Why are PTs only willing to work for other (less educated) people?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DPTMAYBE

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I find that the majority of PT/Science major type people are know nothings when it comes to business. I had read some idiots post in another feed, that if a PTA got an MBA, they would still not be able to become a department head. LOL. WTH. If someone gets an MBA they will be able to head a hospital not a department. Why lie, most MBAs will just leave the health sector altogether to pursue more lucrative careers in another industry. Second, I first thought it was just the foreign BS PT's that had this entrepreneurship phobia, which is un-American. I first blamed it on their submissive nature and secondly, on the fact that they went straight into a 4 year program out of high school. Hence, have no business knowhow beyond a high school student. However, it is truly discouraging to see American PTs talking about how hard or impossible it is to open a practice. Let me tell you something, I live in Florida where there are about 15 home health agencies per square mile. Everyone that I have worked for was making millions, most just offering to send people with no certifications (home health aides) in to babysit and then they charge insurance. The home health agencies also send in PTs and PTAs as well as nurses. The funny thing is, I have never met one health care professional who owned one. All of these PTs and BSNs were working for, in many cases, a high school drop out. The owners of these businesses are often stupid and opened the businesses on loans or with minimal capital. They are making ridiculous amounts of money off peoples service that went to school 7-8 years longer than they did. This is why I am a business major. There is a key element missing in health care professionals, business backbone. Every PT I talk to, "O, it will be to much paperwork, or too much liability". They sit there submissively taking what the owner decides to ration for them, when they are the ones that generated the money in the first place. Its called an LLC people, a limited liability corporation. The complete lack of business knowhow and lack of drive amongst these students is pathetic. There needs to be at least a year of additional required business courses offered to all health majors. It will cut out these uneducated middlemen who are making a killing and driving cost up and productivity down. I want to be a PT, just not like the ones I am meeting. I want to help people and run my own business and it can succeed and it is not hard. Get some business education and let me know whats up!! Business Major All The Way To PT

Members don't see this ad.

I find that the majority of PT/Science major type people are know nothings when it comes to business. I had read some idiots post in another feed, that if a PTA got an MBA, they would still not be able to become a department head. LOL. WTH. If someone gets an MBA they will be able to head a hospital not a department. Why lie, most MBAs will just leave the health sector altogether to pursue more lucrative careers in another industry. Second, I first thought it was just the foreign BS PT's that had this entrepreneurship phobia, which is un-American. I first blamed it on their submissive nature and secondly, on the fact that they went straight into a 4 year program out of high school. Hence, have no business knowhow beyond a high school student. However, it is truly discouraging to see American PTs talking about how hard or impossible it is to open a practice. Let me tell you something, I live in Florida where there are about 15 home health agencies per square mile. Everyone that I have worked for was making millions, most just offering to send people with no certifications (home health aides) in to babysit and then they charge insurance. The home health agencies also send in PTs and PTAs as well as nurses. The funny thing is, I have never met one health care professional who owned one. All of these PTs and BSNs were working for, in many cases, a high school drop out. The owners of these businesses are often stupid and opened the businesses on loans or with minimal capital. They are making ridiculous amounts of money off peoples service that went to school 7-8 years longer than they did. This is why I am a business major. There is a key element missing in health care professionals, business backbone. Every PT I talk to, "O, it will be to much paperwork, or too much liability". They sit there submissively taking what the owner decides to ration for them, when they are the ones that generated the money in the first place. Its called an LLC people, a limited liability corporation. The complete lack of business knowhow and lack of drive amongst these students is pathetic. There needs to be at least a year of additional required business courses offered to all health majors. It will cut out these uneducated middlemen who are making a killing and driving cost up and productivity down. I want to be a PT, just not like the ones I am meeting. I want to help people and run my own business and it can succeed and it is not hard. Get some business education and let me know whats up!! Business Major All The Way To PT

Well said.

Feel better now?

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe because many people go into health care because they genuinely like helping others?? Money isn't evertything...if it's important for you, then go for it.

agree with Jess. If you are looking to make a lot of money, PT isn't your thing. You might look into becoming a cardiologist, anesthesiologist, etc.

There needs to be at least a year of additional required business courses offered to all health majors. It will cut out these uneducated middlemen who are making a killing and driving cost up and productivity down.

A year of business education, in addition to PT school, is a far reach, and would frankly keep a lot of people away. If PTs do want to own their own clinics there are plenty of opportunities for them to obtain that background elsewhere. Many have, and many of them are running very successful clinics and businesses. They also populate the highest salary tier among PTs. Not everyone has an interest in this though. That is the great thing about PT; we can CHOOSE what area we are interested in. If that's your niche then go for it, but there are plenty of us that have zero desire to do so for a whole myriad of reasons.

And to be honest, the comments about "uneducated middlemen" sounds a bit conflicted. They may not have the level of traditional education that a DPT does, but as you said, they're making a lot of money. Keep in mind that not all education comes in a classroom, and these people you speak of are clearly doing quite well for themselves.