Who Else Feels Great

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mafunk

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Feeling great! Lately I've had this feeling... like I just KNOW I'm going to be a physician. Like come heck or high water I will figure out how to get accepted and how to succeed.

Anyone else feeling hopeful and good?

I'm 43 years old and have some serious bad grades from 25 years ago. But I feel like the good Lord is really helping me pursue this dream of being a physician. Why do I say that?

Ok, so it's not all wine and roses. For example I struggled with my Gen Chem II grade. BUT it's been my unwillingness to let this hold me back that has helped me feel even better about this path.

I'm excelling in bio and physics. And, based upon my preliminary O-Chem work I find it much more enjoyable than Gen Chem II.

Ok... so what... that is just academic stuff. Now what I feel really 'blessed' about.

• Someone I barely know gave me a free MCAT test prep course.
  • I've been volunteering at a medical clinic in town and they are so incredibly nice. It's such a joy to volunteer with people who truly care about others.
  • I see that others are having a hard time finding shadowing opportunities. Somehow I have more shadowing invitations than I could possibly pursue.
  • I lucked out and now get to sit in on second year med school classes on a regular basis. I find it very inspiring... and I'm learning alot
  • A new free medical clinic is opening in town. I spotted them while driving by one day. I called them to volunteer as a medical assistant. Today is my first day of training! What is so awesome is that tons of folks have called wanting to volunteer and somehow I lucked out and got the 'job'. Also nobody at the clinic gets paid, which I like as it keeps the mission 'pure'. The founders are awesome people. I was also able to use my previous skills to build them a nice website, facebook page, twitter account and printed marketing materials.
  • This will be my third year in a row offering yoga fundraisers. I get to help an environmental cause while enjoying a lush, tropical Florida setting.
  • In my volunteer work I get to help people truly in need, all the while getting awesome, hands on patient care experience.
  • This sounds so corny, but I love working with the patients. It is so rewarding to be able to help folks in such a tangible way. One reason I know this is the right path for me is the work invigorates me, rather than draining me. Plus, even when I'm asked to do menial tasks I do them with joy... I never feel put out.
  • And, not to brag (ok I'm bragging)... but I'm really good with patients. I know how to 'reach' them... connect... get them to smile AND to be compliant.
  • Oh... and one more thing. I never used to get sick. Then for the past couple of years any time I was around anyone even with a sneeze I would catch it. Now I never get sick. At my volunteer work I'm around sick folks all day (been volunteering for 7 months) and I never catch it...never. I think it is some kind of 'good karma' shield.
OK, who else is feeling awesome and hopeful?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
I'm actually feeling kind of lost and out of it so I'll give this exercise a try.

I'm grateful I

... finished my prereqs with a 4.0
... hit my target of a balanced 30 on the MCAT on the first try
... had money saved when I was laid off
... and therefore dug myself only $10K into debt going to school and supporting myself for two years without work
... only gained 15 pounds doing prereqs (I guess it could be worse. I'm a stress snacker)
... have a part-time job now and people still pay me to freelance from my old career (though I need benefits and more money... sigh, see this is hard for me to stay positive)
... I still own a home and have two renters to help me with the mortgage
... I really enjoy the hospital where I volunteer in the ER

Reactions: 1 users
I'm actually feeling kind of lost and out of it so I'll give this exercise a try.

I'm grateful I

... finished my prereqs with a 4.0
... hit my target of a balanced 30 on the MCAT on the first try
... had money saved when I was laid off
... and therefore dug myself only $10K into debt going to school and supporting myself for two years without work
... only gained 15 pounds doing prereqs (I guess it could be worse. I'm a stress snacker)
... have a part-time job now and people still pay me to freelance from my old career (though I need benefits and more money... sigh, see this is hard for me to stay positive)
... I still own a home and have two renters to help me with the mortgage
... I really enjoy the hospital where I volunteer in the ER

Wow... it sounds like you have accomplished a ton. Great grades, solid MCAT, supporting yourself fully, rewarding volunteer work AND... you still own your own home. Did you apply yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm grateful that I survived the first 1/3 of intern year with my sense of humor mostly intact, even if it *is* mostly at my own expense. What can I say except that, judging from the entertainment I have given to others around the hospital, I could have been a natural at slapstick comedy. :hungover:

I went all this time without getting sick until two days ago when I came down with a cold. Sucks. I'm also losing my voice, which should make doing my job interesting. But I'm grateful to have decent and affordable health insurance, especially when I take care of so many folks who don't and who suffer for it.

I'm grateful to have a job and a decent salary, because again, I take care of plenty of folks who don't.

I'm grateful that I'm not addicted to drugs/alcohol/tobacco. I'm grateful that I'm not schizophrenic or a prisoner chained to my hospital bed or a victim of abuse. As much as I moan and groan about certain things sometimes, I'd much rather have my problems than those problems.

And finally, I'm grateful that I don't have to go through med school again. Not that it wasn't worth it, but once was definitely more than enough. I suppose I shall be saying the same thing about residency in 2.67 years. ;)

This is part of my problem. I'm on the fence. I could click the submit button today. Everything is up. Got my MCAT score in early Sept., but I waited to fill out my app until I knew my score. So I spent September getting my rec letters (I have 3 science and one work LOR ready to go and one volunteer and one DO letter on the way). My transcripts have been received by AMCAS and AACOMAS. My essay has been edited and refined and is uploaded.

But I keep worrying... should I wait until spring? Should I retake the MCAT? Will applying this late hurt me when/if I need to reapply in June?

Also, I have maybe $2K left on my credit card to apply so the number of places I can submit is limited.

I desperately need a FT job for the benefits and income or I'm going to ruin my credit rating. I am a little scared about the prospects of going to medical school with $10K in cc debt. (I wasn't eligible for fed loans for my DIY post bacc.)

Keeping a postive attitude definitely helps in this journey.

There were several times when I almost threw in the towel but I am grateful that I am finally able to end my premed career thanks to all the people who have taught me and helped me achieve my dream.

Last edited:
All's well here!

Volunteering going great
Running going great
Organic going much better than expected- 100 on exam 1, just found out
Work going ok
Ring shopping for the girlfriend this weekend!

Reactions: 1 user
Keeping a postive attitude definitely helps in this journey.

There were several times that I almost threw in the towel but I am grateful that I am finally able to end my premed career thanks to all the people who has taught me and helped me achieve my dream.

Where will you be attending?

I'm feeling great but impatient. I want to finish my BA NOW, especially now that its only use will be getting me into a post-bac.

I'm so impatient that I've been weighing putting Scripps ahead of SFSU on my personal ranking of postbac programs, but I have to keep reminding myself that every time I sit down to actually analyze the pros and cons, I always come to the conclusion that a one-year postbac would be great, and less expensive, but saving $25k and being the class of 2018 vs the class of 2019 isn't worth the emotional stress of being away from my husband for a full calendar year (not to mention the financial stress of maintaining two households).

So in short, I feel great, but will feel even BETTER once I'm actually doing relevant coursework and making more tangible progress.

Tired but feeling great. I just got a 99 on my organic test! Better yet, after I got the test back I spotted a mistake and pointed it out to the professor, so most of the class will get two more points and I get a 101.

Sorry to brag, but I'm just enjoying the feeling for another day or two. Then I get my Biology test results back, which probably won't be so good.

Congrats to everyone in good spirits! I'm feeling great, too!

During my last year or so of college, I hit a really rough patch. My confidance dropped, and my grades nose-dived. The worse I felt about myself the worse my grades got, and it became this awful cycle. After sulking for awhile, I finally decided to suck it up and move onward. It's been great! Since then, I've:

- established an amazing relationship with an awesome guy
- worked my butt off in the subjects I was lacking in and scored a 31 on the MCAT!
- found an amazing job in the exact field of medicine I hope to enter
- fulfilled a life long dream of living in a foreign country
- finally applied to medical school
- received two interviews, one at one of my dream schools!

I'm not accepted yet, and I know I might not be this cycle. However, I'm feeling confidant, and even if I don't make it this time, I know that with enough work I can get there! It's amazing what a little confidance can do.

Members don't see this ad :)
wow, the positive energy is oozing through my computer screen and rubbing off on me.

gotta say thanks since i've been having so many up and down feelings about diving into what seems like an endless journey into medicine. sometimes i feel great and confident that its totally doable, and sometimes i feel overwhelmed with life in itself. i could use all the encouragement i need... and this thread certainly helps. :)

good luck to all of you. :cool:

Feeling great! Lately I've had this feeling... like I just KNOW I'm going to be a physician. Like come heck or high water I will figure out how to get accepted and how to succeed.

Good for you :) I've come to a similar realization in the past few weeks and it is a great feeling for sure.

I feel great.

[YOUTUBE]Y6rE0EakhG8[/YOUTUBE]

I feel great that my school is going to accept statistics as a math req for my B.S. No more Calc :D

I feel great that I'm going to medical school for free.

Reactions: 1 user
Let's see. Just concluded a great vacation. Have a pretty decent work schedule for school even if i'm getting my butt handed to me nightly while I learn the ropes. My new journal club is sweet.

Just got a sculpture piece accepted for a display on our values for patient care at the hospital where I work (it's an employee thing, I think they took everyone's but I'll take it :oops: )

My puppy is the most hilarious goofball ever.

Today is my birthday.

and most importantly, it hasn't SNOWED yet!!!!!

23 posts in this thread, 52 in the Who Else Feels Crappy thread. Us nontrads are a cheerful bunch, aren't we?

I feel great. I just installed an engine block heater in my car and managed to do it without destroying the engine. The hole in the engine where the heater goes is covered by a punch-out. I took a hammer and punched it all right, but the punch-out went into the engine and became a punch-in before I could get my pliers on it. Trying to pull it out of the engine only jammed it in further, until I could just barely see a corner of it. Now I had a 2" aluminum disc stuck inside the engine, and if I left it there it was sure to interfere with the cooling or jam the water pump or something. The only way to get it out was to take a drill and drill a hole in the punch-out so I could grab it with needlenose pliers and yank it out. One slip of the drill and I would have destroyed the engine. It was probably as stressful as doing surgery, except that surgeons generally don't have to work by flashlight in the Autozone parking lot.

Anyhow, I got the punch-out out of the engine, I got the block heater installed, and as long as I can keep posting on SDN instead of studying for the bio exam, I feel great.

I feel outstanding!

• The job market was so crappy in Arizona so I ended up taking an AmeriCorps VISTA position in San Francisco, CA. I've got some good LORs out of it but was still worried about being able to pay for my applications on an AmeriCorps salary. Well, last week, I was offered a full-time position in Las Vegas starting on 7-Nov and it pays $24/hr!
  • Attend the UC-Davis/ARC AMSA Pre-Med fair last week and did some good networking. Folks that I spoke with have said that I'm doing the right stuff to get into medical school.
  • Finish my M.S. in Pharmacology & Toxicology in May 2012. Have maintained a 3.59 and will likely graduate with my GPA a little higher.
  • Got my health.
  • Going back to AZ to visit friends next week (I miss the desert!)
  • Michigan State has put together a hell of a drive against Wisconsin and it looks like they are going to win. Go Spartans!

I feel great that we have a 2:1 griper-to-grateful post ratio. :smuggrin:
I feel great that people come to SDN to gripe, instead of doing it in real life. There's no small x button in the upper right corner of a person griping to your face, but there is here! :)

I also feel great about my interviews so far. I really haven't had a "wish I could take that back" moment so far this year. I'd feel better if I had a few more interview invites, but the few I have are all from my top choice schools, so I can't complain about that, either.

I feel great to discover that the billowing smoke episode with my riding lawnmower wasn't a fatal malfunction for either the lawnmower or myself.

It was fixable and not that spendy, just an embarrassing blond moment. :oops:

I feel great to discover that the billowing smoke episode with my riding lawnmower wasn't a fatal malfunction for either the lawnmower or myself.

It was fixable and not that spendy, just an embarrassing blond moment. :oops:

Go on, tell the story. You can't just leave us wondering.

This is part of my problem. I'm on the fence. I could click the submit button today. Everything is up. Got my MCAT score in early Sept., but I waited to fill out my app until I knew my score. So I spent September getting my rec letters (I have 3 science and one work LOR ready to go and one volunteer and one DO letter on the way). My transcripts have been received by AMCAS and AACOMAS. My essay has been edited and refined and is uploaded.

But I keep worrying... should I wait until spring? Should I retake the MCAT? Will applying this late hurt me when/if I need to reapply in June?

Also, I have maybe $2K left on my credit card to apply so the number of places I can submit is limited.

I desperately need a FT job for the benefits and income or I'm going to ruin my credit rating. I am a little scared about the prospects of going to medical school with $10K in cc debt. (I wasn't eligible for fed loans for my DIY post bacc.)

This hit home. So far, I have wasted/spent $10K plus & counting....I submitted to very few schools due to avg score. Will retake in January & utilizing a whole different study approach/materials (TBR +EK). Order TBR & TPRH set..$600+...On top of it all, I work f/t...can't give up now.

Go on, tell the story. You can't just leave us wondering.

Well, so you see I hadn't used it for awhile and it kept sputtering and dying. I thought maybe there was an issue with the gas even though it wasn't empty so I filled the tank to full. Still sputtering and dying. Then I remembered I hadn't had an oil change on it yet, so it probably needed oil. Did a quick check and it looked low so I filled it up. Sputtered and died again. I just wanted to get through the mountain of leaves in my yard then call it good.

The next time I started it up, the smoke just started pouring out and I was surrounded by this huge cloud of smoke within a matter of seconds :boom: , thought I saw flames and hopped off and ran away.

Per the serviceman, someone :whistle: apparently exceeded the oil fill line just a tad... :oops: (like oh say double...)

:boom: , thought I saw flames and hopped off and ran away.
No wonder you're feeling good. You have a riding lawn mower!!! My husband would love one, but we live in the mountains and there is no grass here.

Another thing I'm feeling good about.... took a Vegas break after a big exam. Went to Freemont street for the first time... wow! What a carnival. They even had an Ozzy Osborne and Alice Cooper tribute band. Fun times.

Well, so you see I hadn't used it for awhile and it kept sputtering and dying. I thought maybe there was an issue with the gas even though it wasn't empty so I filled the tank to full. Still sputtering and dying. Then I remembered I hadn't had an oil change on it yet, so it probably needed oil. Did a quick check and it looked low so I filled it up. Sputtered and died again. I just wanted to get through the mountain of leaves in my yard then call it good.

The next time I started it up, the smoke just started pouring out and I was surrounded by this huge cloud of smoke within a matter of seconds :boom: , thought I saw flames and hopped off and ran away.

Per the serviceman, someone :whistle: apparently exceeded the oil fill line just a tad... :oops: (like oh say double...)

Oops! My friend did the same thing when he changed the oil in his Bronco. He didn't know any better and filled it with oil until the engine was FULL of oil.

It sounds like you might have water in the gas. If the mower has been sitting for a long time water can condense in the gas tank. If there's a fuel filter, take it out and empty the filter. You might be able to see a layer of water (and dirt) and a layer of gas in the filter. Filter or not, add a little dry gas to the tank and try again. Like you suspected, there probably was an issue with the gas. Old gasoline deteriorates and won't burn very well. Add some Sta-Bil to the gas next time before you put the mower away for winter. Sta-Bil and dry gas can both be found in your local Walmart or gas station.

If that doesn't solve the problem, take out the spark plug out. If the tip is covered with carbon, give it a good cleaning with an old toothbrush.

If that doesn't solve the problem, my guess is that the old gasoline gummed up the jets in the carburetor. Call a mechanic friend for help with this one.

Chips, thanks for the tips!!!

I contracted this one out this time. I was due for an oil & filter change anyway and we figured it was some water in the gas that caused the sputter. Just happy to be up and running again with minimal financial damage. Mower's only a year old.

I feel awesome :)

Even though I'm ALWAYS exhausted...

*I get to be in the OR, shoot patients in radiology, and coordinate amazing orthopaedic studies that deal with new biotech gear (like robotic-integration), and it is staggering how much I have learned.

*The surgeons that are my bosses are UNBELIEVABLY supportive and ask me how classes are going/what I got on the most recent test/when I'm applying, etc. They all say that they are "looking forward to having me as a colleague" :3

*Even though my academic program is very rigorous, my fellow post-baccs are incredibly bright and very cool.

*I have phenomenal "big brothers and sisters" who are in various stages of their medical training and who are always there to offer me words of encouragement when I start to lose site of the end game.

*I rescued the world's dorkiest, yet most lovable, dog.

*My dad has been cancer-free for a little over a year now after waging a heavy battle.

*I realize that after making the decision to pursue medicine almost 3 and a half years ago, I'm still going strong and am nearing the end of this chapter.

:love::love::love::love:Happy Birthday!!!!:love::love::love::love:

I know that was gay. :)

Unless I misunderstood and you actually meant "gay" as happy, please don't use the word in this context. Sexual orientation probably has nothing to do with what you meant and it's unnecessarily derogatory. The same goes for "******ed".

I had more sleep than i anticipated last night, was very very productive at work, had a great dinner and some great wine, and actually looking forward to taking classes winter quarter. I feel..... Great. :)

The productivity bug caught me and I got a bunch of stuff done around the house. This includes getting one step closer to having a guest room set up as my new art stduio :)

So I am here to say: glad you're keeping your chin up! If I can do it anyone can! I had a 2.8 did a LOT of post-bacc work, raised it to a 3.18, & have a 3.83 & s3.91 in my PB work. I am 35, and was accepted to LECOM-erie. Not my top school, but I know I'm in, so it doesn't matter! I recently (3.5 weeks ago) started a job as a lab supervisor in a CHC, I have one more interview tomorrow at SOMA. If I get into SOMA I'll go there. I don't car if the letters after my name are MD or DO, as long as the ones in front are Dr!!!

So I am here to say: glad you're keeping your chin up! If I can do it anyone can! I had a 2.8 did a LOT of post-bacc work, raised it to a 3.18, & have a 3.83 & s3.91 in my PB work. I am 35, and was accepted to LECOM-erie. Not my top school, but I know I'm in, so it doesn't matter! I recently (3.5 weeks ago) started a job as a lab supervisor in a CHC, I have one more interview tomorrow at SOMA. If I get into SOMA I'll go there. I don't car if the letters after my name are MD or DO, as long as the ones in front are Dr!!!

Congratulations! Nice job raising that 2.8 up.

Ok.... this is so corny, but it warms my heart to see all the positive vibes that this thread attracted. I really have enjoyed reading about everyone 'feeling great'. The other day I was upset about a patient that we rushed to the E.R. and then someone posted something new on this thread and it helped me remember that things really are great overall. I sure hope to hear more from folks who 'feel great' in the future.

Speaking of things to be happy about ....

Last night I volunteered at the free medical clinic with a new volunteer pediatrician. I am his sole 'medical assistant'. It was incredibly rewarding. He only comes once a month but I'll be his designated assistant and am working to get his treatment room and the pediatric related stuff at the clinic set up. It's awesome to be on the ground floor of something so meaningful. We had an adorable two year old child who has been sick for a month - it was great to give her the help she needs.

One thing I know for certain - medicine is absolutely my calling. Hopefully I have enough smarts and discipline to become a physician.

Ok.... this is so corny, but it warms my heart to see all the positive vibes that this thread attracted. I really have enjoyed reading about everyone 'feeling great'. The other day I was upset about a patient that we rushed to the E.R. and then someone posted something new on this thread and it helped me remember that things really are great overall. I sure hope to hear more from folks who 'feel great' in the future.

Speaking of things to be happy about ....

Last night I volunteered at the free medical clinic with a new volunteer pediatrician. I am his sole 'medical assistant'. It was incredibly rewarding. He only comes once a month but I'll be his designated assistant and am working to get his treatment room and the pediatric related stuff at the clinic set up. It's awesome to be on the ground floor of something so meaningful. We had an adorable two year old child who has been sick for a month - it was great to give her the help she needs.

One thing I know for certain - medicine is absolutely my calling. Hopefully I have enough smarts and discipline to become a physician.

Not sure what stage you are at but this is the kind of story you want to convey to Adcom. I somehow feel that you will do an awesome job though.

Last edited:
I will echo the sentiments that I have read here and say I feel AWESOME indeed! I am starting school again in January and I am pumped at my new job (Labor & Delivery clerk at local hospital)! Even though I have years of experience as an EMT and working in the OR I have talked to some docs about some job shadowing in other fields and I am excited to be putting my life in the right track!

Best of Luck to all and lets stay the course!

:luck:

Last edited:
Despite having to take hubby to the hospital for severe lower back pain (and spending 5+ hours there), I'm happy it turned out my suspicion of kidney stones was correct. No surgery needed. Just need to help hubby through the pain of passing the stones. And after being unemployed for 3 weeks (after 2 years of only part-time and temp work...or no work at all...and not being eligible for any more unemployment), I start a new, full-time, temp-to-hire job Monday! Great company (they've been GROWING consistently for the past ten years even in this horrible economy), interesting work, great pay and benefits. I'm definitely a happy camper!

Unless I misunderstood and you actually meant "gay" as happy, please don't use the word in this context. Sexual orientation probably has nothing to do with what you meant and it's unnecessarily derogatory. The same goes for "******ed".

This politically correct mindset really needs to have its pendulum swung back the other way; I'm so tired of it. People just seem bound and determined to be offended these days. Let's all stand at the ready each time there's offense to be found. If someone calls someone else a dick here let's let them know that contextually that's inappropriate because there may actually be men reading these forums and good lord knows those men have...well, you know.

This politically correct mindset really needs to have its pendulum swung back the other way; I'm so tired of it. People just seem bound and determined to be offended these days. Let's all stand at the ready each time there's offense to be found. If someone calls someone else a dick here let's let them know that contextually that's inappropriate because there may actually be men reading these forums and good lord knows those men have...well, you know.

This :thumbup:

This politically correct mindset really needs to have its pendulum swung back the other way

You are entitled to your own opinion of course, but I completely disagree. The pendulum is not yet anywhere near the middle for gays in this country, so it would be premature to swing back. As a society we've come a long way, but ignorant and inappropriate language like what I pointed out helps to foster an environment of intolerance, and I will point it out as I see it.

Can't you just picture this person as a future physician, talking to a homosexual patient and inadvertently saying, "That's so gay!" Totally unprofessional.

I happy for you.

You are entitled to your own opinion of course, but I completely disagree. The pendulum is not yet anywhere near the middle for gays in this country, so it would be premature to swing back. As a society we've come a long way, but ignorant language like what I pointed helps to foster an environment of intolerance. I will point it out as I see it.

I just typed a huge response and have now deleted it. Bottom line - there are two parties at faulty here: those who truly use language to malign and harm others and the more dangerous group - the PC Nannies. This slippery slope will eventually do more harm than generations of actual hate rhetoric.

Ignoring inappropriate attitudes and language only helps to reinforce them.

Ignoring inappropriate attitudes and language only helps to reinforce them.

Absolutely....if they're children. Otherwise, the truly ignorant will get what's coming to them. I completely understand your need to correct perceived injustices. That mindset is a big part of why we're all training to be doctors. However, the PC movement is literally just as dangerous as the path of hate/ignorance.

I have to go study now; med school exams seem to require lots of that.