Who votes MSAR adds state preference feature?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Judson

Southbound
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This feature would save many premeds a couple hours. I can't be the only one who's sorting through schools this way! ;) Anyone with me on this?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't find it anywhere! That is, as a search feature.

Maybe there's not a filter for state preference but there's really not THAT many med schools that it's a huge hassle. Your first filter should be for GPA and MCAT, and that narrows the field quite a bit. Then look at individual schools.

Reactions: 1 users
What MSAR should add is listing the number of acceptance offers the school gives out to respective IS/OOS applicants. Sometimes the acceptance offers versus matriculants can vary quite a bit especially between IS/OOS.

Reactions: 2 users
What MSAR should add is listing the number of acceptance offers the school gives out to respective IS/OOS applicants. Sometimes the acceptance offers versus matriculants can vary quite a bit especially between IS/OOS.
100% agree, and I have no idea why this is not included. It can't be any more difficult a statistic to compile than the others...

One thing MSAR should definitely add is grading scheme and curriculum structure. Took forever to find this info on some schools' websites (others don't list it, and I'd have to sift through sdn to find the answer).

what MSAR should do is allow you to input your grades, mcat, state of residence, and suggest schools where you have a high chance of being accepted. Am I right?

Reactions: 1 user
what MSAR should do is allow you to input your grades, mcat, state of residence, and suggest schools where you have a high chance of being accepted. Am I right?

"high"

lol

100% agree, and I have no idea why this is not included. It can't be any more difficult a statistic to compile than the others...
US News has this data. Not sure how accurate it is though. I've found discrepancies between US News, MSAR, and school websites.

One thing MSAR should definitely add is grading scheme and curriculum structure. Took forever to find this info on some schools' websites (others don't list it, and I'd have to sift through sdn to find the answer).
That's because these features change. Very often, schools do not know their grading process and curriculum very well in advance. Not only that, but the MSAR technically comes out only once a year. The change you're suggesting requires the school to maintain that printed policy. Nope, you'll have to go to inidividual school websites to get their latest information.

That's because these features change. Very often, schools do not know their grading process and curriculum very well in advance. Not only that, but the MSAR technically comes out only once a year. The change you're suggesting requires the school to maintain that printed policy. Nope, you'll have to go to inidividual school websites to get their latest information.

Being P/F vs. H/P/F or being block vs longitudinal curriculum is not something that changes on a dime and is something that is discussed and planned for years in advance.

I think it's easily something that MSAR could incorporate.

Okay, a school's grading system -- P/F vs H/P/F -- may remain static for a few years, but I've noticed many schools have recently changed their curriculum. Some curriculums just changed this past year. That's certainly not something they'd be want to uphold if they are in the midst of changing.

US news provides good information on mid-tier schools to top 20 schools. I used that before finding about the MSAR.

since we're voting.. can we vote that it should be free..

I am tired of eating top ramen just so I can keep giving AAMC $30/pop for literally EVERY document.

tumblr_mak17hJgXJ1qzdjv6.gif

General rule of thumb:
Public schools will have in-state preference almost all of the time. Some of the smaller states it's not as prominent, just because they don't get a whole lot of in-state applicants. Some places like Texas they even have 90% quotas.

On the other hand, most of the private schools have no preference.

Anyone know of a good pipeline for ruling out med schools to apply to?

Here's my current one (and it's left me with 39 which is about 24 too high for me):

Filter by my GPA/expected MCAT range > Filter by IS preference vs OOS preference > Filter by geographic location

What should I filter by next?

Anyone know of a good pipeline for ruling out med schools to apply to?

Here's my current one (and it's left me with 39 which is about 24 too high for me):

Filter by my GPA/expected MCAT range > Filter by IS preference vs OOS preference > Filter by geographic location

What should I filter by next?

Honestly unless you have an MCAT solidified, making a list is wasteful. I did it prior to my score, and applied to about 6 of the 20 something schools I had originally. But to feed the muse:

1. MCAT: you want to cover the range (10-90th percentiles aka reach-safety)

2. GPA: same thing as MCAT

3. OOS public: apply to OOS publics with ~>30% matriculated OOS. Generally you want to be median or better in MCAT and GPA for their schools as well

4. State school: apply to your state school. I don't care if it's your number 15. It's your "safest bet" and most affordable.

5. Fit: do you see yourself there? Fit their mission (read MSAR or websites)

6. Price: not really a huge factor early game but will be if you are holding multiple acceptance to expensive schools.