why dentistry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tennisboy93

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello...I see that not many pre-dental students out there seem to be noticing this service, so i will try to keep the ball rolling...

It always seems like at my school, and as far as people around me, NO ONE finds teeth interesting, and no dentists I talk to can artculate to me WHY they went into it. One just said "it seemed like something to do". *sigh* i have had SO MUCH CRAP go on with my teeth, that I TOTALLY know what it is like on the other side of the chair, and that is why i want to be a dentist. Also, I just find the look and art of teeth and smiling appealing...anyone else? I am second year pre-dent, and I want to go to U of I at C.
smile.gif

------------------
"A setback is only a set-up for a comeback."

Members don't see this ad.

Why UI-Chicago?

Tim of New York City.
(expanding my horizons to other health professions)

Why UI-Chicago? Well, two reasons...1) I love Chicago.
smile.gif
But more importantly 2) I am a veteran of the Army (I was in for just 2 years), and I get what is called a Illinois Veteran's Scholarship...I used the GI BIll to pay for undergrad, and I can use the IVS to pay for ALL of dental school (doesn't have to be dental...can be med, law, any grad) IF I go somewhere PUBLIC in Illinois...it is either UIC or Southern Illinois. UIC is city...SIU is country. Moo.
smile.gif

Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck then! Is there a service requirement after graduating from dental school?

Chicago's a great town. Not better than New York, but better than Philly I think.

Tim of New York City.
wink.gif

Then what do you say to people who want to be OB/GYNs or Urologists or Opthalmologists or anything else that centers around a specific organ/body part?
smile.gif
As for proctology, they're pretty high up in the medical hierarchy. They're colo-rectal surgeons who need massive connections to get where they are, though that still doesn't keep them from being ridiculed.
wink.gif

Tim of New York City.

Turtle: No there is no service requirement after dental school. You see, Illinois and Texas are (to my recollection) two and the ONLY two states that offer a separate program other than the Federal government's GI Bill. You see, not only do I get the GI Bill ($26,500, which more than pays for my undergrad), but I get a 4 year scholarship to ANY public school in Illinois...I could have used it at the same time as the GI Bill, put that would be stupid, cause I would have blown all my GI $$$...instead, I am using it to go to grad school. It pays application fees, tuition, equipment, and all the other crap fees, for four year...
smile.gif

Good deal huh...and no commitment...the point of the state program is to keep kids in Illinois.

Gringo: Thanks! But I do know that I have 10 years to use my Gi benefits, and also the same 10 years to activate my IVS (Illinois Vets Scholarship). I am WELL aware of the time constraints, but at my present rate, I will have got all of my schooling COMPLETE within 6 years from my discharge.
smile.gif
Everything is fine and dandy, and I only had to serve 2 years (as a pharm. tech!)
smile.gif

because i enjoy playing with peoples' toes.