Who Else Feels Crappy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
M2T, why on earth are you taking an ICU rotation in April of your fourth year? Please tell me it's because your administration is an insane bunch of sadists and that you're not doing it by choice.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Oh yay, another week where the forecasted high is 0 degrees.:smack:

Officially finished being a night shifter as of 7 yesterday morning. Got a phone call at 10 a.m. asking if I could cover night shift that night :uhno:

M2T, why on earth are you taking an ICU rotation in April of your fourth year? Please tell me it's because your administration is an insane bunch of sadists and that you're not doing it by choice.

Yep that is where I was assigned for my 12 weeks of IM in 4 week blocks I end my year with

It is supposed to have an awesome attending who is not too sadistic though

I am more dreading the cardio in may

But back to whining

1 month til house closing + way too much left to do + graduation stress + first communion stress + teenager stress = one very frazzled mommy

Members don't see this ad :)
Today is a major "I'm not cut out for this. I will never have the time nor the intelligence to make it to med school and beyond" day where I feel like a total and complete failure. The up and down is getting old. I'm also slightly annoyed that my school is making me take extra classes that aren't even required for pretty much any med schools. I'd have so much more time for extra curriculars and, well, everything, if it weren't for this upper level genetics course.

Keep your head up... I had a similar one, well, 16 hours straight of school and home work w/ a physics II midterm that I can't say whether I crushed it or it crushed me... We'd all have so much time for everything if it weren't for everything else. It's all just a test. A very hard one, but the road's been paved before you.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm torn....
Out of 15 or so apps, I have had only 2 interviews- 1 rejection and 1 waitlist. I'm still waiting on 2 MD schools and 3 DO schools on interviews. I've realized I really need to retake the MCAT for a 3rd time and reapply this upcoming cycle if I want to have a better shot for admission and an HPSP scholarship- that thought nauseates me. I'm debating on pulling my remaining apps and chalking this up to experience. On top of all this, my wife should be getting on the kidney transplant list soon. She doesn't want me to give up and keep up hope for this cycle. She's afraid that this waitlist is my only chance and I might lose my chance for good if I give it up.

I'm torn....
Out of 15 or so apps, I have had only 2 interviews- 1 rejection and 1 waitlist. I'm still waiting on 2 MD schools and 3 DO schools on interviews. I've realized I really need to retake the MCAT for a 3rd time and reapply this upcoming cycle if I want to have a better shot for admission and an HPSP scholarship- that thought nauseates me. I'm debating on pulling my remaining apps and chalking this up to experience. On top of all this, my wife should be getting on the kidney transplant list soon. She doesn't want me to give up and keep up hope for this cycle. She's afraid that this waitlist is my only chance and I might lose my chance for good if I give it up.
She's right. You have nothing to lose by remaining on the waitlist. Think about it. Unless you're having second thoughts about attending med school, what would you possibly gain by withdrawing from the waitlist?

Survived my first 3 days in my new position. Haven't made a fool of myself in front of the medical directors, yet...

Now that I'm no longer working weekend nights like i hae for the past 5 years, I have my first non vacation Friday night off tonight in practically forever.

How do I spend it? Going to bed at 830. :unsure:

Reactions: 2 users
At the company party I found out that one of my LOR writers (former employee/supervisor) had lunch with one of my current coworkers and had asked if I had left for med school yet. The current coworker didn't know about my plans as I hadn't made it known to my workplace to protect my income until closer till moving time. I was honest and said yes, I'm 99% sure I'm attending medical school starting August and would have to quit, but didn't want everyone to know in case it hurt my employment in the meantime. She didn't look that thrilled at the news, but maybe it was just because she thinks it's crazy or she's sad I'm leaving... She's related through marriage to one of my main bosses, though, who I'm not sure will take the news well, and now they may be finding out a lot sooner than I had hoped... Ugh.

Every time this topic comes up, I find myself grateful to work where I do.

Hopefully, if it does get back to your main boss, he's just annoyed and that's all.

At the company party I found out that one of my LOR writers (former employee/supervisor) had lunch with one of my current coworkers and had asked if I had left for med school yet. The current coworker didn't know about my plans as I hadn't made it known to my workplace to protect my income until closer till moving time. I was honest and said yes, I'm 99% sure I'm attending medical school starting August and would have to quit, but didn't want everyone to know in case it hurt my employment in the meantime. She didn't look that thrilled at the news, but maybe it was just because she thinks it's crazy or she's sad I'm leaving... She's related through marriage to one of my main bosses, though, who I'm not sure will take the news well, and now they may be finding out a lot sooner than I had hoped... Ugh.

Members don't see this ad :)
She's right. You have nothing to lose by remaining on the waitlist. Think about it. Unless you're having second thoughts about attending med school, what would you possibly gain by withdrawing from the waitlist?

Thanks Q, you guys are right. I don't have anything to lose! I'm going to stay on the waitlist and ride this thing out to the end!

Reactions: 2 users
Not gonna post details, but tonight just sucks.

Whatever it is I am sorry :(

I think we have both had our fair share of crap hitting the fan this year and are past done - here is hoping we are done with the bad and can go onto good

Whatever it is I am sorry :(

I think we have both had our fair share of crap hitting the fan this year and are past done - here is hoping we are done with the bad and can go onto good
Actually I really probably shouldn't complain. My new job is great and the other stuff is relatively minor in the big scheme of things. This one just kinda hurts, but its an old hurt.

Two sick, pathetically miserable puppies.

$450 in vet bills over the course of 4 days.

Ouch!

( they should both recover ok, my bank acct. not so much. )

Worried about one of my courses and it's too late to drop. Felt good going into the first exam, had done great on quizzes, homework and practice test, but I ended up with a 69%. Class mean/median were 61/64%, and there is no curve. I know I'll be better prepared going forward, but it's unlikely I can get an A in the course now. Crossing my fingers for a surprise curve at the end of the semester, because I need the A for GPA repair.

I think the worst part is this wasn't a course I expected to struggle in at all, I have experience in the subject and I enjoy it, but now it is one more thing to worry about.

My father in law had a cardiac arrest last night playing basketball, and cracked his skull open for good measure from falling down. Still waiting on news on his status from family back there. We're on the west coast, he's in Boston. Ugh, the waiting. :( He only turned 60 a couple weeks ago...

My father in law had a cardiac arrest last night playing basketball, and cracked his skull open for good measure from falling down. Still waiting on news on his status from family back there. We're on the west coast, he's in Boston. Ugh, the waiting. :( He only turned 60 a couple weeks ago...

Oh man, that sucks...

That's really rough. :/ I hope he recovers as well as possible.

Oh no :(
So sorry to hear this.
I am praying for his recovery and for your family as well
I can only begin to imagine what it is like being on the other coast when this happens

This really should be the happiest week of my life - I am about ready to match. We should be all geared up to close on the new house and have final approval of our mortgage by end of week

But I am absolutely terrified to my core.
That girl who was told she would never get here is back - the one who had so many doubts placed in her head and came in with a chip on her shoulder

So despite ranking 17 programs I am absolutely terrified come Monday I am going to open up the email to the we regret to inform you that you did not match - having gone through that once with the DO match probably not real helpful right now

Having a major doubting Thomas week and trying to shake it

kind of freaking out about getting LOR from profs, esp science profs.

Hope things go your way. Just curious how you can be about to close n a place if you don't know the match outcome?

This really should be the happiest week of my life - I am about ready to match. We should be all geared up to close on the new house and have final approval of our mortgage by end of week

But I am absolutely terrified to my core.
That girl who was told she would never get here is back - the one who had so many doubts placed in her head and came in with a chip on her shoulder

So despite ranking 17 programs I am absolutely terrified come Monday I am going to open up the email to the we regret to inform you that you did not match - having gone through that once with the DO match probably not real helpful right now

Having a major doubting Thomas week and trying to shake it

Just took Step 2 CS. Wow. I can feel so incompetent when you put a timer on me!!! :wow:

Hope things go your way. Just curious how you can be about to close n a place if you don't know the match outcome?

We made the decision before I applied that I would try to stay in a limited geographical area and my husband and kids would stay here for school and my parents whose help we know we are going to need more of
As he says - if I am working 80 hours a week it does not really matter where I am cause they will not be seeing me much anyway
Yeah not ideal but I have spent the last four years splitting time at various points and times so nothing new

(I'm more sensitive than usual in this post because I'm low on sleep. My apartment keeps filling up with fumes that are making me dizzy and giving me a rush as though I drank an energy beverage. Landlord won't do anything. I can't sleep there. I will probably have to move.)

Pet Peeves of the day

Miserable Moderators (not SDN): Earlier today, I spent a lot of time giving a very thoughtful response to someone on another forum, a forum I just joined. Sadly, I overlooked a tiny thing in their TOS and got a very rude and harsh warning and all of my hard work deleted. So, I spent another hour redoing the post with the person in mind who started the thread. Then dope! Same ol thing. I had included a link to a very long article (which I didn't entirely read) and just so happened that there was another tiny thing on that linked webpage that caught the moderator's eye AGAIN! I just hate putting so much work into something and expecting a "thank you" but instead getting accused, deleted, insulted, scolded, warned, etc. It's also difficult to try to help someone twice and just turn away without having any positive impact at all. The subject matter is relevant, but I'd rather not get into that here...

Misdiagnosing the MCAT test taker: I love it when an MD test prep authors write answer keys that says things like, "If you picked C, you inserted your own opinion...," or "Impulsive students tend to pick C...". Certainly, EVERYONE does things for EXACTLY the same reasons. Sometimes the most book-smart people lack the most commonsense.

Stupid Studies: Even earlier today, I participated in a study where we all filled out a questionnaire. The questionnaire asked us about our opinions of things that didn't matter on their own, but could indirectly cause a whole lot of trouble. How can anyone get the right data if they don't ask the right questions (or provide a comments section somewhere)? Sometimes the most book-smart people lack the most commonsense.

Maybe tomorrow will be better.

(I'm more sensitive than usual in this post because I'm low on sleep. My apartment keeps filling up with fumes that are making me dizzy and giving me a rush as though I drank an energy beverage. Landlord won't do anything. I can't sleep there. I will probably have to move.)

Weren't you having trouble with your landlord awhile back?

What kind of fumes do you think it is. If its something potentially toxic you could always report it to like the Fire Dept or something, and your landlord would have to address it then.

Both children were sick the past two weeks. One is still sick and had to visit the emergency department for the second time this week with an allergic reaction to medication she was on.
I just looked at the course schedule for the summer and there are only two classes being offered that go toward my major I am attempting to complete. I was hoping to take fifteen credit ours this summer. Ugh.
Stress, stress, stress...

Just feeling overwhelmed. With my father in law trying to recover from his heart attack and still barely conscious in the ICU, to the remodeling/fixing up of our current home not really turning out as nice as I hoped, I just can't seem to handle it today. How hard is it to mount a lightswitch straight, and to remove covers and not get paint smudged on everything when you paint a room? I hired professionals to AVOID this, I could do things wrong myself for much cheaper.

I'm also really ready to be done with my current job but can't afford to quit as we're bleeding money with this fix up in hopes we can rent or sell the home for something other than a loss; and the stress of not knowing where we'll be in the fall until I get some idea on any possible financial aid... Just can't seem to handle it well today. Hoping it's not an indication of my lack of ability for the medical profession. Ugh.

Hang in there. That's a lot of crap to deal with all at once.

Just feeling overwhelmed. With my father in law trying to recover from his heart attack and still barely conscious in the ICU, to the remodeling/fixing up of our current home not really turning out as nice as I hoped, I just can't seem to handle it today. How hard is it to mount a lightswitch straight, and to remove covers and not get paint smudged on everything when you paint a room? I hired professionals to AVOID this, I could do things wrong myself for much cheaper.

I'm also really ready to be done with my current job but can't afford to quit as we're bleeding money with this fix up in hopes we can rent or sell the home for something other than a loss; and the stress of not knowing where we'll be in the fall until I get some idea on any possible financial aid... Just can't seem to handle it well today. Hoping it's not an indication of my lack of ability for the medical profession. Ugh.

Weren't you having trouble with your landlord awhile back?

What kind of fumes do you think it is. If its something potentially toxic you could always report it to like the Fire Dept or something, and your landlord would have to address it then.

My apartment is basically falling apart. The trouble with reporting the fumes is that they are NOT constant. They are really strong and potent and kind of float around in clusters near the floor. I rarely smell them full force while standing up, but when sitting near the floor or lying in bed it's literally suffocating. I think the fumes are unhealthy because they sort of burn when you breath them in and they make you very dizzy and give you a rush (like guzzling coffee) after just one breath.

I don't know for certain what the source is. It is probably an oil exhaust vent near front door and window. It also could be exhaust from the boiler room, or pesticides either from next door or the back hallway. I also somehow get strong smoke from neighbors' chimneys.

It's terrible though. It's been waking me up every time I try to go to sleep, giving me a headache that goes away when I leave the house after a few hours. This whole situation is so exhausting that I may not even thinking on my feet well enough to solve the problem. I've written the landlord a letter and stayed in hotels part of the time. Someone from the management office called me yesterday and told me that they were about to fix the front door which might be letting the fumes in. I just hope these fumes don't give me brain cancer down the road.

I've been looking for a place to move and for $1000 a month, I will have to settle for living with housemates. So far, while interviewing potential housemates, I've encountered people with rule lists, frequent house meetings and tension in the air, a junkie pretending that the smell of her drugs was really just a candle, a couple who wanted a live-in surrogate and didn't say so in the ad, etc. I may need to go to another city. Boston is just too expensive. And it's such a bad time to move: I'm studying for the MCAT and running out of money to do so.... (Blues riff here.)

Yikes. You need to get the heck out of there. That could definitely be something toxic. There's probably carbon monoxide in that exhaust. Can you go buy a carbon monoxide detector and put in a wall outlet near the floor? If it goes off you'd be perfectly justified calling the fire dept. and they will come and look for the source. they would probably evacuate the place. plus, if you have renters insurance they might cover you to say in a hotel until its fixed. But that's not something to mess around with. You might just pass out and not wake up one of these times and all this hard work you're putting in will be for nothing.

But that environment is not conducive to being healthy or performing well academically. Can you find a roommate through the school, like a classmate or another professional student? Maybe better odds of less drama. Don't know, that's tough.

My apartment is basically falling apart. The trouble with reporting the fumes is that they are NOT constant. They are really strong and potent and kind of float around in clusters near the floor. I rarely smell them full force while standing up, but when sitting near the floor or lying in bed it's literally suffocating. I think the fumes are unhealthy because they sort of burn when you breath them in and they make you very dizzy and give you a rush (like guzzling coffee) after just one breath.

I don't know for certain what the source is. It is probably an oil exhaust vent near front door and window. It also could be exhaust from the boiler room, or pesticides either from next door or the back hallway. I also somehow get strong smoke from neighbors' chimneys.

It's terrible though. It's been waking me up every time I try to go to sleep, giving me a headache that goes away when I leave the house after a few hours. This whole situation is so exhausting that I may not even thinking on my feet well enough to solve the problem. I've written the landlord a letter and stayed in hotels part of the time. Someone from the management office called me yesterday and told me that they were about to fix the front door which might be letting the fumes in. I just hope these fumes don't give me brain cancer down the road.

I've been looking for a place to move and for $1000 a month, I will have to settle for living with housemates. So far, while interviewing potential housemates, I've encountered people with rule lists, frequent house meetings and tension in the air, a junkie pretending that the smell of her drugs was really just a candle, a couple who wanted a live-in surrogate and didn't say so in the ad, etc. I may need to go to another city. Boston is just too expensive. And it's such a bad time to move: I'm studying for the MCAT and running out of money to do so.... (Blues riff here.)
Ike's

Yikes. You need to get the heck out of there. That could definitely be something toxic. There's probably carbon monoxide in that exhaust. Can you go buy a carbon monoxide detector and put in a wall outlet near the floor? If it goes off you'd be perfectly justified calling the fire dept. and they will come and look for the source. they would probably evacuate the place. plus, if you have renters insurance they might cover you to say in a hotel until its fixed. But that's not something to mess around with. You might just pass out and not wake up one of these times and all this hard work you're putting in will be for nothing.

But that environment is not conducive to being healthy or performing well academically. Can you find a roommate through the school, like a classmate or another professional student? Maybe better odds of less drama. Don't know, that's tough.

Ike's

Thanks for the response. I'm going to try couchsurfing.org since most of my friends are in another city.

I'm definitely not thinking on my feet as usually because every time I try to get some rest, I wake up due to the fumes.

I already have a carbon monoxide detector, but not a good one. I called Keyspan a while back after smelling fumes and they actually found carbon monoxide in my apartment and in the building's hallways - even though the carbon monoxide detector never went off. Now we have National Grid. I plan to call them next time the fumes are bad. Trouble is, the fumes come and go and in the past it's taken the gas company an hour to arrive. Maybe they'll still find something. I just don't want to "waste my bullets" by calling when it's not that bad (and then having it get worse later).

I'm not currently enrolled at a college, otherwise I would contact the housing dept. for emergency help - which most schools provide. And I let my renters insurance lapse. Good job me.

This situation might be resolved when my front door is installed next week. It's infuriating that my new front door has arrived and is ready to be installed but they're taking their time with it. If I were to take the onus, it would be because I'm not sure how to explain this situation to the landlord so that it sounds credible. (I've tried to explain over the phone and in writing.) Situations this bad are rare. No matter what I say, it sounds like I'm exaggerating, but I'm not. Suggestions about how to describe this fume problem are welcome. I may call back the guy who's going to install the door and give him a financial incentive to hurry up. That might go over better than a desperate explanation which he didn't seem to care about.

(I explained how bad my situation was to the maintenance guy and he was like, "Well I'll do it next week." using a tone of voice that suggested that he thought that was making good time. I told him that the fumes are causing dizziness, tremors, and sickness. And he said, "Well, I can't come early next week because I have to get a parking place approved." I said, "This is an emergency. I'll pay your ticket." Him, "Well I'll try to make it on Monday.")

As unacceptable as this is, I think I'm stuck because if I call the city's housing inspector, additional repairs might be ordered on my apartment which would make it uninhabitable and interfere with my MCAT. National Grid is still an option if they can find the fumes which come and go (about every hour or two in 30 degree weather).

As an aside, I've noticed that my landlord and his real estate management company have a one star rating on Yelp.com and over 50 reviews (almost all of them are one star). Certainly I'm upset with them right now, but I'm thinking that I might get a group of tenants and ex-tenants together later on and put together all of my paralegal contacts and try to sue this company for restitution. With any luck, it might help pay for my medical school - and save lives!

Last edited:
And I have to scramble - still absolutely clueless as to how this happened

@Elewynne are things any better now?

@mommy2three As a pre-med, I have no clue about scramble, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you!

Finally heard back from one of the several physicians I contacted about shadowing. Rejected. :( *sigh* Not looking like I'll ever get anywhere near the 100 hours of shadowing my school's review board requires. I've been really worried about how I'm going to magically produce LORs today, if I can't meet my review board's requirements, can't get any physicians to give me the time of day, can't figure out how to pull off this whole "getting to know your professors" thing, am not hearing back from any volunteer organizations, and can't even find a job.

Also, blah blah money blah blah feeling stuck in life blah blah being alone over Spring Break sucks.

Finally heard back from one of the several physicians I contacted about shadowing. Rejected. :( *sigh* Not looking like I'll ever get anywhere near the 100 hours of shadowing my school's review board requires. I've been really worried about how I'm going to magically produce LORs today, if I can't meet my review board's requirements, can't get any physicians to give me the time of day, can't figure out how to pull off this whole "getting to know your professors" thing, am not hearing back from any volunteer organizations, and can't even find a job.

Also, blah blah money blah blah feeling stuck in life blah blah being alone over Spring Break sucks.

Is there a family doctor that you regularly see? It's not hard to talk to him or her and have the person set you up.

As for the 100 hours of shadowing, it's just for show. You can literally shadow a doc for a day and he'll write you a LOR, certifying that you have 100 hours of shadowing.

Keep looking!

Honestly, in my opinion, these steps should be the last. At this point, you should focus on finishing your prereqs with good grades. The other checkpoints are just for show.

Is there a family doctor that you regularly see? It's not hard to talk to him or her and have the person set you up.

As for the 100 hours of shadowing, it's just for show. You can literally shadow a doc for a day and he'll write you a LOR, certifying that you have 100 hours of shadowing.

Keep looking!

Honestly, in my opinion, these steps should be the last. At this point, you should focus on finishing your prereqs with good grades. The other checkpoints are just for show.
Not in this town. My "regular" doctor is in my old town, although I might try calling the office and asking if I can shadow her anytime this week since I'm off for Spring Break. Otherwise, I'd probably have to skip a day of classes to shadow her since her office is an hour and a half away.

As for asking a doctor to lie and say I shadowed him or her for 100 hours when I only shadowed for a day, I can't see anyone responding favorably to such a request. lol...

Not in this town. My "regular" doctor is in my old town, although I might try calling the office and asking if I can shadow her anytime this week since I'm off for Spring Break. Otherwise, I'd probably have to skip a day of classes to shadow her since her office is an hour and a half away.

As for asking a doctor to lie and say I shadowed him or her for 100 hours when I only shadowed for a day, I can't see anyone responding favorably to such a request. lol...

You're not asking the doc to lie. In reality, a lot of docs offer this to the applicant. At some point, they will find you to be a nuisance. It's just a quicker way for the doc to get rid of you.

I see. I figured I would just be asking doctors to let me shadow them for a day or two each anyway because I feel like asking someone to shadow them long-term is incredibly intrusive. I suck at this.
Keep in mind that it can take some time to set it up. When I shadowed last year, they wanted documentation about certain vaccines and TB check. That can easily take a few weeks or more to get done, depending on how easy is to set up appointments. It ended up as one of the major reasons why I applied late this cycle. With that said - keep trying, you never know what is going to work.

The responses I've got had also been quite disappointing. One of the doctors put me on a 'wait list' and I never heard from her. One of the local hospitals made it very clear that by shadowing I will be a nuisance to them and to the patients, that I should be quieter than a fly on the wall, that they'll let me shadow only for a couple of hours. Then, to make their choice from all the candidates, they asked for an essay about how my shadowing will contribute to their hospital. :coldfeet::coldfeet::coldfeet: