Who took the 8-hour MCAT, then re-took it in the new format?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TexasTriathlete

HTFU
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone compare the two? If I don't get in this year, I will probably have to re-take the MCAT since my scores will be too old for most schools. I took it on the paper-based 8-hour format before. What are the differences?

Members don't see this ad.

i took the paper version last year. the major difference is the time. the test really does fly by quicker. before i would have 10-11 science passages but on the new format i was lucky with only 7. in terms of content, same stuff, same style, though some people taking the later exams are complaining that it really is more passage-based questions with more emphasis on critical thinking now than ever with few outside knowledge...how true only time will tell. other than that, it's just adjusting to taking the exam using a mouse and keyboard for the writing. get your hands on one of the cbt exam and that should familiarize you with the format. passage on the left with its own scroller, and questions pertaining to the passage on the right with its own scroller. i like this new version, but i'll make a more in-depth analysis once my scores are out.

For the most part yes. I went in prepared, that is, with the notion that the mcat may ask abstract or bizzare questions. I had a few of those, but using the process of elimination, I am confident I answered them correctly. But yes, the mcat did not change much from paper to cbt. If you have a solid foundation and are great at analyzing and critical thinking, you will be fine. Considering your previous score, I am sure you have developed a method to study and take exam that best suited yourself. Hope that helps. If you want any specifics details, just PM me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks. Hopefully it won't come to that. All things being equal, I'd just as soon never take the MCAT again.

After taking the old version (written) of the MCAT and taking the CBT. I can honestly say the CBT version is nearly a perfect test. I will also admit that I was skeptical of the CBT as I thought taking a test on a computer would be drastically different. It was, but only in good ways. No more trepidations of how much time is left; the timer is on the screen, and is not large/obtrusive nor intimidating. this is one of the biggest benefits of the CBT.

No more bubble-in'ing the wrong answer, as I have been prone to do for at least 2-3 questions even though I know that correct answer.

The "mark" function is amazingingly efficient and will you save you MINUTES since you no longer have to flip frantically through pages and pages of MCAT passage material. Then there's also the return to either "incomplete" or "marked" or both. Damn, the CBT really solved some of the small, but still influential factors of the written test.

Finally, the most surprising pro of the CBT was how much easier the VERBAL was!!! The ability to highlight, cross out answers, un-highlight, underline, all with a click of a button + some dragging was a blessing. My eyes did not get tired from reading the passages, but in fact, i felt alot more relaxed since I spend my time in front of a computer for hours at a time anyways :laugh: If you're comfortable with computers, the CBT MCAT should be a great change for most of you.

Finally, the writing portion was, *laughing*, almost fun to do because I treated it like writing a blog entry, but with more structure and style. While I tend to have more fun with my writing because I use some bizarre idas, I found myself enjoying writing the essays as it was a nice break from all the monotonous clicking.

The scratch paper and pencils they provide for you are more than adequate to do our work. Don't try to "save space" but writing neat/small. I did and ended up with 4 free sheets out of the 5. LOL

One more thing, I never took the CBT version prior to taking the MCAT. Trust that I paid close attention to the 5 minute tutorial they give right before the test. :laugh::laugh:

whehter i scored high or not, i still don't know. i took the aug 9 test, but i didnt walk out feeling like i failed like i did for the written version. maybe it was the solace of working in front of a computer......like all those all-nighter's i've spent finishing a term paper, but dare i say, better?