Who Retook Classes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TaylorGang

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I graduated from SMU in 2014 with a B.S. in Biochemistry and a minor in Psychology. My overall undergraduate GPA is a disappointing 3.2 and I took the MCAT once with minimal study and received a 23 (10 6 7). I have more than enough volunteer work, shadowed a a couple doctors and currently manage a toxicology lab. My main concern is my GPA as I know I can perform solid on the MCAT with proper study. I have currently been studying for the LSAT which has dramatically improved my reading comprehension and should improve my verbal reasoning section. My question to the experts out there is if I retake my 7 C's which were mostly obtained in my first year of college at a junior college, will medical schools average my grades? Or is that not even possible since that degree has closed and I have already walked the stage? I was talking to a close friend and he was telling me that is impossible. Once a degree is finished you cannot retake courses to improve GPA is what he is telling me. This is very important to me because I obviously don't want to retake these classes and get nothing out of it. Here is a list of the classes I got C's in:

History I
History II
Government I
Financial Accounting
Bio I
Genetics
Ochem II

I was thinking I can start studying for the MCAT again after the LSAT in Feb. and take it in the summer and then re-take all of these classes during the year as I apply to medical school. Does that even sound plausible? These classes would be easy re-takes for me and wouldn't require much study time. Obviously my back up plan is to start law school in the fall and pursue a career in either corporate law or patent law. However, I would enjoy practicing medicne more as that was my initial goal and what I really want to be doing in my future.

Members don't see this ad.

I retook classes when I was looking at DO. I retook a few of them something like 10 years after I took them originally and at a different school. It was quite easy to do. I'd retake all. Science is the priority of course, but you have a non-science/overall grade as well.

Here is a list of the classes I got C's in:

History I
History II
Government I
Financial Accounting
Bio I
Genetics
Ochem II

I was thinking I can start studying for the MCAT again after the LSAT in Feb. and take it in the summer and then re-take all of these classes during the year as I apply to medical school. Does that even sound plausible? These classes would be easy re-takes for me and wouldn't require much study time. Obviously my back up plan is to start law school in the fall and pursue a career in either corporate law or patent law. However, I would enjoy practicing medicne more as that was my initial goal and what I really want to be doing in my future.

Just curious why you think these courses will be "easy re-takes" and won't require much study time?