Who's ready to Submit?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Are you submitting on Day 1?

• Total voters

ChillDawg

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, who's ready to submit on Day 1, June 2nd? All the premeds at my school seem to be frantically scurrying to get everything in on day 1, but I'm probably going to submit a week or so afterwards.

For those of you submitting day 1, why the rush? Do you feel that you've given your application enough thought and are truly ready?

For those waiting, why?

Members don't see this ad.

Haven't even started my PS yet

Reactions: 2 users
A week after is still early too! I am submitting on day one/two because I have already fine-tuned my personal statement and activities to be as good as they ever are going to be. I am just continuously going through my AMCAS for small grammatical errors.

It's not like I am going to have a moment of inspiration on like June 20th and find a new perfect way to describe my passion for medicine in my personal statement.

Members don't see this ad :)
Now I have a quick question - if schools download the AMCAS on July 1st, whats the big deal if you submit your AMCAS june 1, june 5, or heck june 30?

Now I have a quick question - if schools download the AMCAS on July 1st, whats the big deal if you submit your AMCAS june 1, june 5, or heck june 30?

Certain schools send out their secondary based off chronological order of when you submitted your primary, Also, verification times increase exponentially from the 1st day on

Verification times. It will take longer to get verified if you wait longer to submit. People verified the first week or two of June might have one week verification times: which is fine since all schools get AMCAS on July 1st. However, wait until the 30th, and you might have a month of verification before doing secondaries.

Someone needs to take this personal statement away from me. I keep reworking it. I will be submitting if only to stop rewriting the damn thing.

Reactions: 1 user
@ZymurgySurfer @PatrickStarMDPHD ahhh makes sense thanks so much for the heads up. My transcript won't get sent out till about June 10 and I'm submitting my AMCAS Day 1 - think I'll be too late for verification???

@ZymurgySurfer @PatrickStarMDPHD ahhh makes sense thanks so much for the heads up. My transcript won't get sent out till about June 10 and I'm submitting my AMCAS Day 1 - think I'll be too late for verification???
You'll be fine...check out last year's verification thread for an idea of how verification times change over the cycle. There's no point in submitting until your transcript is in, unless you just want to be done with it.

More importantly, remember that being seen by the school on July 1 vs July 16th probably makes almost zero difference. Plus, primary turnaround time is only important in that it helps you get your secondary sooner, which helps you be 'complete' (primary, secondary, MCAT, and LORs all in) sooner...and THAT'S what actually matters.

I'm submitting on June 2 because I know that I will not move on and focus on secondaries while I still have my primary, and I'd like to prewrite many of them. I have wonky stats, so I want to be visible in the early bunch, while my MCAT still stands out (and hopefully overshadows my gpa). Also, I want to apply very broadly given my stats, so pre-writing will help me to do so while still getting them in quickly, without compromising quality. :shrug:

Reactions: 1 users
My AMCAS is all set and done. My only issue is I graduated and I'm waiting on one grade to appear on my transcript. However, its a satisfactory/unsatisfactory for a class I TA'd. Should I just send out my transcript now?

My AMCAS is all set and done. My only issue is I graduated and I'm waiting on one grade to appear on my transcript. However, its a satisfactory/unsatisfactory for a class I TA'd. Should I just send out my transcript now?
What's the estimated turnaround time if you wait?

Members don't see this ad :)
But I have no idea when the professor will be able to submit my grade he's having trouble submitting my S lol

But I have no idea when the professor will be able to submit my grade he's having trouble submitting my S lol
That's what I meant...what is the estimated time before the transcript would be in AMCAS if you waited? If it's before mid-June, there's no difference for you, and no point rushing things.

Anyone here watch The League? I totally feel like Ruxin continuously tinkering with his fantasy football lineup as I keep making tiny edits to my AMCAS.

Reactions: 4 users
both my parents, and 3 other people who are (professional) editors all think my PS is great (on the 8th version). It got sent to an animal science PhD who reads statements for grad school and he basically said it was meh. I'm probably gonna submit it on tuesday anyway.

A week after is still early too! I am submitting on day one/two because I have already fine-tuned my personal statement and activities to be as good as they ever are going to be. I am just continuously going through my AMCAS for small grammatical errors.

It's not like I am going to have a moment of inspiration on like June 20th and find a new perfect way to describe my passion for medicine in my personal statement.

Same!

Certain schools send out their secondary based off chronological order of when you submitted your primary, Also, verification times increase exponentially from the 1st day on
Just to clarify, do schools send out the secondary based on chronological order of when you submitted primary or when your primary gets verified (i.e. when transcripts arrive and all that)?

I honestly dont know. This stupid transcript is taking a while. Its been 8 days since I sent it.

I worked on my application throughout May while I was taking my breaks from studying for the MCAT, so I didn't rush to get anything done. I've revised my PS several times, and don't think that doing it several more times is going to make it any better. I already have all my letters and my transcript in. I just want to submit it and get it out of the way so I can focus on pre-writing my secondaries. I feel like so long as you can get your app verified before July it doesn't matter if you submit it on the first day or a week after. It's just that the longer you wait, the longer it will take for it to get verified.

Have we verified this? We could by looking through old threads. Exponentially seems a bit extreme to me...significantly sure but exponentially? My guess it's logarithmic.

Have we verified this? We could by looking through old threads. Exponentially seems a bit extreme to me...significantly sure but exponentially? My guess it's logarithmic.

We MD/PhD applicants have a way of standing out on these forums...

I started my PS a year ago, and filled out the application itself the first day it opened. I feel that my application is the best it will be, so I will be submitting on June 2nd.

When does it become a bad idea to add more schools to your list post-verification?

Finally got a solid draft of my PS done today! Now to send it out to some peeps to be picked apart! Haven't started putting grades in AMCAS yet, but I figure if all goes to plan, I see my MCAT percentiles scores on the 12th and submit that day...Or realize they suck and drink myself into oblivion

So, who's ready to submit on Day 1, June 2nd? All the premeds at my school seem to be frantically scurrying to get everything in on day 1, but I'm probably going to submit a week or so afterwards.

For those of you submitting day 1, why the rush? Do you feel that you've given your application enough thought and are truly ready?

For those waiting, why?

I submitted mine 2 weeks after the first day last year, and it was still verified before the first batch was sent to medical schools (same exact result as those that freaked out and got it in the first day). So I hope that nobody thinks they'll have an enormous leg up by submitting on day one. If you feel like you could use an extra week to polish it up, take it!

This is false. I got all of my secondaries on the first day that each school sent them out.

Can I submit my application without my transcript documented in the office, but I know that the transcript will be in their office in a maximum time from a week from now. Or should I just wait, and then submit?

Exponentially sounds more serious. :p

This is false. I got all of my secondaries on the first day that each school sent them out.

So it MUST be false, since you applied to every school in the U.S. Check the threads from last year if you don't believe me, the trend is blatant

Actually I guess it would probably be some sort of sigmoidal curve if we only looked at "reasonable submission dates" as those late in the cycle probably don't take very long to verify

Actually I guess it would probably be some sort of sigmoidal curve if we only looked at "reasonable submission dates" as those late in the cycle probably don't take very long to verify
Seems more parabolic to me than sigmoidal, then :laugh:
Can I submit my application without my transcript documented in the office, but I know that the transcript will be in their office in a maximum time from a week from now. Or should I just wait, and then submit?
You can submit whenever you like, but it doesn't change anything on the back end. You won't enter AMCAS' queue until your transcript is in, so verification will take the same amount of time if you submit a week before your transcript is in, or on the day it arrives.

So it MUST be false, since you applied to every school in the U.S. Check the threads from last year if you don't believe me, the trend is blatant
I apologize that I wasn't clear on my point. The prevailing neurotic thought on this forum is that you must scramble to get your app in at the first possible minute. This causes people to unnecessarily rush their essays, leading to errors that far outweigh the possible benefits of submitting a bit earlier. Perhaps a minority of schools operate in this manner with regard to verification times, but your original post reeks of the neurotic fear-mongering that runs rampant on this forum.

I'll stand by this: take a deep breath, carefully polish your essays, and submit only when you have crafted the best application you can. Even if it means waiting another week.

Wow, still neck-to-neck...surprising.

I agree with @Glandzburg, submitting day 1 offers no advantage vs, say, 1 week, but the possible disadvantage of submitting a crude app.

I mean they open the app a month in advance for a reason...obviously if you're rushing to submit your app on ANY day (first or weeks later), that's not a good thing. But if you have worked on it throughout the month and have gone over it several times, then why shouldn't someone submit it the first day? No, waiting a week will not make a difference, but I feel like people assume that the majority of people who submit their app the first or second day rush with it or don't put in as much effort, and there's just no way of knowing that.

It should just be emphasized to submit your app when it is READY, not what day it is (unless you're submitting it at like the end of September or something...then that's pretty bad).

I'm submitting mine Day 1, not because I think it'll give me any advantage, but because I'm just done with it. There's nothing else I can add or do besides going over it one more time.

Part of me wants to submit a week or two from now. However, I know my AMCAS is as ready as it will ever be. The biggest change that could possibly happen is an insignificant word change in one sentence in my PS or activities. If I wait any longer, I would probably continuously read my AMCAS over and over again, convincing myself that I am still actually getting work done lol.

I'm submitting mine Day 1, not because I think it'll give me any advantage, but because I'm just done with it. There's nothing else I can add or do besides going over it one more time.

That's the best, and really the only, reason to do so...

I mean they open the app a month in advance for a reason...obviously if you're rushing to submit your app on ANY day (first or weeks later), that's not a good thing. But if you have worked on it throughout the month and have gone over it several times, then why shouldn't someone submit it the first day? No, waiting a week will not make a difference, but I feel like people assume that the majority of people who submit their app the first or second day rush with it or don't put in as much effort, and there's just no way of knowing that.

It should just be emphasized to submit your app when it is READY, not what day it is (unless you're submitting it at like the end of September or something...then that's pretty bad).

You are exactly right. I realize that not everybody submitting on the first day is rushing to do so. If you are confident in what you have, by all means submit it.

I have to admit that I was a bit burned out after finals and did not start working on it at the beginning of May!

Ready to submit, but prewriting these secondaries is kinda brutal.

I'd be ready to submit Day 1, but my Spring grade transcripts have just been sent out today, so I need to wait for them to get here to input all my coursework from my postbacc. Hopefully they get here soon and I can submit by this weekend!

I thought I was ready this week, but my advisor wants me to rework my activities section. I should be done this weekend if she gives me the okay.

I only have my significant experiences section to go. Everything else is done. I should be submitted by tomorrow at the latest. Next step is my committee interview on the 11th and then waiting and watching for secondaries and for my letter submission.