Why are all podiatric pathologists MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

unitix

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Title says it all. Did some research and found this trend.

Members don't see this ad.

If you want to be a pathologist then don't go to podiatry school

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't want to be a pathologist, but would like to get my hands in it and I know I can with podiatry. Just wondering why all the top dog paths are all MD.

I don't want to be a pathologist, but would like to get my hands in it and I know I can with podiatry. Just wondering why all the top dog paths are all MD.

The vast amount of training likely has much to do with it... if i had a large problem with my foot id attempt to go to the most qualified person (no offense to the vast amount of podiatrists who are fantastic at their profession).

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

When podiatrists are allowed to go into a pathology residency, then there might be podiatrists as pathologists. Not sure if I understand the OP but this seems like common sense. There are also many D.O's that are pathologists. One of the best dermatopathologists in the lower extremity and who has done a lot of good for our profession is Dr. Bakotic. He got his DPM from Barry and then went on to med school to become a D.O. Then he did a residency in pathology. So I guess he is considered a podiatrist doing pathology.

Turns out most cardiac surgeons have MDs too.... But I thought pods dealt with vascular disease!!!!

The vast amount of training likely has much to do with it... if i had a large problem with my foot id attempt to go to the most qualified person (no offense to the vast amount of podiatrists who are fantastic at their profession).

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Did you just say our training does not qualify us to deal with a large problem of the foot, and then ask us not to be offended by that statement? I'm not going to fall into a DPM vs. MD arguement, but re-think your wording if that was not your intention.

Podiatrists are not pathologists, so I wouldn't want a pod doing path work, but that isn't what you said.

I'm not sure I even understand the basis of the question. To me, the answer is intuitive. To obtain an allopathic/osteopathic residency in a medical specialty, you must have a medical or osteopathic degree.

As MaxillofacialMN corrected stated, I don't think you'll be finding any cardiothoracic surgeons who are DPM's, no neurosurgeons who are DPM's, no ENT docs who are DPM's, no gastroenterologists who are DPM's, etc.

Pathology is a residency offered to MD/DO graduates. Similarly, I'm not aware of any MD/DO graduates who have obtained a podiatric surgical residency.

I appreciate all the responses. I suppose I was misinformed. I had assumed that there were career opps in pathology for podiatry, hence podiatric pathology. I don't know if you guys had to give me an extreme such as "there are no cardiothoracic surgeons who are DPMs", lol, I knew that.

Anyway I guess I made a wrong assumption.

I appreciate all the responses. I suppose I was misinformed. I had assumed that there were career opps in pathology for podiatry, hence podiatric pathology. I don't know if you guys had to give me an extreme such as "there are no cardiothoracic surgeons who are DPMs", lol, I knew that.

Anyway I guess I made a wrong assumption.

Sorry for being snarky. ;)