Who pays more for Certified Pharmacy Techs? CVS or Walgreen's?

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by Anthony T, 05.25.09.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. Anthony T

Anthony T 2+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
    I'm trying to get experience by working as a Pharmacy Tech at CVS or Walgreen's. I have interviews with both, but I know they pay for you to get certified.

However I heard that Walgreen's pays more than CVS. Is that true?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. tommyVoltage

tommyVoltage 2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    There are probably half a dozen posts about who pays more for certified technicians. It depends on your area, but overall I think Walgreen's pays more. I'm a certified technician at CVS and I make $7.15 (minimum wage in Pennsylvania).

4. Kirbypuff

Kirbypuff Worldling 2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    CVS definitely is the champion of worst technician pay rates. I think Walgreen's, Kroger's, Walmart, and Target give better rates. Rite Aid and Duane Reade also start you off at minimum wage.

5. GlamDoc

GlamDoc 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I've heard good things about Target.

CVS only pays $7.15? Your skills are definitely worth more!!

6. Passion4Sci

Passion4Sci LML Moderator Emeritus 2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Indies pay the best by far in my experience. We start our techs here at $11.25. Rong-Aid starts them at just over CA minimum wage and Target is $1.75 over minimum wage. Not sure about Wal-Mart.

7. thephoenician88

thephoenician88 wat. 5+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    it depends on location, maybe you should be worried about who gives you a job first.

8. trailrider400

trailrider400 5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Yeah first you should see if both of them even offer you a job. There are other factors you should consider too like where you'd like to work, the # of scripts they do in a day, and which pharmacy manager you seem to like and connect with more. Otherwise I really have no clue which pays better but i'd assume they'll tell you what they are going to pay you before they make you accept the job.

9. sungieality

sungieality 5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    What's the name of your independent pharmacy, if you don't mind me asking?

10. Passion4Sci

Passion4Sci LML Moderator Emeritus 2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    PM'd.

11. FuturePharmist

FuturePharmist Accepted Pharmacy Student 2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    I was a certified tech at CVS for 2 years. I started at $8.00 and left making $8.93. I started working at Walgreens making $11.25. From my experience CVS is is cheap as hell. You're supposed to get a 4% raise each year but a month before mine was due they cut it to 3%. I think I remember Walgreens saying they give raises every 6 months instead of a year but I'd have to check on that. I can't recommend working there as a tech if other opportunies are available.

12. Angel222

Angel222

Definitely Walgreens I have worked for both CVS and Walgreens and the pay and amount of work you have to do is better at Walgreens. I was a shift manager at CVS. Walgreens pay me the same amount to be a photo tec. and they have a lot more people. So we can actual help customers. I did not realize how bad it was at CVS till I started working for Walgreens. Go easy on CVS people they have it bad.

13. Swishers

Swishers 5+ Year Member

I'm still debating working or not during P1. From your experience, what's a good way for me to distinguish myself from the chaff when applying for a job at either place? Did they ever hire students that only wanted to work like 10 hours a week on weekends?

14. kpownw

kpownw

Pre-Pharmacy
    Not sure if this is true across the nation, but Walgreens in Oregon is facing huge budget cuts. I make over $12 as a certified tech but am struggling to get more than 20 hours a week. Personally I think it is much more important to find an environment that you work well in rather than the one that pays the most.

About the ads