who matched where

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
those willing to post where and how high on your rank list you matched, please do so here

Members don't see this ad.

Univ. Fl. Was my number 2. My number 1 was my home program, but they passed me over for 3 other students at the home program (Univ South Fl.). A little bitter sweet, but I'm actually happy overall and I think that this is the best for me and my wife.

Reactions: 4 users
Nice. I'll be at UF too! I live in Gainesville with my family already, so pm if you have any questions.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats Floridians! I left Florida for residency in my home state and miss it every winter. I'm still a little beach-sick. :(

Congrats Floridians! I left Florida for residency in my home state and miss it every winter. I'm still a little beach-sick. :(

Definitely trying to get back to VA. congrats to everyone

UF > USF

I matched to a fantastic program, and I'm pretty stoked about it. (Haven't decided whether to disclose or not.) This program was admittedly not at the top of my list, as my top few choices were based on regional preference. However, the program I matched at has (I believe) the best clinical training of any program I interviewed at. It will be a big adjustment for me to move so far away from home by myself into a totally different climate..... but I believe this program will make me the best doc I can be. I'm sincerely thankful to my program for seeing something good in me, to have ranked me high enough to match with them. I am honored and very appreciative.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I matched to a fantastic program, and I'm pretty stoked about it. (Haven't decided whether to disclose or not.) This program was admittedly not at the top of my list, as my top few choices were based on regional preference. However, the program I matched at has (I believe) the best clinical training of any program I interviewed at. It will be a big adjustment for me to move so far away from home by myself into a totally different climate..... but I believe this program will make me the best doc I can be. I'm sincerely thankful to my program for seeing something good in me, to have ranked me high enough to match with them. I am honored and very appreciative.

Russia?

Shy group? Or still partying?

Classically, people left it up for 2 days then deleted; your secrets are safe with us.

Congrats to those above! Euthymia, there's always love on SDN.

Hi Euthymia!

I am feelin' ya. Me, too: Nothing. :sorry:

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited:
I matched at my first choice! I get to be near my family and work with some of my favorite people. :)

I would love to know where more of my fellow SDNers have matched!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I am not going to mention my program since I have previously posted in the "what are my chances" thread. I was able to find a program, and wanted to thank OldPsychDoc for his input/advice, as it was spot on. Program was high on my short rank list.

This is how I feel about what happened to me. My top choice was based on region/familiarity ( I love Tampa and my brother is in west Tampa now while my mom/sister are back and forth from Orlando/Tampa), but I just feel like UF is the better program educationally, because right now it's just offering more stability with no forseeable change in the future. UF has a crapton of money devoted to GME, and the resident benefits as well as their overall happiness reflects this. Plus, family still isn't far.

I don't want to sour grape anything (is that the correct usage? lol) as I'm happy for my colleagues that have the benefit of staying, but still, I'm very happy to have the opportunity to train at UF.

I just hope that my wife is able to enjoy Gainesville enough. She just graduated with her BA, and she isn't working currently (we both feel that there's no need as of right now), and we're planning to have kids during residency. I just hope that there is enough to keep her happy on days where I'm on call

Last edited:

really doubt this.......and the reverse(USF>UF) is probably just as true.

The idea that someone is going to be a better psychiatrist because they go to one or the other of those programs is pretty silly.

really doubt this.......and the reverse(USF>UF) is probably just as true.

The idea that someone is going to be a better psychiatrist because they go to one or the other of those programs is pretty silly.

In the long run, it probably doesn't matter. But USF psych's problematic relationship with TGH is well-documented here, and it does influence education. I experienced it as an MS4.

But good residents will be good physicians regardless where they go. If you give a damn about your work, you'll do a good job.

vistaril said:

I don't know that anyone said that, at least that's not what I took away from Shan's 6 character post. I can think of many reasons one program may be better than the other and have it not be related at all to how good of a psychiatrist you'll be.

After so much activity reviewing programs, I'm surprised to see that this has been about the most dull post match discussion ever.

After so much activity reviewing programs, I'm surprised to see that this has been about the most dull post match discussion ever.

People are probably just hesitant about disclosing where they matched, its a small world in medicine and a good portion of it is linked to sdn

People are probably just hesitant about disclosing where they matched, its a small world in medicine and a good portion of it is linked to sdn

I can see not disclosing where you're going, but I'm surprised that people aren't sharing anything. You know -- I matched, and I'm happy about where I'm going.

Dull? With vistaril on the thread?

I think the problem is that many people found out where they matched on Tuesday. All the excitement was then and yesterday was a formality. I found out yesterday and I was excited, but I've been trying to decide whether or not to reveal my program so that's why I haven't posted yet. Basically, I matched my number 3. I'm happy. I do wonder about all the love notes from my first two, but I'm glad I matched and that it was at one of my top 3.

its a small world in medicine and a good portion of it is linked to sdn
SDN only seems big when you're on it. The big cliff is when the premeds get into medical school. Another one is "I matched!" Then tumbleweeds. If you're still on as you finish residency, you're potentially a lifer.

But I'd reckon its a small percent of docs who are actually on SDN. Less than 2-3%, I'd reckon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SDN is a great resource IMO even past residency. The banter between psych attendings here is very educational/informative.

SDN only seems big when you're on it. The big cliff is when the premeds get into medical school. Another one is "I matched!" Then tumbleweeds. If you're still on as you finish residency, you're potentially a lifer.

But I'd reckon its a small percent of docs who are actually on SDN. Less than 2-3%, I'd reckon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A number of years ago, Doc Samson and I presented about this forum at a national meeting. Only ONE person came forward at this (admittedly small, but in educational circles quite influential) meeting to say that they had lurked on the forum. Several program directors and other educators told us that they didn't even know it existed. These weren't tweed-wearing, pick-up-the-mouse-and-try-talking-to-it Luddites, either.

Face it, we're not as important as we think we are... :thinking:

In medical school, from what I could tell, I was just about the only person who came here regularly. Of my fellow residents, none of them come here. Also, it's funny that all the people who post here regularly, while not broadcasting where they are, are relatively open about it. Those with only a few posts seem to be the most anxious.

Happy to live in NYC with my hubby. Matched at St. Luke's-Roosevelt!

I can see not disclosing where you're going, but I'm surprised that people aren't sharing anything. You know -- I matched, and I'm happy about where I'm going.

I'm happy where I matched.

Sorry. Not very juicy. I'm a lifer--as NDY says--and I just want to keep posting from the hip without worrying about dragging the reputation of my program into it.

But congrats to those of us who matched and I'm very sorry for those who didn't.

I matched! And I'm excited about where I'm going. I ended up with my second choice, however, I was really confused about my top two choices so I kept changing my rank list up until the last minute and then absolutely regretted my changes when the rank list was due. There's an old quote that a friend passed along to me about how when you are faced with 2 choices, you should toss a coin and it works because in the brief moment when the coin is in the air you suddenly know what outcome you're hoping for. After my final rank list was due and the whole process was out of my hands, I realized where I wanted to be all along and luckily I ended up matching there.

got my number 3 choice (still not sure whether I'll disclose). I was a little sad to not get my top 2, but I did really love my 3rd program. I clicked with all my interviewers, it's a beautiful hospital, and I know I'll be happy. Plus a couple of friends from undergrad live there. The best part is, the cost of living is so low I think I can afford to buy a place. So really I think matching in a smaller town has its own perks!

No match. No soap. No love.
Hi Euthymia!

I am feelin' ya. Me, too: Nothing. :sorry:

Oh no! I am so very sorry. :cryi: Are either of you DOs? Are there any DO psych positions left? Are there any allopathic psych positions remaining after the SOAP? Do you know what might have been the deficiency in your app this year - applied too late, applied to too few programs, ranked too few programs, etc? I saw your other post, Euthymia, about being $370k in debt, so I can't imagine how you must feel. Don't give up hope! If none of the above options pan out, apply to all 180+ MD psych programs this coming year to ensure that you will match this time around. Apply on the very first day ERAS opens! Try to interview at 20 places if you can. Find some health related job to support yourself, which will also boost your application this next time around. Talk to your school financial aid office to see what is the best thing to do about your loans in the interim, until you start residency in 2015. You can also start a thread, and I'm sure people here would be happy to advise you both how to match this time around.

cognitive reframing in action here :)

I agree with this, as I noticed the same. However, my thoughts on this are that it is not totally unhealthy. It can be positive. I can choose to be sad about having to move so far away across the country. Or I can choose to remind myself that the program I matched at is awesome, and that I will get a great training there. So I choose to be happy and focus on what I love about my program. I'm going to go into it with an open heart and mind - ready to work hard and learn as much as I can. It will be hard enough being 2,000 miles away from my family. Lots of big changes this year, and a lot of emotion to go with it. But I am hopeful that big change equals big opportunities to grow personally and professionally.

Call it cognitive reframing... but I'm just going to focus on all the things I love about my program, as I want to move there being as excited as possible about all the great training I'm going to get.

Last edited:
Man, I've been hearing a lot both online and from colleagues who were expecting one thing from post-interview communication and got something else. It was strangely opposite for me. I wasn't told anything misleading. And I didn't say anything misleading.

Do you guys think it's just applicants are not reading the langauge correctly or have they been deliberately mislead. I tend to think the former, that people don't know fluffy language when they hear it, especially when they want to hear a certain outcome.

In other words for future applicants, if they say you're swell or even fantastic and that they're sure you will fit in well there that just means your on the rank list. On the other end of the spectrum if the PD is calling or writing you to recruit you and gives you a hard sell you might be a little more confident in being ranked to match there.

But if I'm making the communication effort and am not told anything very specific then I didn't have any expectations whatsoever other than that as long as I didn't tank my interview I hoped I was on their list somewhere.

I guess I don't understand the source let down for people in terms of thinking they were mislead.

I agree with this, as I noticed the same. However, my thoughts on this are that it is not totally unhealthy. It can be positive. I can choose to be sad about having to move so far away across the country. Or I can choose to tell myself that the program I matched at is far superior in training quality than the programs in my region which I ranked above it (though most people would agree with me that the program I matched into is awesome, and very well regarded on this forum). So I choose to be happy and focus on what I love about my program. I'm going to go into it with an open heart and mind - ready to work hard and learn as much as I can. It will be hard enough being 2,000 miles away from my family, after having spent nearly my entire life in my state. And focusing on the fact that my #1 didn't want me (despite their positive post-interview communication and the fact that residents there loved me and told me I was a sure thing, as I even rotated there) will get me nowhere. So as emotions are running high right now, trying to be objective isn't going to help me. Looking at things objectively... I'd be admitting that I'm going through a range of emotions right now, being ecstaticly happy and grateful, fearful and sad all at the same time. I was talking to my parents on the phone, and I can also feel the mix of emotions in their voices... I can tell how proud of me they are, but I can also feel their fear and sadness to lose me over this great distance. I am also newly single, so I imagined going to residency with my beloved... but now I'm going alone to a place where I know no one. Lots of big changes this year, and a lot of emotion to go with it. But I am hopeful that big change equals big opportunities to grow personally and professionally.

Call it cognitive reframing... but I'm just going to focus on all the things I love about my program, as I want to move there being as excited as possible about all the great training I'm going to get.

I'm anxious myself, and I'm moving 2 hours away! But I'm more worried about being a good intern and making sure the program doesn't regret choosing me (while maintaining a normal life outside of residency). I want to represent my program well.

Last edited:
I got mislead, at least a little, by a very aggressive "love note" from a program; they all but used the magic words "you are ranked to match" and for me to get on the next train to happytown.

By mislead I mean I really expected to match there based on the interview day, and that feeling was reinforced by the unsolicited love note I got from the PD in late January. The love note did not make me move the program to #1 - it was already #1. But still, I got a jolt when I opened that envelope on Friday, but it wore off in just seconds as I was ecstatic to match at #2.

This is a ****** and way too drawn out process. No sour grapes, just tellin' it like it is. To next year's cohort: don't believe any "love notes" from programs. Don't play the game, either. Don't send any "you are my #1" emails or anything else - it is all for naught. Apply, interview, send appropriate, short email thank you notes immediately after the interview, and ignore anything a program sends you after the interview. Easy to say, hard to do, but just do it.

I am pointing the finger at programs that send out these damned love notes - applicants and programs should go radio silent after the interview except when responding to interviewee follow up questions (but really, what is there to ask after the interview?).

Before someone asks me to post the language from the love note, I have already deleted all emails from that program and from all the programs I will not be attending, along with throwing in the trash all the interview day handouts, coffee cups, etc. It felt quite cathartic to clean out that pile of crap that was accumulating in the corner of my tiny apartment...

Good luck to all next year!

You too! I can see being mislead by active recruitment. None of my top programs actively recruited me, so I was just curious about what was happening to people. Well...I'm glad we don't have to go through that again. In the case of fellowship I'm not worried about it because the option there is making attending money.

So....what happens now?

Do they send us a contract?

Man, I've been hearing a lot both online and from colleagues who were expecting one thing from post-interview communication and got something else. It was strangely opposite for me. I wasn't told anything misleading. And I didn't say anything misleading.

Do you guys think it's just applicants are not reading the langauge correctly or have they been deliberately mislead. I tend to think the former, that people don't know fluffy language when they hear it, especially when they want to hear a certain outcome.

In other words for future applicants, if they say you're swell or even fantastic and that they're sure you will fit in well there that just means your on the rank list. On the other end of the spectrum if the PD is calling or writing you to recruit you and gives you a hard sell you might be a little more confident in being ranked to match there.

But if I'm making the communication effort and am not told anything very specific then I didn't have any expectations whatsoever other than that as long as I didn't tank my interview I hoped I was on their list somewhere.

I guess I don't understand the source let down for people in terms of thinking they were mislead.

I think it's a little bit of both. I do think some applicants read way more into the language in an email than is actually there. But I also think that some programs play the game. They know that when they say "ranked to match" most people will take that to mean a sure thing, unless they've been around SDN and know not to get their hopes up. So when applicants get a "ranked to match" email and then rank that place #1, they expect to match. Then they get disappointed when they don't. While technically not a lie as they could have been ranked high enough that any other year, they would have matched there, it isn't entirely sincere on the program's part either.

Yeah, they send out contracts soon. I've never signed a contract, so that's pretty exciting.

Haha.... I have that fear too! I think I matched out of my league as my program is too good for me! I tend to be a bit slower learning things than other people, but once I understand what it is I'm doing, then I'm solid and very dependable. I would be crushed to know that my program ever had any regrets on ranking me... so I will work as hard as I can so that they don't ever have any regrets. Being that I'm leaving family to move across the country, my program will essentially be my new family... so doing well there means a lot to me.

This post could have been written by me. Every word.

You too! I can see being mislead by active recruitment. None of my top programs actively recruited me, so I was just curious about what was happening to people. Well...I'm glad we don't have to go through that again. In the case of fellowship I'm not worried about it because the option there is making attending money.

So....what happens now?

Do they send us a contract?

Yes, along with a bunch of other stuff from the GME office (like the application for licensing). I heard from my program on Friday by phone and a barrage of emails later Friday and on Saturday, and I had to already send in a preference for intern year electives - it is happening!

I could not be happier with my match - I said all along I would be thrilled at any of my top 3, and that was the truth. I just wish the program in question had not sent out the love note - why do it if you can't back it up? If there was only less time between a love note in January and the match 2 months later, that would help a lot. That is a very long time to have their words in the back of your mind...disgraceful, really.

The program I matched at out sent out NOTHING post interview. That is the way it should be...

There is Hanlon's Razor for this.. "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

But as I've just now found out Goethe got there first and better.. "...misunderstandings and neglect create more confusion in this world than trickery and malice. At any rate, the last two are certainly much less frequent."

I don't think these programs are trying to trick anyone. If everyone makes their rank lists honestly the algorithm ensures they get their best possible outcomes. I think the best strategy is to ignore any additional information and just rank according to your own preferences.

Yes, along with a bunch of other stuff from the GME office (like the application for licensing). I heard from my program on Friday by phone and a barrage of emails later Friday and on Saturday, and I had to already send in a preference for intern year electives - it is happening!

I could not be happier with my match - I said all along I would be thrilled at any of my top 3, and that was the truth. I just wish the program in question had not sent out the love note - why do it if you can't back it up? If there was only less time between a love note in January and the match 2 months later, that would help a lot. That is a very long time to have their words in the back of your mind...disgraceful, really.

The program I matched at out sent out NOTHING post interview. That is the way it should be...

Cool. I have heard nada from my program administratively. Hopefully next week. I'm ready to sign in blood.

Yeah Tyrone, I like the quotes and agree with the Rx it's just, I think, slightly more gray. What happened to psychotic and perhaps pervasively is in the vague realm of disingenious seduction. Probably lots of programs feel the same way about applicants. But I just talked to my 1 and 2 matter of factly stating they were exactly that. And nobody laid any slick lines on me. So I guess everyone's experience is different.

Oh no! I am so very sorry. :cryi: Are either of you DOs? Are there any DO psych positions left? Are there any allopathic psych positions remaining after the SOAP? Do you know what might have been the deficiency in your app this year - applied too late, applied to too few programs, ranked too few programs, etc?.

There are some DO psych positions left but not many. I'm still in communication with one place. If this doesn't work out, maybe I will try to find a TRI spot and hope to move into a pgy2 psych position next year, although I'm not sure how easy this is to do. I'm not sure why I didn't match. I have no failures, no big red flags. Board scores are a little below average, but I think that is the norm for psych. I applied pretty broadly but got <10 interviews. Ranked all programs. I generally got good feedback. One PD said he liked me, would be ranking me highly, and hoped we could work together. Another program said they would be ranking me but then didn't fill in the match, so obviously I wasn't ranked. There must be something toxic about me or my application, but I can't figure out what it is.

Last edited: