who matched where

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am actually an internal medicine intern. I switched to psych this year and stayed at my current program (and hometown) University of Oklahoma - Tulsa. It was my #1 due to the fact we own a home here already and is a good program. I'll be able to start as a second year thanks to my intern year of internal medicine.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I am actually an internal medicine intern. I switched to psych this year and stayed at my current program (and hometown) University of Oklahoma - Tulsa. It was my #1 due to the fact we own a home here already and is a good program. I'll be able to start as a second year thanks to my intern year of internal medicine.

Congrats! That's a good place to be.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks Dr. Bagel. I like to think it's a good place also. :)

Agreed on being a good place. Pretty laid back too. Great call schedule (or lack thereof?). I interviewed there last year. Would have ranked higher had I not been a DO (state osteopathic board requires dumb stuff so I'd only get 1 month of psych first year then go straight into outpatient, which didn't seem ideal. Plus having to do more surgery, ER, OB, peds and medicine and whatnot.

Also very happy with my match! Congrats everyone :)

I was curious how the programs I interviewed at did, so I glanced through the match outcomes for this year. If anyone else is interested, the programs that didn't fill:
UC Irvine (6/9)
GW
MCG (2/7)
LSU New Orleans
Berkshire MA (1/4)
BU
Pine Rest MI (4/6)
St Mary MI (3/6)
WSU/Detroit (7/10)
Cleveland Clinic (4/8)
Cincinnati (4/6)
OHSU
Jefferson

Last edited:
jackson1 said:
If anyone else is interested, the programs that didn't fill:

UC Irvine (6/9)
GW
MCG (2/7)
LSU New Orleans
Berkshire MA (1/4)
BU
Pine Rest MA (4/6)
St Mary MI (3/6)
WSU/Detroit (7/10)
Cleveland Clinic (4/8)
Cincinnati (4/6)
OHSU
Jefferson

most of those programs sort of deserve to be on that list based on what i've heard about the directions they were heading in but UCI and Cincinnati are big surprises

EDIT: i'd always thought OHSU's method of letting the residents have such a major say in the selection process was ridiculous and would bite them in the back someday. that seems to be happening already. for an institution of its caliber, the psych residency program is a big disappointment

Last edited:
I matched to my first choice. :) I'm so happy that I get to return to the west coast from which I hail! No more blazing hot south for me. I'd rather not disclose my specific program publicly, following the trend of some folks above. I am however more than happy to chat in messages with future DO applicants (or really any applicants, if they're interested) about my journey. Several people around here have been extremely helpful to me by posting their experiences and answering random questions over the years. <3 the SDN psychiatry forum.

most of those programs sort of deserve to be on that list based on what i've heard about the directions they were heading in but UCI and Cincinnati are big surprises

EDIT: i'd always thought OHSU's method of letting the residents have such a major say in the selection process was ridiculous and would bite them in the back someday. that seems to be happening already. for an institution of its caliber, the psych residency program is a big disappointment

I don't think residents having a say in the selection process had anything to do with OHSU not filling. I'm not sure where you're getting that connection. I also remain puzzled by the idea that it's a bad thing for residents to be actively involved in selecting their future colleagues.

Also, it's pointless, I'm also editing to add that I disagree with your conclusions about the psych program, which I'm guessing are based are very little actual knowledge of the program.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
there is a difference between having a say and having a big say. i have a very good idea about how the selection process works there and it's my personal opinion that it isn't very healthy. residents have their own biases (tons of them actually) and aren't experienced enough to be picking future residents at the program. this ain't a frat

there is a difference between having a say and having a big say. i have a very good idea about how the selection process works there and it's my personal opinion that it isn't very healthy. residents have their own biases (tons of them actually) and aren't experienced enough to be picking future residents at the program. this ain't a frat

Dude....chill with the attacks on this program. How programs decide to do their business is their business. No one without a ulterior motive would care that much. Your conclusions are either misguided or intentionally misleading. A great program could not fill for a variety of reasons.

Members don't see this ad :)
ok

interested in what this ulterior motive could be though

Those are some really awful number for renowned places like CC, UCI and Cincinatti.

I'm very happy with where I matched as well. :) sorry to those who weren't able to match this year...

Now, it's time to figure out how to buy a car... I haven't owned one of those in ages!

This does make me wonder what your personal investment is. As for a frat, we're certainly not that, and that's not enforced by residents having a say in recruitment.

Besides if you knew as much as you're saying you'd know, you would still be aware that faculty are also actively involved in selection -- it's not as if residents are picking everyone with no input. In fact, like all programs, the training department ultimately decides who to interview and who to rank where.

This does make me wonder what your personal investment is. As for a frat, we're certainly not that, and that's not enforced by residents having a say in recruitment.

Besides if you knew as much as you're saying you'd know, you would still be aware that faculty are also actively involved in selection -- it's not as if residents are picking everyone with no input. In fact, like all programs, the training department ultimately decides who to interview and who to rank where.

Hi DB,
I will say its surprising that even though I would have loved to go to Oregon, they wouldn't interview me (and rather go unmatched). I got interviews at some of the best programs in the country, had above 240 on both steps top 50% of my class no red flags us md student. Why do you think they went unmatched after turning away highly qualified applicants? I am, however, very happy where I matched.

I turned down my PM&R matching from last match, and matched this time at EVMS psychiatry. It was first on my rank list (my wife is from there and we were trying to get back to her home town).

I was curious how the programs I interviewed at did, so I glanced through the match outcomes for this year. If anyone else is interested, the programs that didn't fill:
UC Irvine (6/9)
GW
MCG (2/7)
LSU New Orleans
Berkshire MA (1/4)
BU
Pine Rest MI (4/6)
St Mary MI (3/6)
WSU/Detroit (7/10)
Cleveland Clinic (4/8)
Cincinnati (4/6)
OHSU
Jefferson

Surprised about UC-Irvine. I thought CA was a highly competitive location. What happened with BU and MCG??? Ditto Cleveland Clinic. And Berkshire only got 1/4??? What does a program do when they only get one person? I feel bad for that person.

I turned down my PM&R matching from last match, and matched this time at EVMS psychiatry. It was first on my rank list (my wife is from there and we were trying to get back to her home town).

How did you turn down your PM&R match? I thought that was a match violation.

Hi DB,
I will say its surprising that even though I would have loved to go to Oregon, they wouldn't interview me (and rather go unmatched). I got interviews at some of the best programs in the country, had above 240 on both steps top 50% of my class no red flags us md student. Why do you think they went unmatched after turning away highly qualified applicants? I am, however, very happy where I matched.

As a DO interested in OHSU for the next cycle that's intimidating

I think it's less intimidating and more sketch.. They have DO's in their program, but seem rather random in their selection process.

I could be wrong, but I think the class of 2015 will have an easier time of it at the programs that didn't fill. OHSU isn't going to want to go a second year without filling, so they're likely to interview/rank more people than they did this year. Same for CC and the remainder of those programs that didn't fill. Not saying anyone can skate right in, but my guess is they're going to be more open to interviewing all qualified applicants, even if they're not super stars.

Hi DB,

Hi MedJosh,
I have no clue why you didn't get an interview. The training department decides who to interview, and I'm not sure how those decisions are made. Not knowing how the process works, I can't say much about it, but it certainly sounds like you would have been a great candidate. I'm glad you're happy where you matched.

We actually have lots of DOs now, but it seems like the department is especially comfortable with osteopathic schools that we've already gotten residents from. As an applicant for next year, definitely be proactive in contacting the department if you don't get an interview in the first round. Good luck!

On the selecting applicants for interviews, again I'm not involved, but it seems like most of the people I met who interviewed here this year just weren't going to come here anyway. They were either going to go to a bigger name place or to a place in a more preferred location for them (generally California). Of course, we also have lots of people in the program who could have gone to bigger name places (including in California) but chose OHSU, so it's not like we want to screen those people out (or even that we would know how to).

This thread is 80-90% less fun than last year's thread.

Reactions: 2 users
Looks like I found a spot.

Reactions: 11 users
Looks like I found a spot.

Woohoo! Congratulations! :clap: Would be interested in any info you have to share about your search process... was the program you were previously communicating with, or did you manage to find an open ACGME or AOA residency?

Congratulations Euthymia! :)

Great news. Maybe we should call you Euphoria

Woohoo! Congratulations! :clap: Would be interested in any info you have to share about your search process... was the program you were previously communicating with, or did you manage to find an open ACGME or AOA residency?
After I failed to match in the SOAP, I contacted all the open AOA psych programs (7 of them?) Got 2 skype interviews.

Reactions: 4 users
Doesn't matter how, getting in is everything. Congratulations again. Hopefully you will be ACGME bless by the time it matters and there will be a world of fellowships knocking at your door. Best of luck, you will do well.

Reactions: 2 users

Disclosure: I really have no say in OHSU and really the only thing I know about them is they have a cool tram thingy that takes people up a hill... but I'm not sure what the issue is with residents assisting in the selection process. Residents have a way of detecting weirdness that some faculty can't. Honestly when interviewing with some of our research faculty, an applicant could spend 40 minutes with their finger in their nose and they'd still get high marks as long as they talked research. Residents generally have a better eye for the applicants, especially those that rotated in the department.

Though I guess on that topic, I do think it's amusing how much attention OHSU has gotten over the years (good and bad). I'm at one of the larger programs in one of the country's largest cities and no one really says anything about us. Sad... I'd like to hear some good gossip (especially to know what problems are out there with how we present ourselves when recruiting).

UC Irvine (6/9)
GW
MCG (2/7)
LSU New Orleans
Berkshire MA (1/4)
BU
Pine Rest MI (4/6)
St Mary MI (3/6)
WSU/Detroit (7/10)
Cleveland Clinic (4/8)
Cincinnati (4/6)
OHSU
Jefferson

Wait... is the number like (4/6) the number filled or the number left empty? Are all these ACGME? At least one of these is in my home state and I've never even heard of it.

Wait... is the number like (4/6) the number filled or the number left empty? Are all these ACGME? At least one of these is in my home state and I've never even heard of it.

4/6 would be 4 filled out of 6 spots. If I didn't write down a number, only 1 spot was unfilled. It's all from the 2014 NRMP Match Outcomes, so I think they're all ACGME?

Attachments

• MOAPS_2014.pdf
    198.4 KB · Views: 101
Disclosure: I really have no say in OHSU and really the only thing I know about them is they have a cool tram thingy that takes people up a hill... but I'm not sure what the issue is with residents assisting in the selection process. Residents have a way of detecting weirdness that some faculty can't. Honestly when interviewing with some of our research faculty, an applicant could spend 40 minutes with their finger in their nose and they'd still get high marks as long as they talked research. Residents generally have a better eye for the applicants, especially those that rotated in the department.

Though I guess on that topic, I do think it's amusing how much attention OHSU has gotten over the years (good and bad). I'm at one of the larger programs in one of the country's largest cities and no one really says anything about us. Sad... I'd like to hear some good gossip (especially to know what problems are out there with how we present ourselves when recruiting).

Yeah, I thought it was pretty standard for residents to have a say. Isn't that why people are on their best behavior (usually) at the pre-interview dinner and at the interview lunch?

Not to take it even further down the path of sidetracking this thread (though it feels like participation is dissipating), but would doing an audition, at OHSU, do more harm than it would good? Just shoring up VSAS and while I know auditions aren't necessary for psych matching, it seems like a good use of an elective as long as I'm not going to shoot myself in the foot.

Yeah, I thought it was pretty standard for residents to have a say. Isn't that why people are on their best behavior (usually) at the pre-interview dinner and at the interview lunch?
I think you'll find that most programs have faculty and residents both weigh in and the PD take all camps into account.

Any program that based their decisions on solely faculty impressions or solely resident impressions would be a dangerous thing. The former would skew to Ivy League kowtowing white males and the latter would lead to a collection of people you'd like have have friendships or sex with who may or may not know anything about medicine.

would doing an audition, at OHSU, do more harm than it would good? Just shoring up VSAS and while I know auditions aren't necessary for psych matching, it seems like a good use of an elective as long as I'm not going to shoot myself in the foot.
OHSU is one of the programs I would consider doing an audition at.

I'm not one of these folks that is doing the (pretty new) OHSU-bashing, but I think the program has a pretty demonstrated history of being very selective in who they want to interview (e.g. some folks who may look great on paper have been suprised to not get interviews there). There are a lot of other great programs like this that tend to be very selective for good fit (San Mateo is another good example). These are exactly the kind of programs you DO want to do audition rotations at if you are serious about wanting to match there and willing to work hard.

I think you'll find that most programs have faculty and residents both weigh in and the PD take all camps into account.

Any program that based their decisions on solely faculty impressions or solely resident impressions would be a dangerous thing. The former would skew to Ivy League kowtowing white males and the latter would lead to a collection of people you'd like have have friendships or sex with who may or may not know anything about medicine.

One would assume those who know nothing about medicine wouldn't have made it to the interview day. Don't most programs weed out applicants based on class rank, board scores, third-year grades, and letters of recommendation (that presumably at least mention something about fund of knowledge)? Not sure how you can determine who may or may not know anything about medicine on interview day, unless you're pimping them in interviews or something.

I matched at one of my top 3 and am totally stoked about it! :)

Not to take it even further down the path of sidetracking this thread (though it feels like participation is dissipating), but would doing an audition, at OHSU, do more harm than it would good? Just shoring up VSAS and while I know auditions aren't necessary for psych matching, it seems like a good use of an elective as long as I'm not going to shoot myself in the foot.

You already know auditions aren't necessary in psychiatry, and I know I matched at a place I visited only for two days. But, I have friends who had matched at really competitive places in California where they did their aways at.

So, IF you are going to do away rotations, I would really suggest you save up your limited elective time and do it instead at places you would really, really like to match at. Unless that happens to be OHSU in which case I would just be surprised.

Also, as my friends say, aways are good only when you blow them away. So, be stellar during your time there and make them want you!

One would assume those who know nothing about medicine wouldn't have made it to the interview day.
Sorry, I was exaggerating for the sake of humor. Sounds like this wasn't clear. This is the drawback of being raised before emoticons... ;-)

it is. but some programs skew it too much one way or the other, and in doing so, end up with more of the bias notdeadyet has mentioned above