why can these mds work in the USA....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

arye

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey , i just looked around the internet und foudnd this webside:

http://www.bcm.edu/plasticsurgery/physicians/heller.cfm

it is the webside of the plasticsurgery devision at baylors. can anyome tell me why some of the mds can work in plastics although they have done all their education abroad ? no US medical school , no US residency !

Members don't see this ad.

Its not like he graduated from some med school in the wastelands of Siberia. Israeli med schools are very good.

Its not like he graduated from some med school in the wastelands of Siberia. Israeli med schools are very good.

i am sure they are. but still u would need to go throgu ecfmg and an US residency. this is the normal pathway. the other surgeon graudated from turkey. .. . .

Members don't see this ad :)
The ability to work in the US is NOT dependent on completing a US residency.
Both individuals you speak of came to the US to do additional PRS training after completing their primary qualifications abroad.

While it is true that many programs prefer an ACS BE/BC surgeon (which requires completion of a US/Canadian general surgery residency), they are not required to take one who is or who has done their residency in the US. You will note that neither of these surgeons is Board Certified by any American institutions. Baylor has a long history of taking foreign trained surgeons into their PRS program, especially when Shenaq was there.

For most people, not being BE/BC is a problem because of the issue with getting on insurance plans, hospital credentials and patient preference. However, in an academic institution, it is not as much of a problem especially if you have a large cash paying population (who don't use insurance).

As long as you are eligible for a state medical license, and have completed training acceptable to your employer, there is not a problem training outside of the US if you are not required to be BE/BC. It is quite common actually to come to the states for fellowship, after having trained elsewhere, and stay on...I see it quite a bit in anesthesiology, for example.

:hungover:
I am interested to know how did they get a license in the US and a DEA number without being ecfmg certified.

:hungover:
I am interested to know how did they get a license in the US and a DEA number without being ecfmg certified.

Who says they aren't ECFMG certified?

All you have to do to be ECFMG certified is to pass the USMLEs, go to a FAIMER recognized school, etc. It is likely they had to do so to get into the US fellowships/PRS residency since ACGME training programs require it.

I would presume they are certified since a requirement to take Step 3 is to be certified and I would further presume they have full and unrestricted licenses to practice medicine.

Who says they aren't ECFMG certified?

All you have to do to be ECFMG certified is to pass the USMLEs, go to a FAIMER recognized school, etc. It is likely they had to do so to get into the US fellowships/PRS residency since ACGME training programs require it.

I would presume they are certified since a requirement to take Step 3 is to be certified and I would further presume they have full and unrestricted licenses to practice medicine.

Another possibility is that they have restricted 'academic' licenses limiting them to practice within the confines of the university program that sponsors them. I don't know whether TX issues such licenses, many other states do.

Another possibility is that they have restricted 'academic' licenses limiting them to practice within the confines of the university program that sponsors them. I don't know whether TX issues such licenses, many other states do.

True...that could be the case as well. Thanks for pointing it out.