Who Should I Shadow?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JustLookingforAnswers

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

To help improve and establish an impressive medical school application, any advice in regards to the type of shadowing needed? Who should I shadow? I know many of you are going to tell me to obviously shadow an M.D., but wouldn't I just by an extra burden on their day?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Medical schools want/require you to shadow MD/DO. Many schools love if you shadow family medicine, since a majority of students don't go into that field, and it is also the most needed. Start off shadowing a family practice doc, then whatever your interests are from there. But I would say its a must to shadow at least 1 family doc. And it really depends on who you choose to shadow if you are "an extra burden on their day." Most docs are friendly and love to help students out. You ultimately would want a letter from a doc, so pick a good one and stay with them for some time throughout the year or so. Don't shadow someone that won't teach you anything.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
While shadowing an ER Dr at the University of Utah, a fourth year that was on the admissions committee said that if someone applies without shadowing any FM it's a red flag for them.

Reactions: 1 user
While shadowing an ER Dr at the University of Utah, a fourth year that was on the admissions committee said that if someone applies without shadowing any FM it's a red flag for them.
"University of Utah"........................

utah

I'm from the area, I know why. :rolleyes:

Who you shadow doesn't matter nearly as much as how you talk about your shadowing experiences and integrate them into your explanation for why you want to devote your professional life to medicine.

Others have recommended you shadow at least once in a primary care specialty or office based practice.

Reactions: 1 user