About the ads

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why a person with a first degree is not eligible for another?

Discussion in 'Allopathic' started by seasurfer, Apr 19, 2005.

1. This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. seasurfer

seasurfer Member

SDN 7+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    Why a person with a first degree is not eligible for another?

I asked Harvard and MIT they say a person who has a first degree is not eligible for another, why is this so? what if this person is really interested in something new?
  2. dancinjenn

dancinjenn I'm ready for my close up

Medical Student
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    That sounds like a load of bull. I have two different bachelor's, one from 2000 and another from 2003. You'd think they would say yes just because they could get your money.
  3. seasurfer

seasurfer Member

SDN 7+ Year Member
    But that was what Harvard and MIT said? So far I have only asked these two.
  4. liverotcod

liverotcod Lieutenant Crunch

Medical Student
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    What kind of degree are you talking about?
  5. synapse lapse

synapse lapse tokyo robotic Bronze Donor

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 10+ Year Member
    Maybe Harvard and MIT won't let you go there after getting a degree at another institution. I know Harvard won't accept anyone with more than 60 hours to transfer, and you can't relinquish hours. This may be because they don't want people trying to get in after another degree and using 60 hours from their first toward a second, enabling them to get a Harvard degree with only 2 more years of work. I am speculating, but I am almost positive less prestigious institutions wil let you get a second degree there. Also, you can almost always go back and get a second degree from the school you went to originally, so if you are a Harvard alum you probably can get a second degree.
  6. FloridaMadame

FloridaMadame Senior Member

SDN 5+ Year Member
    I don't know what their reasoning is, but as a graduate of MIT, I know that it is true. I remember reading this little fact on their website when I was in the midst of applying to undergrad. I thought it was a little strange, but since it didn't apply to me, I never bothered to find out the reason. :confused:
  7. Megalofyia

Megalofyia 425 lbs and growing

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 10+ Year Member
    MIT only likes first time freshmen... or something to that effect.. I think you have picked the two schools that wont let you get a second degree.

I know that other schools will let you get second degrees.