Who's retaking with me in August?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cerbernator

Retired
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
???:(:(:(:(

Members don't see this ad.

most likely im there, but im a recovering underachiever, so im applying to ross and sgu so im not sure yet. my gpa isnt nearly close enough to get in anywhere nationally. so im hoping my 24R is good enough for them. but lemme tell you if you want somethin bad enough you will get it man, dont worry about it! you will become the doctor you want to be, i got faith in you

Cerb did you do so bad. Yes I am with you. But research is occupying my time that I will start preparing only a month before the MCAT--actually I will focus on the verbal. If I had a 10 in VR I woudn't be thinking of retaking. Got 26Q. Science scores were 10+, did I misbubble?

August will be my first time. But I will be there with you. 8 weeks left.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Cerb,

Don't sweat it, I'm sure you'll rock the August one. It seems like you really put in a lot of work, and it sounds like this was just a fluke.

I could have done much worse, so I shouldnt be terribly disappointed. The thing is, I was doing so much better on practice tests (like 4 points higher on VR). I got 9VR, 10BS, 10PS. Don't bash me for whining, its just a shock to drop as much as I did:(

Cerbernator said:
I could have done much worse, so I shouldnt be terribly disappointed. The thing is, I was doing so much better on practice tests (like 4 points higher on VR). I got 9VR, 10BS, 10PS. Don't bash me for whining, its just a shock to drop as much as I did:(

Cerb, I don't think I would retake with your score, its pretty decent. Hell, you beat me, I only got a 28Q when i took it.

Cerbernator said:
A 29 is a good score and will get you into some allopathic school. Stop your whinin. :laugh:

Cerbernator said:

The VR score betrayed you. I got the lowest VR score thinkable. I am thinking I misbubbled because the PS did a good job of blowing me.
PS 10 BS 11. But I write well :D. Got a Q. My practice scores ran from 28-33. August is definitely waiting for me.

sorry guys, I know my score is "ok" but like I said, I was scoring around 35 on the practice tests so I am a bit let down:(

Hey, dude-

If it's any consolation at all, I went from a 28 in August to a 35 this past April. I busted my ass (I know you did, too), but having had that foundation of solid studying really made it easier for me to focus on my weaknesses. I was extremely disappointed after August, but it only drove me to reach the potential that I knew I had (based on coursework and practice exams.)

Good luck, and I hope everyone that isn't happy with their score isn't discouraged, because I'm sure there are many more examples like me.

:)

Members don't see this ad :)
Cerbernator said:
sorry guys, I know my score is "ok" but like I said, I was scoring around 35 on the practice tests so I am a bit let down:(
Hey Cerb is your GPA in the gutter?

I think you should retake because you were scoring really high on practice exams. But then do you think it's worth delaying your apps?

I seriously don't know what happened on the VR, it was the one section I thought I would do really well on. I dont know, it is a shock to me.

This is so depressing. I dont even know where or how to begin studying again. ugh i could puke!

remembersega said:
So what is the minimum overall score you would retake? 30? 28?
Yes for everyone who received a 30 you should retake. This is a very awful score and YOU WILL NOT get accepted to an allopathic school with such crap like that. The ADCOMS will laugh in your face. Heck even Ross' ADCOM will throw your app way for insulting them like that. :rolleyes:

Cerb, you're right at Memphis' average. Actually, slightly above it by a few tenths, I think. Even if you don't retake, your MCAT isn't going to be a major hindrance in your application by any stretch of the imagination.

Cerb and the rest of the potential retakers,

If you are thinking of retaking, I recommend it wholeheartedly. Last August, I scored a 28R. Not a bad score, but I got a 6 in verbal, which is not so stellar (6V, 11 PS, 11BS). I studied hardcore for one month (about 6-8 hours every day) and read art history intently (in order to get used to reading passages that were convoluted and potentially pointless). Even after seven months, I still remembered a lot of basics from studying for the August exam (I studied for a solid three months using TPR). Thus, I could focus less on review and more on actual MCAT passages, especially verbal. The result? I almost doubled my verbal score (11), and ended up with a 35S. One thing you may not think of at this point, but by retaking, I feel you have a large advantage on first-timers since you've been through the high-stress, grueling mind-torture that is the MCAT. I was very nervous the first time through and I think it really had a negative effect on my exam score. The second time through, I was able to pace myself, calm down, and do the best I could do. You can do the same, absolutely. Just put some time in over the summer and enter the test thinking that you're going to give it your best shot and not stress, as you've been there before. Trust me, I realize how disheartening and ****ty it feels to not meet your expectations, that you think that you may not be able to do any better, ESPECIALLY in verbal, which is supposed to be impossible to substantially raise your score. F***ing bullsh*t. You guys have the potential and the heart, you just gotta put down the bottle, stop flipping through the classifieds for farm equipment sales positions and rock the MCAT come August. If I can do it, and I'm pretty f***ing stupid, then all of you kids can too. Sorry this sounds like a middle-school football coach speech, but I'm saying it from the heart. Take the MCAT out at the knees come August and don't look back :thumbup: . I'm out like a fat chick chasing an ice cream truck

AJ

farleyisgod said:
Hey, dude-

If it's any consolation at all, I went from a 28 in August to a 35 this past April. I busted my ass (I know you did, too), but having had that foundation of solid studying really made it easier for me to focus on my weaknesses. I was extremely disappointed after August, but it only drove me to reach the potential that I knew I had (based on coursework and practice exams.)

Good luck, and I hope everyone that isn't happy with their score isn't discouraged, because I'm sure there are many more examples like me.

:)

I agree. Although i know this isnt' much consolation because you do not want to study again. Studying the second time was so much easier. you are so much better prepared the second time. I got a 29P last august (was averaging 34s on practice exams) and got a 36Q this time.

I'm retaking as well. Even though I plan to go to grad school before med. school, I want to nail the mcat. I too, bombed the verbal section (it was my strength in the TPR course but the proctors were talking during it, not to mention it was a hard verbal section.)

Anyone have rec's for verbal practice? I am kind of sick of TPR, I feel their review course was a waste of time and money. I think I'll stick with EK from now on.

Think it's possible to improve my score two points in each science section sciences and 4 points in verbal by August?

Cerbernator said:

I don't advise retaking it if the remainder of your application is strong. This is a good score if your college GPA is above a 3.5

Luck said:
Yes for everyone who received a 30 you should retake. This is a very awful score and YOU WILL NOT get accepted to an allopathic school with such crap like that. The ADCOMS will laugh in your face. Heck even Ross' ADCOM will throw your app way for insulting them like that. :rolleyes:

What are you talking about???

I got a 30 and was accepted to Wash U., Johns Hopkins, U. of Washington, Columbia, Albert Einstein and several others. If you have a score of 30, and the rest of your application of strong, then you're fine. This is only one criterion.

Andrew_Doan said:

I got a 30 and was accepted to Wash U., Johns Hopkins, U. of Washington, Columbia, Albert Einstein and several others. If you have a score of 30, and the rest of your application of strong, then you're fine. This is only one criterion.

I think you missed the Rolling Eyes Emoticon in his post--sarcasm

Andrew_Doan said:
I got a 30 and was accepted...
Sarcasm.

Cerb...if you feel you need to retake, then by all means do, otherwise you'll regret not doing it. If you have only one thing to work on, then you should certainly be able to bring that score up. Just don't forget the other 2 sections (which I know you won't).

I'll be retaking in August, I am already formulating my plan of action. *sigh*

just reregistered for the august test...sigh (27N)

i could have done better...oh well...trying examkrackers this time

nope. not retaking and i got less than 30. but also cuz this was already my 2nd try.

best wishes to everyone attacking the beast in round 2!! if anything, i'm walking away with the satisfaction that i did try again.

Doc Martins said:
Completely disappointed with my score, thinking about taking April MCAT.. :(

If I retake it (which I have to if I am still going to apply to med school...that is what I have to figure out first...) it will be next April. So I might be there with you. :)

Andrew_Doan said:
Hmmm.. I did. Sorry to the person who was sarcastic. I was up late on call last night and am quickly doing my SDN rounds very tired. :sleep:

I agree then. ;)
:laugh: That is ok. I guess I should have made it more sarcastic. I find it ridiculous when someone asks if they should retake with a 30. As long as the scores are pretty much even, I wouldn't retake unless I had below a 27 just because I wouldn't want to study for that monster again. :thumbup:

I did pathetically horrible. 6V 8BS 8PS Writing: P

My problem I think was I took the Princeton review course, while trying to also do EK. Plus, I had a pretty busy semester. I am going to retake in August using ONLY EK this time.

I was going to apply Early Decision now it looks like regular is my best bet, so they'll see my second much imporved MCAT score. If that doesn't work out, grad school for two years then I'll try again.

Should I still apply Early Decision and hope that they will consider my second MCAT score?

Dr Trek 1 said:
I did pathetically horrible. 6V 8BS 8PS Writing: P

My problem I think was I took the Princeton review course, while trying to also do EK. Plus, I had a pretty busy semester. I am going to retake in August using ONLY EK this time.

I was going to apply Early Decision now it looks like regular is my best bet, so they'll see my second much imporved MCAT score. If that doesn't work out, grad school for two years then I'll try again.

Should I still apply Early Decision and hope that they will consider my second MCAT score?

Dude, I don't think you can apply EDP with an MCAT that low, even if you can, it would be a waste of time; sorry bud. In regards to them considering your second MCAT score for EDP: How can they? they won't even have your scores until mid October at the earliest, and most EDP programs have already accepted their EDP applicants and are well into interviewing people from the regular app cycle.

Some Advice:
1. Drop the EDP thing and get your application out to all other schools NOW
2. Indicate on AMCAS that you plan to retake this August
3. Commit the rest of your summer to the MCAT, stick to one prep course(I used TPR and was satisfied, plus you should be able to retake their course for a small fee because of their guarantee since you said you used them before), and use Audio Osmosis whenever you are in the car.
4. Rock the August MCAT
5. Attend Medical School :thumbup:

Thanks for the advice. Yeah I think I'm just going to apply regular decision. When is the due date to get out our AMCAS application for regular decision? I thought that it was Novemeber or December so I was hoping to get it in by the end of this month.

Thanks

There is not an actual due date, but each school has a deadline which is usually towrd the end of the year. However, for those of us applying with less than stellar stats (myself included), you really need to have it in by mid July at the very latest. The ealier the better. You may also want to consider DO. Nothing wrong with that as long as you look into it and agree with the philosophy, and are willing to put some effort into getting to know a DO.

medic,

Thanks for the input. I am intrigued by the DO philosophy, however there is not an osteopathic school near me and I don't want to travel far. If med school doesn't work out, I'll go to grad school for clinical psychology for a few years and then try again. If that doesn't work, law school. If that doesn't work, MPH degree. Eventually, I will get in.

I plan to get my AMCAS application in by the end of next week. My problem though is that I am taking a summer class, which ends in July and another one that ends in August. Can I submit these transcripts to AMCAS and will they submit them to the schools or will I have to mail them inddividually to all the schools?

Thanks

Dr Trek 1 said:
medic,

Thanks for the input. I am intrigued by the DO philosophy, however there is not an osteopathic school near me and I don't want to travel far. If med school doesn't work out, I'll go to grad school for clinical psychology for a few years and then try again. If that doesn't work, law school. If that doesn't work, MPH degree. Eventually, I will get in.

I plan to get my AMCAS application in by the end of next week. My problem though is that I am taking a summer class, which ends in July and another one that ends in August. Can I submit these transcripts to AMCAS and will they submit them to the schools or will I have to mail them inddividually to all the schools?

Thanks

No offense, but you are unwilling to travel, but willing to get 3 degrees in 3 different disciplines? It does not sound like you are very committed to medicine. I don't know you, and I don't mean to misjudge, but I just wanted to make that observation. We have to jump through these hoops to weed out the people who are unwilling to make sacrifices. People often don't realize it, but a lot of people who don't get in to med school CHOOSE not to get in, even if they don't realize it.

BTW, yes you can submit while still taking the classes. just list them on AMCAS and put them as Current/future.

medic,

I admire your observation, it is very true for some. However, I want to pursue psychiatry. I feel that a degree in clinical psychology would help me be a great psychiatrist. It's also only a two year masters program, so I won't be too old. A MPH would also help me practice medicine better. And what better degree than a JD to deal with all the medical legal hassals? I live in New York state, and am appling to many NYS schools, and there are many so my options aren't limited by my wish not to travel too far.

My question on the AMCAS is that the grade for these classes will then not be counted in the my GPAs if I am taking them currently. Also, what about the classes we take at college this fall? Will secondaries ask us to list them? Or will they never see them?

i am retaking them in august... and this time..i wont run out of time!!!!!! IM COMING BACK WITH A VENGENCE!!!!!!! I DIDNT WORK MY BUT OFF THE LAST TWO SEMESTER (3.917 and a 4.0) TO NOT GET INTO MED SCOOL!!!!!!!!!! :luck: :luck: :luck:

07 PS ------> 10PS
09 VR-------> 11 VR
09 BS-------> 11 BS

i want my current scores to change to that...im gonna do everything that i can to get that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :luck:

Dr Trek 1 said:
medic,

I admire your observation, it is very true for some. However, I want to pursue psychiatry. I feel that a degree in clinical psychology would help me be a great psychiatrist. It's also only a two year masters program, so I won't be too old. A MPH would also help me practice medicine better. And what better degree than a JD to deal with all the medical legal hassals? I live in New York state, and am appling to many NYS schools, and there are many so my options aren't limited by my wish not to travel too far.

My question on the AMCAS is that the grade for these classes will then not be counted in the my GPAs if I am taking them currently. Also, what about the classes we take at college this fall? Will secondaries ask us to list them? Or will they never see them?

Now that you clarified things, I have to say you seem to have things well thought out. Like I said, I was making a snap judgement, thats why I wanted to make sure you knew it was just that. Good Luck.

No, the current classes will not be calculated in your gpa as long as you designate them as current/future.

As far as future classes, it seemd to me like you should list them as future classes on the AMCAS. However, there is currently an unannswered question pending on the AMCAS help threar regarding this very issue. I am doing courses this fall to prep for MS1 myself, so I am waiting for a definitive answer. Some thought it better to just list tham on secondaries, while I thought it better to list them on AMCAS, but another person said that might make them want a transcript for it and hold up the app. Anyway, keep your eyes on that thread and PM me if you happen to hear a definitive answer. I'll do the same. GOOD LUCK!