WHO or externship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

littlereddot

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I will be applying to pediatrics in 2016 match. I graduated from a LCME-accredited Canadian med school in 2014. I have been offered a 3 month internship at the WHO in Geneva (it's a research internship. not clinical). I also want to do externship via medclerkship to gain US clinical experience and LOR.

I am having a dilemma choosing those 2 summer projects. Which do you think will be more helpful for residency application. A 3 month WHO internship (in immunization department) or 2 month externship in US?

Members don't see this ad.

Observerships are a waste of time. If you don't have real USCE already, standing around watching people interview and examine patients for a couple of months (which costs you money) won't make up for that. The WHO thing is kind of cool...do that.

Although I agree the WHO experience sounds interesting, the OP graduated in 2014, and thus has now missed out on two possible start dates -- July 2014 and July 2015. Getting some clinical experience is a good idea also, given the extent that you've been out of training. Long pauses like this are not a good plan.

Thanks for the replies guys. How useful do you think are the externships provided by the agencies? They say it's hands-on (not observership). How do program directors look at these experiences.

I agree that I have not been doing any clinical work for 2 years but I am completing an M.Sc in Epidemiology and my thesis is on pediatrics. Also, I am working on a systematic review on neonatology as well. I mean, I am doing something that is related to pediatrics and medicine. Is it considered as a huge red flag on my application? My step scores are above average for pediatrics.

I did a WHO internship and was in a similar position as you as far as YOG and choosing between an externship or this. The externship companies are shady at best. WHO was an awesome experience. Made several great contacts, got an LoR, and two publications, and living in Europe was its own bonus.

Most programs I interviewed at were very interested in what I did there.

APD brings up an important point though as the most common question was US clinical experience. Additionally, 3 months in Geneva is insanely expensive. If your interested in policy or later working in an international organization the contacts are helpful.

I did match for whatever that is worth in your own decision making.

Happy to help with your stay in Geneva if you go through with it.

As a graduate of a LCME-accredited Canadian medical school, I am not considered as an IMG so I think USCE does not apply to me. I did all of my core clerkship and 4th year subinternship in Canada. And, I have 3 peds specific LoR from Canadian pediatricians.

The only reason why I wanted to do externship in US was because I wanted to show the PDs that I have not been out of touch with clinicals. But then, WHO internship sounds like a once in a lifetime opportunity and I don't want to give that up.

As a graduate of a LCME-accredited Canadian medical school, I am not considered as an IMG so I think USCE does not apply to me. I did all of my core clerkship and 4th year subinternship in Canada. And, I have 3 peds specific LoR from Canadian pediatricians.

The only reason why I wanted to do externship in US was because I wanted to show the PDs that I have not been out of touch with clinicals. But then, WHO internship sounds like a once in a lifetime opportunity and I don't want to give that up.
Thanks for clarifying. I misread your original post (even though you were very clear about having graduated from a Canadian school), in which case, USCE is irrelevant for you and paying any of those scam artists to set you up for something you don't need, and won't really benefit from, is a huge waste.

One question (which gets to aPDs issue) is, why didn't you go into the match earlier. I know you said you're doing an Epi master's, but WHY? Did you not match that first year? Did you think you didn't want to do clinical medicine after all and went for this instead and now you've changed your mind? The answer you give to this question (not to us but to programs) is going to be way more important for your future than what you spend a few months doing later this year.

Thank you gutonc. I appreciate your advice. Should I mention the reason for not applying in my personal statement or in interview? (The reason for not applying earlier was because I was not eligible for CaRMS because I am not a Canadian citizen and I only decided to apply for NRMP at the end of my fourth year and I did not have any of the steps written back then. So I decided to do an Epi masters and write the steps in the meanwhile. I also wanted to gain research experience since i did not do any research in med school.)

Anyway, now that I have been away from clinicals for 2 years, I am worried about my chances of matching. My step 1 was 237, CK was 233 and passed CS on first attempt. What do you think are my chances of matching in pediatrics. I am not picky about programs and I am going to apply mostly to low-tier programs in NY, Illinois and other IMG friendly areas.

I would talk to your prior medical school to see if they can allow you to do any additional rotations. Sometimes they may help.

I wouldn't limit yourself to "low end" programs. Especially with the extra degree, publications, and WHO experience, you might be very attractive to programs. AGain, the biggest issue is lack of clinical experience these last years. Volunteer somewhere. Find a pedi person at your current location to work with. Something.

Thank you for the constructive feedback. I will try to find some observership opportunities from the pediatricians that I have worked with in med school.

Just a question of curiosity. How do program directors see Canadian medical graduates? Are we at a disadvantage compared to AMGs? Are we in the same tier as IMGs? (I mean, our medical curriculum is very similar to American med schools, and it's as hard to get into Canadian med schools, if not harder.)

You're considered equal to US MD grads. Your need for a visa will be a much bigger deal. I agree with aPD that you should apply higher up the food chain than you're planning to do (while including some lower tier places for safety given the gap and visa).

graduating from a Canadian med school won't be a huge issue...they are LCME school and essentially are seen as the same as USMD schools...but you made mention that you are not a Canadian citizen...but more importantly are not a US citizen ...your visa status may make a difference.

Thank you so much, guys, for the great advice. My medical school doesn't offer any advice for NRMP match so I do not have any support from the Student Affairs office for the NRMP.

With my step scores, research experience and 2 years gap, how many programs do you think I should apply. Do you guys think applying to 40-50 programs (both university and community programs) sufficient?

Hey guys,

I will be applying to pediatrics in 2016 match. I graduated from a LCME-accredited Canadian med school in 2014. I have been offered a 3 month internship at the WHO in Geneva (it's a research internship. not clinical). I also want to do externship via medclerkship to gain US clinical experience and LOR.

I am having a dilemma choosing those 2 summer projects. Which do you think will be more helpful for residency application. A 3 month WHO internship (in immunization department) or 2 month externship in US?

make sure it is an externship - since externship is very different from observership
exteresnhip you actually work as a medical student and make a good effort to ask ahead for reference letters.