Why did you apply to osteopathic medical schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Why did you apply to osteopathic medical schools?

• I agree with the osteopathic principles and OMM. (for the additional tools)

Votes: 31 44.3%
  • I applied to osteopathic medical schools as a back up to allopathic schools.

Votes: 17 24.3%
  • More nontraditional applicants. Learning with a diverse group will enhance my education.

Votes: 16 22.9%
  • The MD/DO difference didn't matter. I looked at curriculum, location, etc.

Votes: 42 60.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
260+ on your USMLE? :smuggrin: The chance for MDs is extremely low, too. Not as low, but still quite low.

I was in the 240-250 range.

I have an M.S. in medical physics and worked as a treatment planning physicist in rad onc during grad school. I'm working on an RSNA student grant right now and have 4 publications and 3 abstracts, mostly 2nd author though.

It's a tough field to get into. But, I'm pretty relentless. :D

Members don't see this ad.

Well, I originally thought, like many of you, that there was some sort of "DO difference," that I'd get some sort of better, more complete, or "holistic" education. Part of me doubted that from the start, thinking that there wasn't much difference at all and that any difference was artificially accentuated, but at the end I fell hard for the propaganda. Now, half way into my 2nd year, I can tell you that my experience of osteopathic medical education thus far has been different than my initial expectation might have informed me and that the part of me that doubted from the get go, was more right on the mark. My experiences indicate that the differences are minor at best and each moment that passes, the alleged differences seem to become less evident. Shocking, I know.

What I have learned is that medical education/medical school is pretty consistent across degree/designation being granted (MD or DO) and from school to school, more than the uninitiated would first suspect. The differences seem to be more dependent on individual school emphasis and curriculum than on some sort of "osteopathic focus." The basic sciences are pretty much the same across the schools. You get the exact same material and in some instances, delivered by exactly the same professors, as you would in any allopathic medical school. It's the same anatomy, the same pharmacology, the same pathology, and the same physiology, taught to the students no matter where you go. There is perhaps some forced emphasis on the so-called "osteopathic principles and practices" on occasion along with an attempt to reinforce a supposed primary care focus, but in large part, it is just annoying, superficial, and doesn't amount to any more than lip service. It is like occasionally putting different different rims on a Chevy and calling it a Benz.

I mean, of course, the major stand out is OMM, taught in osteopathic medical school as a mandatory subject, but really, I am not overwhelmed by it's practice in any way, or even by it's alleged value. You get a few hours a week of OMM lab and lecture, and so far it's been utterly forgettable, although admittedly, I have picked up a few useful techniques here and there. The majority of the information I have retained from OMM lab has been mostly concepts and techniques that are common to most medical schools. In some cases, however, I have seriously questioned the so-called scientific principles that underpin the OMM techniques being taught (if you don't believe me, just take a look at the green OMM handbook; highly dubious). The scientist in me scoffs at some of the explanations. Even so, I suspend my doubt, anyway, and give it a try. In some cases, I am pleasantly surprised and think it useful. In most cases, however, I am just going through the motions. Do I think it's worth attending an osteopathic medical school just for the "extra" education in OMM? I do not. However, that's just my opinion, based on my experiences. Others may think differently and I respect that.

Also, while I am on the subject, OMM isn't taught on top of the standard curriculum. I mean, in medical school, time is tight. That being the case, you are going to have to take time away from some subjects to feed any "extra" ones and as such, you are naturally going to be subtracting from subjects like physiology, pathology, and/or pharmacology, in order to have OMM lab. I don't think of this as a good trade off, although, it doesn't seem to cause any harm as of yet, so whatever to that. It's not a big deal.

Yet, to be fair and accurate, I want to say that there are differences that can be experienced, it just might not be what you think they are. At least in my experience, the most notable difference is from the curriculum and the way that the basic science material is being delivered, what is being emphasized and taught. No, it's not more "holistic," whatever that means, but it does provide a more clinical perspective and even primary care spin on basic science material taught in the first two years. What I mean by that is that the basic science material is approached in many, but not all cases, from a utilitarian/clinical manner. This is good in the sense that it reinforces and strengthens one's clinical acumen, but it doesn't seem to do wonders for my basic science background.

Last year I took an NBME comprehensive basic science assessment and I did really well on the clinical material, or subjects, but sucked pretty hard on many of the hard-core basic sciences. I feel like less of a medical scientist than a straight clinician, but that's what my education seemed to have emphasized. I have no doubt whatsoever that I am going to be strong clinically right out of the starting blocks due to the training I've received thus far, but I worry sometimes that my hardcore science knowledge isn't as strong as I'd like it to be. Perhaps not as critical for a front line clinician, but what if I want to be more of a medical scientist, or specialize in a discipline that is more rooted in, or favors, a stronger basic medical science foundation rather than a clinical one (unlikely, but I'm just wondering out loud and in general here)? I mean it won't be that big of a deal, I think, since I hold the belief that most of the medical knowledge you need is learned in the field, but more of what I'm getting at is that I think perhaps medical students trained a bit differently than myself may have an easier time with these more hardcore basic elements, such as pathophysiology, or the basic science elements, roots of disorders and presenting symptomatology, at least at the beginning of clinical training. Clearly, experience trumps all, equalizes minor differences, as it should. I should also note that I'm not saying this applies even outside of my own experiences, either, and that I think you'll receive a decent education no matter where you choose to attend.

Anyway, take what you will from my ramblings. My general experience is that all this "holistic" hoopla and "DO difference" is bunk. Mandatory OMM is pretty much the only notable and common difference you'll see. This is not to say that there won't be curricular difference, or individual differences in emphasis, but I think they tend to be more individual than uniquely "osteopathic." In conclusion, I'd say that osteopathic and allopathic medical education are more similar than different and that the further along I go, the more similar they seem.

Last edited:
i used to be worried that being a DO would somehow hinder me from finding a career as a successful physician, but it comforts me to know that the difference between being an MD and DO is negligible...
That may be true or not so true depending on the residency you want. I know, I know, on the DO forum, DO = MD. Take a few minutes and read some through some of the residency forums on the main page. It won't take you long to find threads about DOs who can't even get interviews because of their degree.

If you have a major hard on for OMM, go for it. Otherwise, don't delude yourself: you are limiting your residency options by choosing DO. (Please don't respond that DOs have their own residencies to which MDs cannot apply. None of my classmates are lamenting their inability to apply for osteo residencies.)

Members don't see this ad :)
Good post by spicedmanna.
Uncommon insight for a preclinical medical student.

I actually considered applying to DO schools back in the day, because I was interested in either fp or internal medicine, but I was a little worried that some of the DO schools didn't really have closely affiliated hospitals and I felt like the clinical training for med students might be lacking. I also didn't think I bought into the OMM, which seemed unscientific to me. I also didn't really know any DO physicians and wasn't sure I could get DO interviews, not having a DO LOR and having a work background in a basic science lab. I also was concerned about the high tuition at DO schools.

I think that spicedmanna is probably right in many of his/her main concentions:
1) A more clinical orientation to basic science teaching @a lot of the DO schools, since they are trying to emphasize clinical medicine, vs. research/basic science stuff.
2) I'm not sure that OMM has a strong scientific basis. Though I'm open to thinking that it could work in certain situations, it kind of sounds like chiropractic in a lot of ways and that kind of scares me...
3) Not as much difference between DO and MD schools and curricula as some of the schools would like you to believe.

I think if someone is unsure about whether DO or MD is better for you, and/or you have certain geographic restrictions about where you want to go to school, just go ahead and apply to both types of schools, see where you can get interviews, and then see what you think of the schools.

p.s. As far as comments made on here in which applicants state that every medical school where they interviewed claimed to be "noncompetitive" - don't believe everything people tell you...LOL!

I do think that some DO schools, particularly the more traditional ones, could be a good route for somebody definitely wanting to go the primary care route. There are also some MD schools that have more of a primary care focus as well (i.e. some state medical schools). I do think that the focus (primary care, vs. very basic science and specialty focused like my medical school) of a school can affect the education of the students, and that if one is unsure of future career direction (i.e. really unsure if you want to do primary care, vs. even radiology, rad. onc. etc.) then it would be good to choose a school which won't try to twist your arm too much to do any particular thing. Some MD schools (i.e Johns Hopkins, WashU) have a really, really strong basic and bench research focus, while some other schools (some DO schools, some of the state U. MD schools) have a strong bias toward primary care. I would recommend to look for the "in between" type schools if you have no clue what type of doc you want to be. Just my 2 cents.

Reasons I applied osteopathic? Honestly?

I decided on going into the medical field late in college, at least compared to a lot of other premeds out there. I'm an engineering major, which #1 isn't normally condusive to high GPAs, and #2 when I was "just" an engineering major and not premed, I didn't feel the need to grab the A in every class. As long as I kept above a 3.0 I was happy, no reason to wreck my life over scoring higher.

Eventually I did manage to pull my GPA up by finding better ways to study, and I put myself within range of medical schools (~3.4 instead of 3.1) and wanted to do it. Med school was always a consideration in the back of mind, but more of a dream because I didn't think I really had what it took and sitting as a senior in high school or a freshman in college I thought to myself "christ, how could I consign myself to an EXTRA four years of school after college and residency on top of it?"

I did decide though to go for it. I figured if I didn't at least try it would be something I'd regret for years to come. Originally I was going to hold of on applying until next session (meaning a one year gap after college) so that I could pull up my GPA, get some extra clinical experience etc... During the summer however as my practice MCAT scores were looking ood I figured it was worth the crapshoot to see if I could avoid having a gap year.

So back to the original question, what made me apply osteopathic? I want to be a doctor. I don't have a boner for the "wholistic" thing, I don't think that I'll be "seeing the whole patient" in osteopathic instead of allo. The truth is, I believed (correctly as it turns out) that I could get into a DO school.

Do I think that I could get myself into some decent MD schools eventually? Yes I do. I could spend an extra year or two bringing up my GPA, maybe take some worthless post-bac classes to get those extra .01 gpa points. Maybe I could enroll in a useless MPH or SMP program to show what a good student I've become. Maybe I could spend some more hours feeding the homeless.

What opportunities have DO schools opened for me? A few less hoops to jump through on the premed track. Maybe I won't stand out when whipping out my johnson at a bar full of other premeds, and yeah I still have to explain to some of the people I know that I am going to "real medical school", but I'm still going to get the opportunity learn medicine, practice medicine, become a doctor, and most importantly I'm happy. The DOs that I met/shadowed were great and certainly physicians in every sense of the word, and I get the impression that DO students are maybe slightly less anal/assholish than preallo.

Maybe I'm not the poster child for the ideal premed to put on the cover of the CIB, but I certainly appreciate teh opportunity that osteopathic medicine is providing me.

Edit: Oh and let me just add that I'm not saying by any means that I would automatically go to any american MD school if accepted there. Despite how I might come off sounding, MD is NOT my ultimate objective. Just want to be a doc.

Last edited: