Who made a 499 on their Cytopathology exam???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cytopath1111

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I find it hard to believe that I have met two people who both took the exam...and both failed it by 1 point.....TWICE !! That's right. Both took the exam twice. Both failed it twice. Both made 499, twice.
How is that possible???? Are the folks in Tampa playing with people's lives? Are they trying to make money from exam takers? Does anyone have any information about this that might shed some light on it.
If you did make a 499, please let me know.....it would be good to find out if something sneaky is going on ...

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone have any idea what these scores mean? Is it line an SAT

That's harsh. It'd probably be less nerve-racking if they failed by twenty points vs 1. I've known people who failed AP or CP by one point i.e. 499/500, but not subspecialty boards. I would not recommend them to get a re-score. ABP has pretty strict grading criteria and they state they are confident in the accuracy of their scoring system. It's just another 250 bucks down the drain, imo. What's the pass rate on Cyto boards anyway? Figured it should be pretty high...

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
It's not $250, it's $2000. Not sure what the pass rate is...they don't share your real score info or let you see the graded test.....

Well, I always thought they gave you your score if you failed, but not if you passed. Has that changed?