Who used a D.O. recommendation letter for MD schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ILOVEMED123

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a fantastic connection with a DO and she knows of my interest in osteopathy, and will most likely include this in the letter. I'd like a letter from her and it'll be perfect for DO schools. But will MD schools get the impression that I basically only think I'm cut out for DO and therefore reject me? Or will they view me as someone open-minded to both approaches to medicine, and not overthink it.

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering something similar. I'm applying to both DO and MD so I'm trying to get a DO letter soon and was wondering if I should include that for MD schools as well. However if yours talks about OMM, I personally wouldn't use it for MD schools but that's just my pre-med opinion. Maybe someone else can weigh in on that.

The MD schools won't care that you have a letter from a friend who's a doctor, so don't bother sending it.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
yes. She knows of my internet in osteopathy, and will include all this. Thats why I'm really not sure of it will be OK for MD schools. Perhaps I will tell her beforehand to be wary of the fact that I'd like MD also and to not state anything too rigid.

I have a fantastic connection with a DO and she knows of my interest in osteopathy, and will most likely include this in the letter. I'd like a letter from her and it'll be perfect for DO schools. But will MD schools get the impression that I basically only think I'm cut out for DO and therefore reject me? Or will they view me as someone open-minded to both approaches to medicine, and not overthink it.
Physician letter's are neither required nor desired for most MD schools. DO schools view this differently.

It will hurt me to use it for MD schools?

Um, I've heard otherwise from a credible source.

Physician letter's are neither required nor desired for most MD schools. DO schools view this differently.

We pretty much disregard physician letters.

Could you please tell me why physician letters are disregarded? I thought they were the best to showcase one's interest to medicine...

I agree. I have no idea what he is talking about. Obviously, if its a doctor you just shadowed and thats all, and ask for a letter, just cause you want a letter "from a doctor" that will not do much. But if its someone that you've become close to, has mentored you throughout the process, and knows you on a personal level (whether you shadowed them or not doesn't matter), why would it look bad to get a letter from them?
I do not agree with @gyngyn.
My only concern was using a letter written by a DO for MD schools. Not whether I should send a letter from a doctor in general.

Could you please tell me why physician letters are disregarded? I thought they were the best to showcase one's interest to medicine...
Doctors seem to love everyone who asks for a letter. Due to their/our lack of ability (or desire) to differentiate stronger from weaker candidates these letters have lost significance over time. There is also the strong possibility that the letter writer is merely related to the candidate or the candidate's parent.

A friend used a DO letter last cycle and got into OHSU. Who knows if they read it, or what else was in his application, but I couldn't imagine it hurting you in any way.

Doctors seem to love everyone who asks for a letter. Due to their/our lack of ability (or desire) to differentiate stronger from weaker candidates these letters have lost significance over time. There is also the strong possibility that the letter writer is merely related to the candidate or the candidate's parent.

What about an MD with whom you have worked in a research capacity (i.e., your PI)?

I used a DO letter and not one interviewer brought it up. It definitely didn't seem to hurt me but I don't know how much it helped.

I agree. I have no idea what he is talking about. Obviously, if its a doctor you just shadowed and thats all, and ask for a letter, just cause you want a letter "from a doctor" that will not do much. But if its someone that you've become close to, has mentored you throughout the process, and knows you on a personal level (whether you shadowed them or not doesn't matter), why would it look bad to get a letter from them?
I do not agree with @gyngyn.
My only concern was using a letter written by a DO for MD schools. Not whether I should send a letter from a doctor in general.
Lol gyngyn is on an MD admission committee. Disagree all you want but that is the most direct answer you will get.

Reactions: 1 user