Who should I be sending thank you notes to after interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

boltedbicorne

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
One time I was blessed with a school that doesn't accept thank you notes, but since then I've been sending thank you notes to my interviewers, the faculty and financial officers that came to talk on curriculum and financial aid and even the dean. The thing is that this gets really stale and tiring (imo its harder than actually interviewing), who do I HAVE to send thank yous to? Just the interviewer?

Members don't see this ad.

From what I've seen, you don't HAVE to send thank you notes to anyone. I was a bit surprised, but it sounds like for the most part they aren't expected. I've never heard of anyone sending notes to the financial officers... Where did you get the idea that you were supposed to do all that?
If you really want to send thank you notes, stick with your interviewers. They're the ones who took the time to meet with you one-on-one. Otherwise, save yourself the trouble.

Reactions: 1 user
From what I've seen, you don't HAVE to send thank you notes to anyone. I was a bit surprised, but it sounds like for the most part they aren't expected. I've never heard of anyone sending notes to the financial officers... Where did you get the idea that you were supposed to do all that?
If you really want to send thank you notes, stick with your interviewers. They're the ones who took the time to meet with you one-on-one. Otherwise, save yourself the trouble.

so would it be bad to thank these people such as financial aid anyway?

Members don't see this ad :)
so is the fact i wrote one to each of the people who gave presentations a problem (student life, financial aid, etc) or will it mess up my chances of getting in? i made them all unique and genuinely thanked them for answering my questions.

so is the fact i wrote one to each of the people who gave presentations a problem (student life, financial aid, etc) or will it mess up my chances of getting in? i made them all unique and genuinely thanked them for answering my questions.

Jesus, stop thinking of things in terms of is this good or is this bad. You don't have to be so neurotic as a premed. All I'm telling you is that it is a waste of your time to write these thank you notes as they have no bearing over whether or not you will get accepted.

Reactions: 2 users
Jesus, stop thinking of things in terms of is this good or is this bad. You don't have to be so neurotic as a premed. All I'm telling you is that it is a waste of your time to write these thank you notes as they have no bearing over whether or not you will get accepted.

true, im just trying to figure out the consequences of what i've done are :(. obviously it's not goin happen again but besides that.

true, im just trying to figure out the consequences of what i've done are :(. obviously it's not goin happen again but besides that.

Zero consequences. You were being courteous. It may not improve your chances of acceptance, but it's not necessarily a "bad" thing. In fact, I think it's fairly likely that the financial aid person appreciated the note.

Dont listen to him. I promise you he's sending thank you letters and telling you not to in order to get an upper hand. If i were you, i'd semd well thought out thank you letters to everyone

I would just say thank you to your interviewers. It can't hurt. I wouldn't send them to the dean. Try to limit them to people who you actually spent time talking to.

Dont listen to him. I promise you he's sending thank you letters and telling you not to in order to get an upper hand. If i were you, i'd semd well thought out thank you letters to everyone

@deuist is an attending physician :smack:

Typically they are addressed to anyone you interview with, though you send them to the admissions office and they will forward them to the correct people (or if you got your interviewers' e-mail addresses then e-mail them directly). No one cares about thank yous. When I receive them, I send a very short reply back and immediately delete them. I don't think any more or any less of people because of a pretty superficial e-mail that they likely copy/pasted to every interviewer that they sent.

Stop overthinking it. Send thank yous if your moral compass compels you to do so. Don't send them if you're lazy or otherwise don't care. They don't matter one iota.

They get ignored, so you don't have to send them.

One time I was blessed with a school that doesn't accept thank you notes, but since then I've been sending thank you notes to my interviewers, the faculty and financial officers that came to talk on curriculum and financial aid and even the dean. The thing is that this gets really stale and tiring (imo its harder than actually interviewing), who do I HAVE to send thank yous to? Just the interviewer?