Who else hates undergrad with a passion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hs2013

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to be a dentist, 100% certain, love dentistry. Undergrad... HATE IT. I don't care for the sciences at all like chemistry, especially biology(hate bio), and physics. Unfortunately majoring in bio since that's the easiest route to dental school and don't have an interest in any other major but damn, I HATE UNDERGRAD. From the stupid general education classes, to having to be in stupid clubs to improve applications, etc...

I just want to be in dental school already!

Luckily most people I've talked to love dental school compared to undergrad... just gotta grind

Members don't see this ad.

I hope you understand that in dental school, the curriculum continues to deal with even more basic sciences (but on steroids because it is a graduate program afterall) and how they are applied in the clinical setting. If you hate the sciences now, you may have a hard time in the first two years of dental school. It would be a wise idea to talk to other dental students about the curriculum and what it entails if you are so against it.

Also, the clubs are not stupid. They are a group of people who are also passionate about something. If you listed clubs in your application, it may come up in interviews. It would be hard to convince someone of your intentions if everything you did was just because 'it looked good on applications'

Reactions: 5 users
I loved undergrad. And I loved all the sciences. I'd happily do it all over again.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I hope you understand that in dental school, the curriculum continues to deal with even more basic sciences (but on steroids because it is a graduate program afterall) and how they are applied in the clinical setting. If you hate the sciences now, you may have a hard time in the first two years of dental school. It would be a wise idea to talk to other dental students about the curriculum and what it entails if you are so against it.

Also, the clubs are not stupid. They are a group of people who are also passionate about something. If you listed clubs in your application, it may come up in interviews. It would be hard to convince someone of your intentions if everything you did was just because 'it looked good on applications'
Let's be real here, most people do the extra-curriculars to boost their dental school app. If they were not going to be applying to dental school or med school, MOST applicants wouldn't volunteer their time or join clubs.

The only club that is beneficial for me is pre-dental club.

I'll have plenty to talk about at interviews, as to what I did in them and what I enjoyed.

As far as dental school curriculum, yes I know it is science heavy the first 2 years, but just because I don't like it doesn't mean I can't excel in it.

Reactions: 1 user
I think my main issue is that I don't like school. Hate school. But unfortunately that's what it takes to have a good future and a good job like dentistry. That's what keeps me motivated to do well in school.

I think my main issue is that I don't like school. Hate school. But unfortunately that's what it takes to have a good future and a good job like dentistry. That's what keeps me motivated to do well in school.
Thank you for being honest but life is too short to do something you don't enjoy. My major is biochemistry and even though it's tough, I feel so happy to learn about science! When you major in something you're interested in, you won't think of it as a torture.
Find something you're passionate about.

Dedicating your time to a career in which you don't enjoy is definitely not the way to go especially if your main objective is to have a good future or just a good job in general. But then again, who am I to tell you how to go about your life? Just an advice, there are many jobs out there that are good paying and can provide a great future. You're not going to enjoy your future hating every second of your job!

Dedicating your time to a career in which you don't enjoy is definitely not the way to go especially if your main objective is to have a good future or just a good job in general. But then again, who am I to tell you how to go about your life? Just an advice, there are many jobs out there that are good paying and can provide a great future. You're not going to enjoy your future hating every second of your job!
I don't like the logic that there are other great jobs, so only do dentistry if it's your passion because it's so tedious to become a dentist. I understand what the OP is getting at (though, personally, I love my science courses). Name another job that as soon as you complete the requisite (as grueling as it is) training, you are almost guaranteed to have a job with great security, the ability to be your own boss, make fantastic money, help people (literally making them want to smile more), extremely family friendly hours (if that's your thing...it's my thing), super prestigious and respected (you're a doctor!), and the list goes on. Even if you HATE the training, it is still a great investment in your future. Though, it is certainly easier if you actually do enjoy the training.

Reactions: 1 users
I never said this is a career I wouldn't enjoy. I would love working on teeth, giving others better smiles, and owning my own business, the courses required to get there though I don't like.

For those who say life is too short to do something I don't enjoy... I may not enjoy the next 2-3 years of undergrad but I'll enjoy dental school especially once you get to the clinical years.

And then once I'm out I'll be around 26 with a ton of time to enjoy life, so in the end it would be worth it.

Because if I don't go this route... what else am I going to do? Get a degree in which I can have fun now and then once I'm done with school I work for someone 9-5 5 days a week for 50-75k for the NEXT 40 YEARS... hell no

Why do you hate undergrad?? It was so much fun. Enjoy your free time/college years while they last.

Why do you hate undergrad?? It was so much fun. Enjoy your free time/college years while they last.
I guess the free time part is true, won't have nearly as much time off in dental school, currently get 1.5 full days offs plus tons of time after class MWF.

Members don't see this ad :)
The only classes I HATE are physics and chemistry classes. I am a healthcare studies major so I love my major. It allows me to take all the pre-reqs and required courses with a bunch of science classes I don't need. Plus, I am able to learn more about healthcare in general and how to run a medical practice. I am learning things that I could actually put to use. Undergrad only sucks because I want to be a dentist already and I am an impatient person. Otherwise, I love it!

I love all of my classes expect for those that teach you about plants, animals (non-humans), and soil. I haaaate those!!! I should've picked microbio major, but it's too late as I'm in my third year now.

I hope this is a troll thread. But it sounds genuine enough, so I'm just going to say this.

The science classes dont end when you get into dental school. In fact, they get harder.

I know I wouldnt want anyone to be my dentist who doesnt have a basic understanding of high school and college sciences.

I mean, how do you expect someone to know anything about the human body if they dont know the basics.

Doesnt really help if you cant even get through the classes, let alone being responsible for another person's life.

i hate so much my school but i'm now a junior and i can't wait to graduate and go to dental school!!
if you hate science, maybe you need to think again about dentistry as first and second years in dental school are almost . In fact, they get harder.
And why you don't make the club that you like think about what do you like more than you will be a co-founder for a new club and you will love it

I have a LOT of ECs and I do them because I like them, and I like keeping myself busy.. as for undergrad, I think being a bio major is really really interesting but I just hate getting tested on stuff (specially when the questions are about irrelevant details)..

Reactions: 1 users
The making of one miserable puppy.

Reactions: 3 users
First of all I find it funny that people think I will be a bad dentist JUST because I don't LIKE the science classes. I'm sorry but how does not liking correlate to not knowing? Because I may not like the science classes but I sure hell may know the basic sciences well.

And just because I don't like the science classes doesn't mean I will have a tough time getting through them. I got A's in both gen chems, I've gotten a B and an A in my 2 bio classes, I don't like math but I've gotten A's in both Calc 1 & Calc 2.

So just because I don't like them doesn't mean I will be a bad dentist because I WANT TO BE A DENTIST.

And to doc toothache, I won't be miserable. I'm not miserable right now. I just don't like taking them.

Once I'm done with school I'll be happy as heck just like many dentists I've shadowed who also didn't like school but love practicing dentistry and owning their own practice.

So as far as I am concerned, all your opinions that say "you'll be a bad dentist" "you won't be able to get through etc." "you'll be miserable"...all irrelevant.

I hope this is a troll thread. But it sounds genuine enough, so I'm just going to say this.

The science classes dont end when you get into dental school. In fact, they get harder.

I know I wouldnt want anyone to be my dentist who doesnt have a basic understanding of high school and college sciences.

I mean, how do you expect someone to know anything about the human body if they dont know the basics.

Doesnt really help if you cant even get through the classes, let alone being responsible for another person's life.
Look at my post above and it'll answer everything you've said. Because your post is FULL of assumptions. Just because I don't like science classes means I won't know anything about the human body and basic sciences? LOL :laugh::laugh:

I want to be a dentist, 100% certain, love dentistry. Undergrad... HATE IT. I don't care for the sciences at all like chemistry, especially biology(hate bio), and physics. Unfortunately majoring in bio since that's the easiest route to dental school and don't have an interest in any other major but damn, I HATE UNDERGRAD. From the stupid general education classes, to having to be in stupid clubs to improve applications, etc...

Luckily most people I've talked to love dental school compared to undergrad... just gotta grind

I clicked this thread mistakenly because I thought I was in the med student forums, but I thought I'd pop in and relate to you.

I hated undergrad. Really hated it. I hated the stupid basic science classes, I hated the fact that I had to churn out volunteering hours, I hated having to contort my identity to appear "empathetic" and "serving the underserved". Don't even get me started on the applications and writing personal statements, because I can't recall much in my life I'd loathed more.

But now I'm a 3rd year med student, and I love it. I may be one of the few in my class that thinks med school is waaaayyyy better than undergrad, but I do. The science is actually interesting, volunteering is mostly useless for your application so you can just relax and volunteer in things you actually are passionate about, and the pseudo-moral bullsh*t is super-toned down.

I experienced everything you're hoping to experience.
inb4 anecdotes
inb4 n=1
inb4 "you're a terrible person"

Reactions: 2 users
Look at my post above and it'll answer everything you've said. Because your post is FULL of assumptions. Just because I don't like science classes means I won't know anything about the human body and basic sciences? LOL :laugh::laugh:

So this IS serious.

I have read everything, which is why I said what I said.
(PS read the time stamps, I was writing my response when you posted that long ass explanation)

What everyone is trying to get at is that undergrad science courses are more like nap time compared to DS courses.

I think it's great you got decent grades in general science courses, it's the higher science courses that really counts and those are suppose to be the cake walks.

But only YOU can gauge how well you think you can do in these classes.

We dont know you, we are only going by whatever information you give us. Why is it hard to believe that we assume?

Is it far fetched to think that you hate science classes because did you poorly in them? No, most of the classes I dislike (including all of my friends) are usually the classes I did poorly in.

That being said, I do agree that it's ridiculous that some schools have an obscene amount of volunteer hour requirements. But honestly, in the grand scheme of things, the volunteer hours doesn't really weight alot in many schools. And I also think that most undergrad classes are virtually useless. But some of them (higher level science courses) are useful in gauging how well you might do academically in DS. Remember, this is as much as an investment for the schools as it is for you.

I hope this clears things up and good luck in your endeavors.

Undergrad has been the best years of my life. I think I prefer the arts (humanities, philosophy, etc.) to the STEM sciences (the sciences are really interesting and all, but my brain just works a different way). Sadly, art doesn't pay and I'm sick of being poor, so gotta get them biology grades.

Hate undergrad and the stupid super hard college i am now. However, i have 3.82 gpa and work full time during all undergrad. Stupid college, i am not a regular 20 y o that just sits at school, rarely have evening classes especially during lat year, like upper chem classes. Don't understand that people can be working. Had to leave my great job in the hospital and find part time to graduate in a year

They made me take a loan for this year first time ever, because this part time job is not enough to pay for school. Very angry

I hated undergrad. Dental school is a lot better so far (only 2 months). We are pretty science heavy and dentistry light right now. My least favorite class was biology in undergrad. Currently taking molecular cell bio, microbiology, histology, and dental materials (similar to physics) and already finished HNA (for now). I hardly remember any of that stuff from undergrad. But I understand it now. The worst classes in dental school? Ethics (maybe its the way it is taught at my school) and public health dentistry, which seems like a liberal brainwashing class. Good luck. Talking with D4s at my school, learn MCB to pass boards, most of the other stuff is useful.

Plus we don't talk about stupid trees and plants in classes now like undergrad bio.

Last edited:

Off topic

Last edited:
I was talking to a plastic surgeon recently. He broke it down like this: "in my day to day practice, I use 0% of my undergraduate education, 2% of my medical education, 70% of my residency, and 100% of my fellowships."

But we all know the drill. There's no substitute for time, showing professional schools that you know how to be an adult -- a professional -- who can proactively study on your own time to reach a pre-determined level of competency.

Well most of us won't have residencies so we better remember dental school.

Haha, I completely agree. I freaking hate school. Its not so much that I hate it while im doing it, but I hate going back to it after break, and I hate thinking about all the work I have to do every day. Well actually, probably the worst part about school is being apart of athletics. If you think its bad now, you would hate waking up at 7am 4 days a week to lift weights, and then practice 3:30-6:30 pm 5 days a week, and its all year long... if i could redo college I wouldn't play a sport. Thats how bad it is...

I can't wait for dental school (hopefully), where I will finally kind of be free from that crap. Literally have no free time right now and get maybe 3-4 hrs of sleep a night if im lucky haha.

And I also agree that most of the classes are useless. Physio, A and P, and biochem and maybe a tiny bit of gen bio have really been the only practical ones so far. Orgo, chem, and all the calcs have been a complete waste of time, as well as the gen eds, like Spanish, sociology of gender, and spirituality... like wtf ha