Who is considered the founder of neuropsychology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NeuroDroid

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've searched for this but all I get is basically a history of neuroscience and psychology. I was wondering who was or who were the founders of what we call clinical neuropsychology now? Any interesting books I can read from them?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would argue Ward Halstead.

The classic answer is luria, although he muddied the waters by going back and getting his md at 35.

Ward halstead, followed by Ralph reitan were next and applied traditional psychometrics.

Members don't see this ad :)
I love Luria! Reading up on Halstead and and Reitan now. Thank you :)

I would say the field also depends on the Brenda Milner, who investigated the classic case of H.M.

A lot of Vygotsky's work just before he died was thought to have inspired Luria. Also during the wars or that era they had more focal head injuries from gunshots, etc so I think that helped provide patients/subjects.

Pretty sure a lot of their colleagues were killed or disappeared due to government stuff going on around that time so might be others who are missing from history.

Of course there are influential folks such as Luria, Vygotsky, Binet and others. But I think for the practice of "clinical neuropsychology" proper, Ward Halstead is pretty much it.

Reactions: 1 user
I have started reviewing neuropsychology books and material to prepare for ABPP neuropsychology exam and in one of the books the name Sir William Osler is listed as the first physician to use the word Neuropsychology and D.O. Hebb was the first to use it in his 1949 book titled "The Organization of Behavior: A Neuropsychology Theory." Apparently, in the early development of neuropsychology, it was common for physicians/psychologist/researchers to steal others works and take credit. I believe Halstead was originally a comparative-experimental researcher/psychologist and most of the tests for the Halstead-Reitan Neuropsychology Battery were actually developed by others but they attempted to standardize procedures with norm referenced groups. From what I was informed by one of my supervisors, it was quite common for these historical figures in neuropsychology to have problems with alcoholism and drug addiction (Heroin/Opium/Cocaine) and we all know about Freud and how most of his theories were stolen and his Cocaine Addiction. Surprising, I too am having trouble finding most historical information about the history of neuropsychology but it is not a main area of focus on the ABPP exam from what my supervisor tells me. Apparently, one of Luria female associates he was involved in a long-term affair was responsible for stealing and selling much of his research to Americans and Europeans back during the Cold War when it was hard to communicate with Russians.

From what I can tell from my readings and discussion with supervisors, many of these historical figures were not overly concerned about following standardized ethical models and it is not exactly clear who actually is the founder of neuropsychology. I guess if you were to get technical we do not have clear evidence of early on research especially in the Eastern/Asian parts of the world.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Cool it, gossip girl.

Halstead and Luria would be the first two names that pop into my head if we're just going to talk about founding the contemporary practice of clinical neuropsychology, although many of Luria's methods may now be considered more aligned with behavioral neurology (e.g., less norming, more pathognomonic signs). And as others have mentioned, they both had contemporaries and forebears who significantly contributed to the field, and for whom similar arguments could be made.

Halstead was working for neurologist/neurology doing research using rats and initially it was called Medical Psychology but later changed to neuropsychology. Seems that American emphasis came out of John Hopkins Hospital and University of Chicago.

As a science, neuropsychology is associated as still in infancy and parallels psychometrics/ testing history for psychologist. Now psychiatrist are calling themselves neuropsychiatrist and diagnosing patient with mental status and brief neuropsychology exams while minimizing influence of neuropsychology and psychology.

Last edited:
Halstead was working for neurologist/neurology doing research using rats and initially it was called Medical Psychology but later changed to neuropsychology. Seems that American emphasis came out of John Hopkins Hospital and University of Chicago.

As a science, neuropsychology is associated as still in infancy and parallels psychometrics/ testing history for psychologist. Now psychiatrist are calling themselves neuropsychiatrist and diagnosing patient with mental status and brief neuropsychology exams while minimizing influence of neuropsychology and psychology.

Neuropsychiatry is not the samer thing as neuropsychology. It has been around longer than neuropsychology too.

Neuropsychiatry is not the samer thing as neuropsychology. It has been around longer than neuropsychology too.

Duh! They were not calling themselves neuropsychiatrist but we're using title of psychiatrist. Current day neuropsychologists are psychologist first so some disagree with why is there a different title or need for a different title.

I reviewed a report recently and it had EEG and other types of computer assessment from CogMed and it was signed by a neurophysiology tech and a neuropsychiatrist. In talking to the patient, he did not actually visit with the neuropsychiatrist but he saw the tech and did a computer assessment via CogMed and the report was titled neuropsychology evaluation. I was expecting a standard neuropsychology evaluation report.

Well... Sam Goldstein at the NASP conference at Orlando Disney World just said Luria is the Father of Neuropsychology back in 1966. Muriel Lezak is the Mother of Neuropsychology.

Last edited: