Whoa, what's this... another diversity thread!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jlh19

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

You saw the title and by the similar threads section that I'm looking at right now I can see that this is of course very popular. I just wanted to get your opinion on my standard answer to the diversity secondary question that most schools seem to ask. Feel free to murder it if you would like, I won't be offended! Here it is:

I feel that a unique aspect about me is my stutter because it has helped to humble and strengthen my character. It was not easy growing up with a stutter because of how self conscious and frustrated I felt by not being able to talk like everyone else. Even though it would have been easier and safer to hide behind my stutter, I always chose to keep pushing myself outside of my comfort zone. This helped me learn and understand that sometimes things are not fair and that is okay. It is okay because through hard work, perseverance, and dedication, I can create my own path and accept those things I cannot control. I have grown, through adversity and success, to be confident and comfortable with myself. With this mindset, I worked hard through speech therapy to learn how to control my stutter so that I can effectively communicate with those around me. Through this hard work I have learned to accept my stutter not as a negative aspect, but as a part of who I am. I feel that the lessons I have learned with my stutter, along with my experience in the Marine Corps and EMS, will allow me to bring a different outlook on how to overcome adversity and be a model of perseverance to my peers and future patients.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey everyone,

You saw the title and by the similar threads section that I'm looking at right now I can see that this is of course very popular. I just wanted to get your opinion on my standard answer to the diversity secondary question that most schools seem to ask. Feel free to murder it if you would like, I won't be offended! Here it is:

I like it.

This sounds like a great basis for a diversity essay.

Members don't see this ad :)
See if you can rework that to condense by taking out all the "I"s in it. One other thought, take out the "I feel I am unique" and "show" them ... kind of like the personal statement. Relate the story of overcoming the stuttering through hard work, speech therapy, etc and how all of that has taken you from insecure, self-conscious and frustrated to someone who conquered the Marine Corp and is now EMS.

I like it :) (for whatever that is worth :p )

Reactions: 1 user
Being a Marine alone is good enough for a massive essay. You can leave out the stutter part.

And many thanks for your service to our country. Semper Fi!

Hey everyone,

I feel that a unique aspect about me is my stutter because it has helped to humble and strengthen my character. It was not easy growing up with a stutter because of how self conscious and frustrated I felt by not being able to talk like everyone else. Even though it would have been easier and safer to hide behind my stutter, I always chose to keep pushing myself outside of my comfort zone. This helped me learn and understand that sometimes things are not fair and that is okay. It is okay because through hard work, perseverance, and dedication, I can create my own path and accept those things I cannot control. I have grown, through adversity and success, to be confident and comfortable with myself. With this mindset, I worked hard through speech therapy to learn how to control my stutter so that I can effectively communicate with those around me. Through this hard work I have learned to accept my stutter not as a negative aspect, but as a part of who I am. I feel that the lessons I have learned with my stutter, along with my experience in the Marine Corps and EMS, will allow me to bring a different outlook on how to overcome adversity and be a model of perseverance to my peers and future patients.

What if OP has already spoken extensively about being a Marine elsewhere?

I could most certainly talk more about my military experience but it is already a huge huge part of my application. There are many many people with that military experience also. I don't talk about my stutter anywhere else in my application and it's a huge part of my life so I figured this would be perfect to add right here. That is why I talked about it here and what I've learned from it and how it can help me add to the diversity of the class.