Who else is just chilling out through Med. School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yanky5

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I see all these threads about kids working their ass off in medical school and staying up all night studying .... spending summers doing research and stuff. Why don't we just chill out? All you have to do is pass.

I figure that I worked so hard to get into medical school, that once I'm there already, why should I burn myself out? I never stay up past 12 studying and just study to pass the exams. Am I alone here? I'm planning on saving my energy for the boards because that's what counts the most for you residency (I want to go into FP anyways, so whatever). I figure that no one has enough energy to kill themselves studying to ace the boards AND getting A's in medical school. It is one or the other (especially since our classes at NYCOM don't correlate well for board material).

Plus, is it really worth all this competition if it may only make a 10% difference? If you get A's and mess up the boards, you worked for nothing. And if you get A's and do average in the boards, your grades are only slightly above average. Only if you ace both will you MIGHT get that "super competative" residency that a lot of go gunners want. How many students actually do that? And if you do kill yourself, will you have any energy left for rounds and will you lose your motivation to be a good doctor? Plus if you are planning on going into FP or IM which is not competative, who really cares? I just want to be a good doctor and don't care about these classes. On rounds, I'll forget half of the BS anyways (who needs drug mechanisms, biochem and other random stuff). A lot of us at NYCOM are doing the same thing and enjoying life. Are we alone here?

Who else is taking it easy and enjoying themselves? And who are you over achievers that mess us all up with your publications, research, pressed white coats walking with your head up your ass like you are so smart? And why must you go over to the professor after every break with questions and follow him out of class so he thinks you are so smart? If everyone would just relax and stop trying to out do eachother, it would be so cool. :D :D :D

Members don't see this ad.

You forget that your board scores are supposed to reflect what you have learned in classes (ie grades). If you do great on one and poor on the other, something is wrong.

You got into medical school? Great! But now the real work begins. Great advancements in medicine don't come from mediocre performance. You have to really try to learn, there is so much volume in medicine that you can't learn everything you need passively. After all, med school is a job, not a vacation, I don't know why you don't take it more seriously. I think it's great you are considering FP, but you may change your mind. Those of us who plan on going into a more intensive area will need every bit of knowledge we can hold, to keep as many patients alive as possible. And as for research, I really enjoy medicine, so research isn't a chore as much as it is scratching a scientific itch. The only cure? MORE COWBELL!!!

yanky5 said:
Hey guys. I see all these threads about kids working their ass off in medical school and staying up all night studying .... spending summers doing research and stuff. Why don't we just chill out? All you have to do is pass.

I figure that I worked so hard to get into medical school, that once I'm there already, why should I burn myself out? I never stay up past 12 studying and just study to pass the exams. Am I alone here? I'm planning on saving my energy for the boards because that's what counts the most for you residency (I want to go into FP anyways, so whatever). I figure that no one has enough energy to kill themselves studying to ace the boards AND getting A's in medical school. It is one or the other (especially since our classes at NYCOM don't correlate well for board material).

Plus, is it really worth all this competition if it may only make a 10% difference? If you get A's and mess up the boards, you worked for nothing. And if you get A's and do average in the boards, your grades are only slightly above average. Only if you ace both will you MIGHT get that "super competative" residency that a lot of go gunners want. How many students actually do that? And if you do kill yourself, will you have any energy left for rounds and will you lose your motivation to be a good doctor? Plus if you are planning on going into FP or IM which is not competative, who really cares? I just want to be a good doctor and don't care about these classes. On rounds, I'll forget half of the BS anyways (who needs drug mechanisms, biochem and other random stuff). A lot of us at NYCOM are doing the same thing and enjoying life. Are we alone here?

Who else is taking it easy and enjoying themselves? And who are you over achievers that mess us all up with your publications, research, pressed white coats walking with your head up your ass like you are so smart? And why must you go over to the professor after every break with questions and follow him out of class so he thinks you are so smart? If everyone would just relax and stop trying to out do eachother, it would be so cool. :D :D :D

You'll never be my doctor and I hope to God Im never in an accident where youre working in the ER. Take a little pride man...

Members don't see this ad :)
yanky5 said:

I'll give you an example of the effort I put into it:

During finals week of MS-II year, I watched 100% of the NBA playoff games, and went out to a few bars on nights before exams.

I'm in the top 25% of my class.

P.S. I didn't do any research.

P.S.S. I never attended class or read any textbooks.

med-i-cal said:
You forget that your board scores are supposed to reflect what you have learned in classes (ie grades). If you do great on one and poor on the other, something is wrong.

You got into medical school? Great! But now the real work begins. Great advancements in medicine don't come from mediocre performance. You have to really try to learn, there is so much volume in medicine that you can't learn everything you need passively. After all, med school is a job, not a vacation, I don't know why you don't take it more seriously. I think it's great you are considering FP, but you may change your mind. Those of us who plan on going into a more intensive area will need every bit of knowledge we can hold, to keep as many patients alive as possible. And as for research, I really enjoy medicine, so research isn't a chore as much as it is scratching a scientific itch. The only cure? MORE COWBELL!!!

nerd_nowplaying.jpg

Wow. Do you disagree with what I said, or do you just not like research? Either way, there are a lot of nerds in the medical field, I just hope you can learn to get along with them...

med-i-cal said:
Wow. Do you disagree with what I said, or do you just not like research? Either way, there are a lot of nerds in the medical field, I just hope you can learn to get along with them...

Boo to research.

I don't like math or graphs. I never will like them.

Nerds don't belong in surgery or the ER.

What specialty DO nerds fit in? We should take a poll. "Most nerdy specialty."

med-i-cal said:

nerds.jpeg

Nerds belong in a profession which requires continous education and keeping up with the latest medical journals----yup, medicine is definitely not a field for nerds. :p

NonTradMed said:
Nerds belong in a profession which requires continous education and keeping up with the latest medical journals----yup, medicine is definitely not a field for nerds. :p

709891009452.jpg

So yanky? You are enjoying NYCOM?

You are a first year? what has your studying been like in the last few blocks? How did most people do on the first block? Thanks!

yanky5 said:
A lot of us at NYCOM are doing the same thing and enjoying life. Are we alone here?

Well.

On the one hand, I do agree with the contention that "getting in" is a feat that is most worthy of congratulation and is highly indicative of what one is willing to do in order to make their dreams come true. It's trying, expensive, isolating, and the reward is even MORE so in all three categories. However, I do NOT think that once you're "in" that it's time to sit on your laurels, congratulate yourself for 8 years and wait for the world to fall at your feet.

Being a medical student, although it has a certain celebrity of its own(proportionally, VERY FEW of those that wish to become doctors ever do so, and the physician is arguably the most recognizable profession--and the most misunderstood--, both of which serve to add mystique to those that practice medicine as physicians. They are seen as living life on a higher plane both intellectually and financially), is NOT like being a celebrity you read about in the magazine, where just being interesting is enough to carry you on through life. You've entered a field that DEMANDS excellence from you from the day you begin until the day you die. Physicians that are so-so are the REALLY dangerous ones, and not consequently are the ones that have the shortest shelf-life as physicians. If you already don't care enough and respect the profession, your future patients, or yourSELF enough to do as well as you possibly can, then my friend, you are doing the wrong thing. There are those here on SDN who would SELL THEIR SOULS for just a chance to be a physician, and if given that chance would NOT squander it by just "sliding by". I find your apathy insulting, and I hope you never treat me or anyone I know.

Well I guess I'll sit over here in the minority seats, and agree with the OP. :cool:

Don't get me wrong, I don't think slacking off is a good idea in med school, but I didn't necessarily think that's what the OP was saying. I'm not going to be gunning for A's in all my classes, and I am going to be happy to "just" pass my classes. Sure I'm paying for an education, and I want the most out of it, but I also need my sanity. If I get through my entire medical education without a single A I'm not going to cry over it. Do medical schools set their pass rates at a level that's below what's acceptable to make a good doctor? I doubt it. So if I pass all my classes then I'll assume I did learn enough to be a good doctor. I also agree with the board scores concept. You rarely hear something crying that they got a monster board score, but their grades were "only" passing so they got shafted on all their residency matches. Of course having BOTH top grades and board scores are best (and most competitive), but seriously . . . who can do this? It's a small percentage of students.

I have a family, and I also have a personal life. Though I completely understand that my access to those things will be limited, I'm not going to kill myself (and my family) to get A's. It's not worth it . . . no career is. I do hold myself to a high standard, but you know what? Being a medical student, and passing all my classes is a pretty high standard for me to meet, so I don't think that's such a bad goal in life.

For those of you who plan to aim for the top grades, top scores, top residencies, etc, more power to you. Really. I mean that without any sarcasm or condesention. We need doctors in those competitive areas, just like we needs doctors in other less competitive areas. To each their own. I just don't think it's fair to say one will be a bad doctor because they "only" passed their classes. OR that you will be a bad doctor because you didn't at least try to be the top of your class.

Okay, rant over. Carry on. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't disagree with what you said, especially since you have a family. It's just those that say, "I don't want to try, so you shouldn't try along with me" that I can't understand. The human mind is amazing, yet sometimes also pathetic.

I will agree w/ the OP that many people take everything way too seriously. Some people think they bomb at test if they make a low 80's score.

Let be honest though...You learn the real medicine during your MS 3 & 4 years. Yes you have to do well on boards if you want to be considered for competitive residencies, but there are many of us that have very little interest in academia.

Working hard & knowing your **** in years 3 & 4 are much more impressive than some dork who can sit w/ their nose in a book for 10 hours a day.

P.S.-- My vote for the nerd specialty would have to be Pathology. Everyone knows the hallmark of a nerd is his microscope.

I agree with the OP as well. I also think that those who relax and enjoy medical school make better doctors.

Overstressing has a detrimental cumulative effect on physican and mental health. It is important to change your mindset for optimal health. I remind myself of this every day.

HunterGatherer said:
So yanky? You are enjoying NYCOM?

You are a first year? what has your studying been like in the last few blocks? How did most people do on the first block? Thanks!

These NYCOM blocks give you an incredible amount of material to study for so you have to study a lot. The first block is an intro. block and is very very easy. But don't let this get you to think med. school is easy, since the next blocks are hard. I don't mean hard in the difficult sense of the word. In my opinion, the material in medical school is easy (MUCH easyer than physical chemistry and biochemistry in college). It is just the quantity that is overwhelming.
I study a few hours every day (avg of 2-3 hrs) and don't start really cramming until 2 weeks before an exam. I pass every class and even get 80's once in a while. Most of the guys in my class do the same thing since NYCOM is P/F/H. I am studying hard but I am not killing myself staying up every night studying because it is not worth it. If I get tired, I chill out, watch TV, got to a bar, do some gardening and play computer games. You learn the important stuff when you study for the boards and in you third and forth year anyways. This is not high school any more. In 3 years, no one is going to care if you got A's in everything or not. And on rounds, the patients are not going to care if you are a nerd who can recite the mechanism for the activation of inostitol 4,5 bisphosphate, all they care about is if you are a good doctor.

Dr Trek 1 said:
I agree with the OP as well. I also think that those who relax and enjoy medical school make better doctors.

Overstressing has a detrimental cumulative effect on physican and mental health. It is important to change your mindset for optimal health. I remind myself of this every day.

Right on man! :luck: :luck:

yanky5 said:
These NYCOM blocks give you an incredible amount of material to study for so you have to study a lot. The first block is an intro. block and is very very easy. But don't let this get you to think med. school is easy, since the next blocks are hard. I don't mean hard in the difficult sense of the word. In my opinion, the material in medical school is easy (MUCH easyer than physical chemistry and biochemistry in college). It is just the quantity that is overwhelming.
I study a few hours every day (avg of 2-3 hrs) and don't start really cramming until 2 weeks before an exam. I pass every class and even get 80's once in a while. Most of the guys in my class do the same thing since NYCOM is P/F/H. I am studying hard but I am not killing myself staying up every night studying because it is not worth it. If I get tired, I chill out, watch TV, got to a bar, do some gardening and play computer games. You learn the important stuff when you study for the boards and in you third and forth year anyways. This is not high school any more. In 3 years, no one is going to care if you got A's in everything or not. And on rounds, the patients are not going to care if you are a nerd who can recite the mechanism for the activation of inostitol 4,5 bisphosphate, all they care about is if you are a good doctor.

This brings up a good point. Is it easier to "chill out" in med school when grades are pass/fail, etc. rather than letter grades?

Dr Trek 1 said:
This brings up a good point. Is it easier to "chill out" in med school when grades are pass/fail, etc. rather than letter grades?
DEFINITELY. Pass / Fail is the way to go!

yanky5 said:
DEFINITELY. Pass / Fail is the way to go!

It makes me sad that most DO schools are not p/f unlike most MD school which are p/f. I think p/f is great if nothing else because it promotes a more cooperative, less competitive atmosphere.

yanky5 said:
... the patients are not going to care if you are a nerd who can recite the mechanism for the activation of inostitol 4,5 bisphosphate ...
I thought i was pretty laid back about med school, but I instantly noticed that this should be inositol 4,5 bisphosphate... so maybe I'm more of a nerd than I thought :D

Blocks are totally the way to go. You get a few weeks of normalcy where you can watch tv, go out and play, and generally screw around. My school isn't doing the pass/fail thing yet, but I can imagine that's icing on the cake.

I think coming in most people have the idea that the amount of work it took to get an A in undergrad is the same it takes to get an A in med school, and that an undergrad C equals a med school C. Reality is far from this. There were a few classes in college where I didn't attend class, didn't read the book or lectures, didn't even know what was on the test, and still managed to pull off a B. If I tried this in med school, I wouldn't have made it past the first block. There is a minimum amount of work and effort that is needed, and for me that's about three hours everyday. The week before blocks, that number approaches 5-6 hours of studying day.

Dr Trek 1 said:
It makes me sad that most DO schools are not p/f unlike most MD school which are p/f. I think p/f is great if nothing else because it promotes a more cooperative, less competitive atmosphere.

It also promotes doing the bare minimum, which leads to lower board scores, less actual information learned, and a less competent physician.

For the record, most MD schools are NOT pass/fail. The majority give letter grades, at least in the first 2 years.

OSUdoc08 said:
It also promotes doing the bare minimum, which leads to lower board scores, less actual information learned, and a less competent physician.

For the record, most MD schools are NOT pass/fail. The majority give letter grades, at least in the first 2 years.
I thought you realized, doing the bare minimum is what the OP is looking for, no wonder he loves the system.

Apparently most believe that what you learn the first 2 years doesn't really matter anyway, heck, why not just make med school a two year clinicals-only program? It would cost less money, and less time would be wasted on those pesky facts that only nerds want to know. After all, "Why don't we just chill out? All you have to do is pass." A less competent physician indeed...

med-i-cal said:
I thought you realized, doing the bare minimum is what the OP is looking for, no wonder he loves the system.

Apparently most believe that what you learn the first 2 years doesn't really matter anyway, heck, why not just make med school a two year clinicals-only program? It would cost less money, and less time would be wasted on those pesky facts that only nerds want to know. After all, "Why don't we just chill out? All you have to do is pass." A less competent physician indeed...

I'm not neccessarily agreeing with the OP. I do believe that you can relax in medical school, enjoy your free time, and still make above a 3.5 GPA.

I never said you agreed, and I think you should be able to have fun AND work hard. I don't think the two are mutually exclusive. You just shouldn't disregard studying in the persuit of more free time either, especially when there is such a volume to learn.

Free time should break up study time, not the other way around.

med-i-cal said:
I never said you agreed, and I think you should be able to have fun AND work hard. I don't think the two are mutually exclusive. You just shouldn't disregard studying in the persuit of more free time either, especially when there is such a volume to learn.

You have your opinion, and I have mine. I think the reverse is true, and I am happy with my grades.

med-i-cal said:

You have your opinion, and I have mine. I think the reverse is true, and I am happy with my grades.

Is there anything wrong with shooting for A's in your classes? Obviously, I know I won't be getting A's (if any at all), but I like to strive for them. I feel like I will be seen as one of those gunners...lol

USArmyDoc said:
Is there anything wrong with shooting for A's in your classes? Obviously, I know I won't be getting A's (if any at all), but I like to strive for them. I feel like I will be seen as one of those gunners...lol

It's okay to strive for A's.

If you step on other peoples' toes to get there, then you have become a gunner.

USArmyDoc said:
I don't think there's anything wrong with shooting for A's. When I was in undergrad and grad school I always shot for A's. But it won't be as feasible for me during med school. I'd rather not be judged as an inept physician because I didn't kill myself trying to get A's as a med student. Choosing to have balance in my life (at the expense of a better grade) won't make me a bad doctor.

Khenon said:
I don't think there's anything wrong with shooting for A's. When I was in undergrad and grad school I always shot for A's. But it won't be as feasible for me during med school. I'd rather not be judged as an inept physician because I didn't kill myself trying to get A's as a med student. Choosing to have balance in my life (at the expense of a better grade) won't make me a bad doctor.

Why not?

Medical schools spoonfeed you with typed up notes and bolded test questions, unlike college. You don't even have to attend class. My undergrad had a 75% required attendance policy.

I think balance is the key to med school.

I don't trust doctors who just decide to 'slide by' because they can, not so much because they may be less qualified, but because that type of attitude means they may 'slide by' with my treatment.

It's the attitude that is more of an issue.

I think, as physicians, we should all 'aim high' for our patients, maybe not at the expense of our own health, but we will be called upon to sacrifice our own 'funtime' for our patients throughout our career. Maybe not all the time, but at least some of the time.

So while I agree that gunning for A's isn't the only way to med school, doing one's best in med school (be it just passing or getting straight A's)is a laudable goal. "Sliding by', IMHO, is just a poor attitude to have in a practicing physician.

Besides, why deliberately limit yourself? Good grades means bigger chances of getting into competitive residencies. If you find out late in third year that you LOVE ophthmology or something, wouldn't you hate yourself knowing that you *could* have done well, but didn't?

Personally, if I had tried my best and did poorly, I would shrug and say, "Well, I tried my best". But if I had just slacked off and couldn't get into my residency of choice, I would be pissed at myself for not having the hindsight to doing well.

I actually experienced this when I screwed around my last two years of college when I thought I wasn't going to do med school after all----boy, did those years come back to bite me in the ass! When I decided to apply to grad school, and later, med school, my poor last semester reared its ugly head and I had to spend extra time and money to fix my mistakes.

I have come to realize that while doing well may not help me, doing poorly could hurt me if my goals change in the future. I hope to never have that 'hey, I won't need to do well' attitude again in med school.

Having watched many friends go through med school, I'm planning on taking on a part time job while in school doing what I do as a volunteer now (HIV counselor). Make money, fewer loans, good upkeep of people skills. I've seen my friends who, like me, went in after a "life" of working full time (50+ hours), taking post-bac classes (~2 a semester), and volunteering 15-20 hours a week all together for a few year stretch, and med school was a freakin' vacation in comparison...if you have great time management skills and a good memory, no need to spend more than 50-60 hours a week between classes and study, from what I've seen. So plenty of time for a part time job AND some fun. But I've yet to go through it myself...that'll start in a few months! whoot!

OSUdoc08 said:
It's okay to strive for A's.

If you step on other peoples' toes to get there, then you have become a gunner.

No, I won't step on anyones toes just strive for A's. I have always helped my classmates out. I want to work together so we can all get A's.

OSUdoc08 said:
I'll give you an example of the effort I put into it:

During finals week of MS-II year, I watched 100% of the NBA playoff games, and went out to a few bars on nights before exams.

I'm in the top 25% of my class.

P.S. I didn't do any research.

P.S.S. I never attended class or read any textbooks.

OSUdoc08
...Dude, you f'ing crack me up. I think I've already told like 5 people about your comment that 'books make good beer coasters'. THAT is true genius!

USArmyDoc said:
No, I won't step on anyones toes just strive for A's. I have always helped my classmates out. I want to work together so we can all get A's.

You can't all get A's at least not in my school. In NYCOM, only the top 15% get honors. So, you are saying the other 90% of the class shouldn't be doctors? Come on here.

yanky5 said:
You can't all get A's at least not in my school. In NYCOM, only the top 10% get honors. So, you are saying the other 90% of the class shouldn't be doctors? Come on here.

That's awful.

Our school wants everyone to do well in school and everyone to do well on boards and be excellent physicians. There is no stratification like at NYCOM.

If that means everyone in the class makes all A's, then so be it.

yanky5 said:
You can't all get A's at least not in my school. In NYCOM, only the top 10% get honors. So, you are saying the other 90% of the class shouldn't be doctors? Come on here.

If I was on the H/P/F system, I'd just get P's and spend the rest of my 'study time' on the boards.
I don't condone slacking, but I think alot of being a solid FP/IM doc is more about interpersonal skills, as long as you have the basic knowledge. So many doctors are socially inept - patients don't even tell them half of their problems because they don't feel comfortable with their docs.
Having said that, I don't plan on doing FP/IM...so what the hell do i know?
BTW, Kubed, I noticed that 'inostitol' mistake too. :laugh:
And here's a second vote for pathology as the 'nerd specialty'.

OSUdoc08 said:
Why not?

Medical schools spoonfeed you with typed up notes and bolded test questions, unlike college. You don't even have to attend class. My undergrad had a 75% required attendance policy.

I was just accepted into NSU-COM and when I interviewed I was told that they have a 75% attendance policy as well. A bit unusual, but I ain't skeered. I would probably be there anyway. I would hate to get to Comlex/USMLE and max out my attempts like a friend recently did at MUSC. As expensive as med school is, it's a heckuva lot more expensive without a license.
-Dr. EMS

DR. EMS said:
I was just accepted into NSU-COM and when I interviewed I was told that they have a 75% attendance policy as well. A bit unusual, but I ain't skeered. I would probably be there anyway. I would hate to get to Comlex/USMLE and max out my attempts like a friend recently did at MUSC. As expensive as med school is, it's a heckuva lot more expensive without a license.
-Dr. EMS

All of the syllabi for all of the classes say we have a 100% mandatory attendance policy to all lectures and labs. I did not attend any lectures this semester.

At your school, do they fail you if you don't attend the 75%? If so, did you apply to any other schools?

It's good idea to give everyone A's. But then your A's don't mean anything if everyone gets them. :smuggrin:

At NYCOM passing and honors is determined by a bell curve. Usually passing comes out to be like 70 with a mean around 80 and a standard deviation of around 10. [65 is almost always failing] So, 16 percent always fail. Honors is always the top 15 percent of the class [correction from before when I said top 10%, I THINK it is 15%]. I didn't know the schools have such different ways of scoring.

OSUdoc08 said:
All of the syllabi for all of the classes say we have a 100% mandatory attendance policy to all lectures and labs. It did not attend any lectures this semester.

At your school, do they fail you if you don't attend the 75%? If so, did you apply to any other schools?

The good thing about my school is that attendance is optional 90% of the time. So, when I am fed up and want to take off to study, I just stay home and skip school. All lectures are recorded and available online. Go NYCOM! You are only required to attend IMPORTANT stuff such as anatomy lab, OMM lab, DPR [where you meet with a practicing physician], and fake patient meeting. This is "unofficial" though. I think officially you are supposed to attend everything but no one does. Some guys only go to lecture 10% of the time. I don't blame them bec. a lot of the lecturers put me to sleep and I learn more on my own. So, if you want to goof off, go to NYCOM. It's a lot of fun! 0% lecture attendance policy. :laugh: But you have to do above the bottom 16 percent on tests to pass though. [They give retests if you fail though, so no big deal]

In fact, today I ditched class and posted stuff on SDN. : :smuggrin:

yanky5 said:
You can't all get A's at least not in my school. In NYCOM, only the top 15% get honors. So, you are saying the other 90% of the class shouldn't be doctors? Come on here.

WHERE did I say the other 90% shouldn't be doctors??!!? Please show me! I was saying I preferably want to have a group of students I study with and we, as a collective group, can shoot for A's. I bet you we wouldn't even get them, but who cares. You try

bblue said:
BTW, Kubed, I noticed that 'inostitol' mistake too. :laugh:

I'm getting mad at you guys making fun of my type errors. WTF? :scared: Here's one for you nerds:

In which one of the following processes are inositol 4,5 bisphosphate cleaved?

A- alpha one adrenergic receptor activation
B- alpha two adrenergic receptor activation
C- beta one adrenergic receptor activation
D- beta two adrenergic receptor activation

Don't stay up all night on this one!

yanky5 said:
I'm getting mad at you guys making fun of my type errors. WTF? :scared: Here's one for you nerds:

A- alpha one adrenergic receptor activation
B- alpha two adrenergic receptor activation
C- beta one adrenergic receptor activation
D- beta two adrenergic receptor activation

Don't stay up all night on this one!

:laugh:
Chill out man....the only reason I pointed out the inositol thing was that I don't consider myself a nerd (although if you read my posts on SDN you might think differently), and yet first thing I notice is a minor spelling error.
BTW....GREAT Mult. Choice question..I'll get right on that :sleep:

noonday said:
Having watched many friends go through med school, I'm planning on taking on a part time job while in school doing what I do as a volunteer now (HIV counselor). Make money, fewer loans, good upkeep of people skills. I've seen my friends who, like me, went in after a "life" of working full time (50+ hours), taking post-bac classes (~2 a semester), and volunteering 15-20 hours a week all together for a few year stretch, and med school was a freakin' vacation in comparison...if you have great time management skills and a good memory, no need to spend more than 50-60 hours a week between classes and study, from what I've seen. So plenty of time for a part time job AND some fun. But I've yet to go through it myself...that'll start in a few months! whoot!

i'm planning to work part-time as well. How many hours do you think you'll put in each week?

yanky5 said:

Your spelling looks pretty good this time, but there is a problem with subject/verb agreement in your question. The singular form of the verb to be (is) should be used instead of the plural form (are). Although processes is plural, it is the object of the preposition, not the subject.

scpod said:
Your spelling looks pretty good this time, but there is a problem with subject/verb agreement in your question. The singular form of the verb to be (is) should be used instead of the plural form (are). Although processes is plural, it is the object of the preposition, not the subject.
Damn English Majors. :scared:

HunterGatherer said:
i'm planning to work part-time as well. How many hours do you think you'll put in each week?

dunno. going to give it through the first set of exams to feel out the time management before making that decision. somewhere between 10 and 25, also depending on what i can get (either HIV counseling (first choice) or tutoring or a pt. time job at brookhaven doing geochem) and what they want me to work. how many hours also depends on if i get into an evening program for getting a certificate in women's and gender studies and/or one in chinese medicine...

you?