of a reptile though. Because the reason why your dogs don't do most of that stuff is because you don't have the time to spend training them to do it. And neither do I if I had a rat or a dog.

Feeling crappy here. I know I want this; I have an incredibly supportive spouse, a family/friends network to back me up, and three kids who are excited for (future) Dr. Mom. But I'm also having terrible Mommy guilt for the time I'll be spending away. :cryi:

I have one week to pack as much house as I can - I am not even close to where I need to be