Why cant schools inform accepted students before Oct 15th?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gublagu3

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there a reason what AMCAS has a date before which medical schools cant inform applicants about acceptances. The way I see it, schools should be able to inform students whenever they want. In turn, I wonder why AMCAS has this policy?

Members don't see this ad.

It's considered bad luck to be accepted into medical school before Canadian Thanksgiving.

Reactions: 16 users
Probably so people don't see seats filling up too fast and discourage people from applying $$$$

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
An application season involves ~50,000 applicants, most of them very needy, corresponding with 141 medical schools via AMCAS and a multitude of other software platforms. Part of the AAMC traffic rules simply reflect the need for some predictability as this process evolves each year.

It is also possible that they are trying to prevent the season from creeping earlier, which would even further disadvantage later applicants.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm just guessing here, but I would think that removing the October 15th stipulation would make the June to September months crazier than they already are and create a logistical nightmare with people constantly withdrawing from interviews in the early months, leaving schools scrambling to fill them and offering a bunch of people interviews less than a week in advance.

Because they've gotta give at least SOME time for your anxiety kick in. (I am counting down the days myself - T minus four!)

Because the time before that is "reserved" for early decision acceptances, which officially end on October 15th. After that they are free to focus on "regular" candidates

Reactions: 1 users
Is it true that Miami Miller sends out their acceptances starting Oct. 14th?