Who should I ask for recommendations? I screwed up and don't know many of my professors well

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

narla_hotep

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm about to start applying to medical school (specifically, MD/PhD programs). I need to start asking professors for letters of recommendation like NOW, but I'm starting to freak out because I've realized I don't know many of my biology professors very well. I've built relationships with some professors through research (the PI of the lab I work in, another professor who organized the summer research program at my university that I took part in), but I often can't find time to go to office hours and get to know the professors for the classes I'm actually taking. Like, most of them probably don't even know my name or who I am besides the fact that I get good grades on their exams.

I know that you're supposed to get two recommendations from science professors in your university... Do these have to be from professors whose classes I've actually taken? I'm definitely asking my PI for a letter but I'm wondering if I could also ask the professor from the summer program even though I've never actually been in any of his classes. I also have a physics professor from last fall I could ask, and *maybe* someone who taught my microbiology class three years ago (but it's been way too long since I talked to him...) but I just feel terrible and antisocial because I don't know many of the professors from biology classes I've taken. :(

Also, do MD/PhD applicants still have to have a letter from a non-science faculty member? I know a teacher whose folklore class I really liked, but she's not a professor yet and is actually still in her final year of grad school... She did teach the class herself though, she wasn't just a TA.

So basically I could ask my research PI, the summer program professor, the physics professor, and maybe the grad student teacher from my folklore class. I could also possibly ask my boss from my tutoring job or an honors program advisor who helped me apply for national scholarships... Would either of those be good ideas? I don't know why but I'm really stressed out and just dreading the process of asking for these letters.

Members don't see this ad.

I would also like to know what advice you get, because I only have 1 science and 1 non-science letter writer, I need another science but I have no clue who to ask because I am not familiar with anyone besides the ones I already asked for letters :/

Hello,

I'm about to start applying to medical school (specifically, MD/PhD programs). I need to start asking professors for letters of recommendation like NOW, but I'm starting to freak out because I've realized I don't know many of my biology professors very well. I've built relationships with some professors through research (the PI of the lab I work in, another professor who organized the summer research program at my university that I took part in), but I often can't find time to go to office hours and get to know the professors for the classes I'm actually taking. Like, most of them probably don't even know my name or who I am besides the fact that I get good grades on their exams.

I know that you're supposed to get two recommendations from science professors in your university... Do these have to be from professors whose classes I've actually taken? I'm definitely asking my PI for a letter but I'm wondering if I could also ask the professor from the summer program even though I've never actually been in any of his classes. I also have a physics professor from last fall I could ask, and *maybe* someone who taught my microbiology class three years ago (but it's been way too long since I talked to him...) but I just feel terrible and antisocial because I don't know many of the professors from biology classes I've taken. :(

Also, do MD/PhD applicants still have to have a letter from a non-science faculty member? I know a teacher whose folklore class I really liked, but she's not a professor yet and is actually still in her final year of grad school... She did teach the class herself though, she wasn't just a TA.

So basically I could ask my research PI, the summer program professor, the physics professor, and maybe the grad student teacher from my folklore class. I could also possibly ask my boss from my tutoring job or an honors program advisor who helped me apply for national scholarships... Would either of those be good ideas? I don't know why but I'm really stressed out and just dreading the process of asking for these letters.
I don't think you need to have taken their class, as long as they are science profs

Members don't see this ad :)
Go to the websites of the schools you're planning on applying to and see what their specific requirements are. Some will want professors whose classes you have taken, for others it doesn't matter so long as you have worked with them in a professional setting. Most schools don't technically require non-science letters either, I didn't have one and it didn't hurt me (as far as I know, lol)

Usually they need to be from professors whose class you took. Honestly if your other two letters are good I would just ask a prof from a class you got an A in. While it will probably just be generic about how you are a good student this is better than not having a letter.

I don't think you need to have taken their class, as long as they are science profs
Some schools will explicitly request letters from professors who had actually taught the applicant in a course.

Some schools will explicitly request letters from professors who had actually taught the applicant in a course.
Can confirm this.

OP can you possibly take a class from your PI during the summer?

If not a generic LOR from someone who barely knows you is better than none.

Reactions: 1 user
You can email a professor whose class you got an A in and explain that you are hoping for a letter of recommendation - offer to meet with him/her for an hour during office hours or whenever is convenient for them in order to discuss your career goals, etc. If they agree to meet with you, send a CV and your personal statement to the professor prior to this meeting so they can get to know you a bit prior to the meeting!