Who took MCAT without ever studying for it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HistoRocks

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
By no studying, I mean no review books, no practice tests, no practice course, etc. Basically, without any practice. And what was your score?

Members don't see this ad.

HistoRocks said:
By no studying, I mean no review books, no practice tests, no practice course, etc. Basically, without any practice. And what was your score?

I don't think anyone is dumb enough to take the MCAT without at least taking a practice test... I am dumb enough to take it without much studying though. Went the PR class, took the practice tests and did fairly well on them ~29-32. did poorly on the actual exam.. :D who'd know brain stuff would show up on the MCAT.. oh well

There was a guy in the "summer after sophmore yr" thread who got a 34, taking the MCAT in HS. Not to slight preparation or anything, but makes ya wonder.

hAHA SUCKAZ!!!!!!! If anyone tells you they took the MCAT without studying she is a lying fool. End of story.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone who takes the MCAT without studying is either really smart (gifted), or really stupid (unwise).

One of the doctors I work with took it after just taking 2 practice tests. He claimed he didn't study and that it just took those 2 tests. He graduated from UT Houston med.

HistoRocks said:
There was a guy in the "summer after sophmore yr" thread who got a 34, taking the MCAT in HS. Not to slight preparation or anything, but makes ya wonder.
you shouldn't wonder for long - his score went down after he took the pre-req's? Unless he inhaled alcohol like air, I don't buy it.

Amorphisgirl said:
hAHA SUCKAZ!!!!!!! If anyone tells you they took the MCAT without studying she is a lying fool. End of story.
wow. now we have junior high kids on here too? I have a friend who took it totally blind. I doubt she did well though.

HistoRocks said:

I'll probably get roasted again, but I took the August MCAT 2000 as a dry run. I wanted to see if on a bad day, I could think well enough to be a doctor. Yeah - dumb, I know, real dumb, but done.

Scores: PS 9, VR 11, BS 10, WS Q

You hear it over and over, it is a thinking test - and that is the only thing that pulled me through the crap I, either: 1.)never saw before 2.)forgot years before.

TheProwler said:
you shouldn't wonder for long - his score went down after he took the pre-req's? Unless he inhaled alcohol like air, I don't buy it.

My "after" score's going to tank. After three full years of never looking at a scantron, much less competing...what's left of the bubble-munching sector of my brain will have gone the way of a retired NFLer. *squish* *burp* :scared: Let's just say summer '07 will feature a lot of hot nights between me and Mr. Kaplan Review Book, if I don't want to embarrass myself on test day.

And it isn't just me. The senior down the hall who's taking the MCAT this round also wishes he could go back to HS and do it...when he actually knew the material. It's all about the APs.

But I maintain that anyone of average premed intelligence, regardless of actual clue, can at least beat the mean if they read what's there and don't panic. Proof: http://www.antwon.com/?d=mcat

There are very few people who could take a test like the MCAT blind. And generally those people, i.e. my former Verbal MCAT professor, are people whom have a significantly vast amount of knowledge on all sorts of things from literature to the sciences. In other words, these people are people who can do well on the sciences not because they took the classes, but because they have read various different literature on their own without the need for a formal education on the sciences. They are people whom can see patterns and relationships to different things easily and conceptually analyze things quite easily to get well on these sort of things.

I heard of story a long ago about a lawyer deciding to go back to med school. This lawyer got a 40 on the test without studying for it or having much science background. It was because of ability to conceptually analyze things of her own accord.

So are there rare instances of people taking the MCAT and doing well???? Yah.

However, they are just that..............RARE!!!!

Not an everyday occurrence.

I wouldn't recommend you do it. I would at least take 2-3 practice tests, if not at the bare minimum at least 1. And study for at least 1-2 months if nothing else. But you have to know your own strengths and weaknesses.

i took the MCAT, after only taking 1 practice test. I also did not have Physics 2. I did ok...30 P. i would have done tons better if I had studied...but i took it overseas and was having too much fun. i still got 5 interviews and accepted to my #1 choice with that score though. i don't think i am super typical...my friends who are taking PR now, scored between a 10 and a 16 on their first practice tests, and they are smart. i scored a 29 on the practice test i took. anyhoo, good luck to everyone taking the MCAT in april! relax (if that is possible). i don't think it is as important as it seems...i have friends that got interviews with scores as low as 20. once you get an interview, it is more based on the interviews is what i have heard from admissions reps. i never once got asked about my MCAT scores. later, J

When I was a junior, I took the MCAT (april) without doing any studying, and no practice exams. I managed to score a 33 overall.

Interestingly, 4 years later I took 3R to gauge where I am and scored a 36! I was concerned about being out of class for so long, but I've been working in research and I think that I've essentially lost a lot of minutia and gained a lot of comfort with the science passages as a whole by having a better understanding of experimental design.

Regardless, I've been studying like crazy for a couple of months now, and I can't seem to increase my score AT ALL. Go figure.

Anyhow, I decided I will be happy if I can get a 33 again. Hopefully I won't get thrown a curveball in April! :laugh:

Fusion said:
Anyone who takes the MCAT without studying is either really smart (gifted), or really stupid (unwise).

I definitely think I was more of the latter when I decided to do it...

Things are always so clear in hindsight. :rolleyes:

Sorry for reviving a dead thread, but I'm in a similar situation. I recently signed up for the MCAT with the intention of applying to Guelph (OVC - vet school) but they no longer require the MCAT. I signed up in March but OVC unfortunately only decided to post about removing this requirement in the beginning of April. The test is $300 but the maximum refund I can receive is $150. This is still quite a bit of money so I'm seriously considering receiving the refund. With that being said, I may very well still take the MCAT since I do plan on also applying to Cornell and Ohio, but those schools (and many other vet schools) accept the GRE instead so that's what I would primarily focus on when I take it (likely in 2 years). Nonetheless, just curious, if you were in my situation, what would you do? Would you just get the $150 that you can back and take a net $150 hit? Would you try writing the MCAT anyways (just for fun and with the possibility of maybe using the score)? I do have quite a busy schedule this summer with full-time work and volunteering on weekends so won't really have much time to study for the MCAT, but it seems like it could be a fun opportunity that I've already invested in.

10 years is when it's dead, buried, and forgotten. I'd take what money I could and focus on the GRE, instead of dividing my resources

Never met a person who did that. Although, I know people who took the exam after 2-3 weeks of moderate prep (5 hours a day, 6 days a week).