Why are you going into PT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jessjlstar

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am struggling to decide between a career in PT and OT. I like the idea of sports medicine, as I was often in PT for volleyball injuries. However, I feel I may identify more with the ideals of OT.

I just wanted to know what made YOU choose PT? I want to have others weigh in on the question so that I can make an informed decision.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there! I'll chime in and let you know why I chose PT.
For me, the decision was pretty simple and was based off the fact that I a) love fitness and exercise and b) have had years of experience as an aide in numerous different settings.
I'm all about healing the human body in a holistic way, so PT was very appealing to me. I don't believe in solving aches and pains by taking medications or having unnecessary surgery. Most things can be treated through calisthenics programs, without the help of medications. So that's why I chose PT over physician, surgeon, nurse, etc :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you both for your responses! What aspects of OT caused you dislike it?

Thank you both for your responses! What aspects of OT caused you dislike it?

dislike is a strong word, disinterested is a better choice. Personally I like to problem solve, analyze, and prescribe. All of which a PT has more of an active role when working on gross motor balance and motions. I also originally wanted to go into biomechanical engineering(ended up in kinesiology/neuro) to design prosthetics for athletes. I find OT to focus on holistic daily living tasks and not as much on rough cut diagnosis/prognosis. Also OT does alot of bathroom transfers/shower transfers, something that I have little interest in outside of when necessary.

I agree with the above poster that medications are often over prescribed, and holistic options are often overlooked. But I disagree when the OP says there is little place for them and should be avoided for holistic alternatives. Medications should be used in a moderate balance, to completely dismiss them is fool hearty.

Hope my experiences help you find an answer! :D

I have yet to settle on PT, and this is super cheesy, but I'm drawn to the idea of supporting tangible (measurable!) improvements in people's quality of life, in a way that is empowering & constructive, rather than stigmatizing. Am good at small group and one-on-one instruction/facilitation. Generally dig people & like to be helpful in practical ways that still permit getting to know them, a bit.

Like others have said, the body in movement, in healing, is a wonder. Physical fitness has meant quite a lot to me personally. Would love the chance to support activity and mobility for others.

The most appealing is getting to use inductive and deductive reasoning on a daily basis; to research and apply best practices; to learn, all the time.

Even compliance issues -- reaching the patient in his/her own language, uncovering & addressing resistance to treatment, modifying treatment to fit personality -- sound like good challenge.

So much about the lifestyle. Autonomy (both legally & in terms of just working day to day -- having a good amount of time where no one's looking over your shoulder), variety of daily work, flexibility of working arrangements, portability of licensure, reasonable expectation of security.

My impression is that you can work part-time and still survive, if you're single and not bothered about being wealthy, or if you want a family. If you're driven to make bank you can do that too. Maybe open a little clinic, someday. (I just want to be able to support myself, travel now and then, and enjoy what I do every day; the variety and flexibility are a bigger draw for me.)

edit: heh, I say 'make bank', maybe not I guess compared to what most of the wider forum can expect, but I wouldn't think it very wrong to suggest that PTs can have comfortable lifestyles.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes very well said. Articulated my thoughts perfectly

Ditto what everyone else has said, well said sockit! I've been struggling to succinctly and effectively explain to people what draws me to PT but you've done a great job. Good luck to you, it seems like you'd make a great therapist if you choose to go down that path.

The most appealing is getting to use inductive and deductive reasoning on a daily basis; to research and apply best practices; to learn, all the time.

Even compliance issues -- reaching the patient in his/her own language, uncovering & addressing resistance to treatment, modifying treatment to fit personality -- sound like good challenge.

Great answer, sockit. When I spoke with PT programs, they would almost always ask the question of this thread. We all want to help people, but you can help people working at Target or Starbucks. Customer service is helping people. It's a trite answer that interviewers have heard a million times.

I would always tell programs that I wanted to use my scientific knowledge to achieve optimal results. I wanted a career that rewarded knowledge. Personal training does not reward knowledge, but rather personality and sales skills. The quality of a physical therapist is directly related to his skills and knowledge, which he can always increase.

Good clinicians also have to have good communication skills, need to ensure patient safety, need to rationalize their treatment to be compensated, and understand patient psychology.

OTs spend a lot of time modifying the environment and making adaptations. It just doesn't appeal to me.

Kevin

Well for me, I wanted to become a PT due to the fact that I had a traumatic brain injury 3 years ago in which I was involved in an atv vs tree. I stayed approximately 8 weeks in the hospital that including OT and PT since I lost all function of my right side. I couldn't walk or move my right hand even a centimeter. Long story short, after 6 months of pt/ot rehab, 3 long years of fitness and eating extremely healthy, and recently finishing my BA. I decided to do what I actually went through to gain my physical functions back so I can go on to tell my story to my fellow patients and others. The nuero folks said I was suppose to be a vegetable or dead, and have cognitive impairments that may hurt my academics... One of my neurologist even asked me to be a public speaker for him. Never give up, motivation gets you to unimaginable places.

PT is all about maximizing the capabilities of the human body. As we live our lives, the ability to do so in some people diminishes, but our capabilities are always there. PTs excel at restoring function through sound scientific practice. The ability to personally affect the lives of others through my passion of health, fitness, and overall wellness is what drives me towards professional excellence.

It's a never-ending journey of learning too. The field of PT is rapidly evolving and it is looking for people like us to further it down the path. PT has come so far and is a respected career. I can't even imagine what the outsiders view Physical Therapists at in 15-20 years. But I'll be there to witness it!

Also, I just love how VERSATILE the profession is. I can practice PT pretty much anywhere. I do not need to be in a doctor's office. If I want to practice out in the street I could.

I could go on and on, but I am so glad I found physical therapy and I can't wait to make a huge impact on the field in the future...