Why did you choose not to become a Dental Hygiesnt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zane Rey

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm curious on why you want to be a Dentist instead of a Hygienist.

I'm still confused about the path I should choose.

If you go for Hygiene, you have a smaller college debt to pay back and you'll be making 50-80k and a lot less stress and schooling.

Why did you choose to become a Dentist over a Hygienist.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I'd rather own the practice and be my own boss

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If we are comparing purely dentistry to hygiene, I'd say greater autonomy, greater work variety, and greater compensation.

I also know I would be doing myself a disservice if I didn't use my talents to their full extent.

Same as above posters, but also hygiene is a super competitive field here. You take 1-2 years of pre-reqs, then apply and are usually on the waitlist from 1-3 years, and then start hygiene school.

By that time, you are only a few years short of being a dentist, so why not go for it?

Reactions: 1 user
Because doing prophys all day would make me scream.

Kidding. Sorta.

Same as everyone & I have fallen in love with a specialty, so rdh wouldn't satisfy my heart's desire

Hygiene is great for amount of schooling and job placement/pay, but you have to be okay with doing lots of the same tasks everyday. You mostly do prophys and x-rays, with the occasional scaling/root planing. (Whereas dentists, you have a little bit more of a variety of services you do in a day - extractions, fillings, root canals, basic ortho, etc.) and that whole salary/being your own boss thing is pretty cool.

Last edited:
Autonomy..

I like to the be the boss, give the orders, and honestly prefer delegation and management. Sure you have to worry about everything, but once you get your practice running like a well oiled machine, its practically passive income (sorta..)

Dentistry is already boring. I can't imagine how much more boring it would be as a hygienist. The lack of evidence in patient management/procedures (seriously a stinking perio probe?! I mean, really?!) and strong consensus on straightforward operative technique is already frustrating in dentistry (think 100 dentists with 50 different ways of doing one thing) to someone who's used to the opposite. As a dentist, at least you make a good pay, have some control over your work life, can expect and reap somewhat exciting advancements in dentistry (you can't expect much going on in hygiene field...just cleaning...), and what not. It's too easy to become and be a hygienist. Again life is boring without a challenge. As a dentist, at least you get to think when managing patients. Without this, you're just doing technical stuff. Hygiene is always technical. No patient management. No problem solving. No thinking. Just physical labor sprinkled with giving basic oral hygiene instruction. One way you know that you chose the right profession is if you can bash the other fields based on personal preference.

Last edited:
I'm a man.

Reactions: 7 users
Doing it over again, I would have gone to school for hygiene(its only two years), and continue working towards a degree so that i can apply to dental school. The extra income and the early insight/hands on experience would have been nice.

Reactions: 2 users
"Because it's there"
-George Mallory, as a response to "Why do you want to climb Mount Everest?"

Why settle for the hill in your backyard?

Members don't see this ad :)
Let's all be honest. The answer is money.

To an extent, yes. The money is important, but you have to draw the line somewhere.

For example, I could work Fridays as a dentist and make more money. But do I want to do that? Heck no! :p

to be honest i didnt know what hygienists were until i shadowed my dentist
by then i was already on the track to applying to dental school
i just thought it was only dental assistants and the dentist
the dental assistants from the offices that i shadowed didnt have a license or schooling
they just had on the job training/volunteering until they were good enough to be hired
i guess my gp is more hands on he doesnt let the rdh do basic cleaning/check ups, he does all of them

I hope I can find male hygienists to hire. Seriously.

Reactions: 4 users
^^ I know 1 guy who graduated from hygiene school... hasn't found a job yet after 9 months prolly bcuz he is male. you can hire him in 4 years!

Because I'm a woman; and because when I tell people I'm starting dental school in the fall and they reply, "You mean dental hygiene?", I get to say, "No, I'm going to be a dentist. You know, like the guy that comes in and says everything looks good? Yeah, that's me, only not a guy." *Jaw drops* Girls can be dentists too? Shut up, no way.

Reactions: 5 users
Because I'm a woman; and because when I tell people I'm starting dental school in the fall and they reply, "You mean dental hygiene?", I get to say, "No, I'm going to be a dentist. You know, like the guy that comes in and says everything looks good? Yeah, that's me, only not a guy." *Jaw drops* Girls can be dentists too? Shut up, no way.

It does get irritating having every single person ask "you mean hygiene?", doesn't it? Not that I have any issues with hygiene; I just hate that it is assumed.

Just today, during a Habitat for Humanity board meeting: "Where are you doing next fall?" "Dental school." "Oh, I thought you already went to college! Will that be some sort of a co-op program for a year or two?" "No, it's another 4 years after undergrad... So a total of 8, just like medical school."

:smack:

:biglove:~*~*~*the perks of being a female*~*~*~:biglove:

Actually I'm a male and two separate people have assumed dental school means hygiene school when I tell them I'll be attending dental school in the fall. I've also had people think I clean teeth when I tell them that I'm also a dental assistant; "so you clean teeth right?". And no, I never took the DCAT (been asked that too).

MsSPxCl.jpg

edit: ^^^ i'm acquainted with a male hygienist...he's applying to dental school this year

Reactions: 3 users
Actually I'm a male and two separate people have assumed dental school means hygiene school when I tell them I'll be attending dental school in the fall. I've also had people think I clean teeth when I tell them that I'm also a dental assistant; "so you clean teeth right?". And no, I never took the DCAT (been asked that too).

Haha oh my goodness, the DCAT! I get that one all the time too! That or people just being shocked that dental schools have any sort of exam like the DAT.

If you're capable of being a dentist why would you settle to be a dental hygienist?
Not dissing hygienists but it's true. It's just like asking why would you be an MD when you can be a PA?

Hi everyone,

If you go for Hygiene, you have a smaller college debt to pay back and you'll be making 50-80k and a lot less stress and schooling.

Thanks

A lot of the same reasons people choose MD over PA. Autonomy (ability to deliver more to pts), Prestige, Money (private practice yo).

Last edited:
I became a hygienist due to my ignorance and lack of English. When I registered myself in college I thought becoming a dental hygienist was like a dentist: I got accepted right away in the program and I then I realized was different. Well, I finished program and worked part time while fulfilling prerequisites for dental school. I am very happy I did hygiene first because it helped me save good money for dental school =)

I became a hygienist due to my ignorance and lack of English. When I registered myself in college I thought becoming a dental hygienist was like a dentist: I got accepted right away in the program and I then I realized was different. Well, I finished program and worked part time while fulfilling prerequisites for dental school. I am very happy I did hygiene first because it helped me save good money for dental school =)
Jaw_drop.gif

So far, the two male hygienists that I've met are very cool guys. They're not petty about gender stereotypes and don't have an inferiority complex so they're super chill.

So far, the two male hygienists that I've met are very cool guys. They're not petty about gender stereotypes and don't have an inferiority complex so they're super chill.

That's what I'm searching for!

Having only women work with me would be exhausting. I've always gotten along better with males...

That's what I'm searching for!

Having only women work with me would be exhausting. I've always gotten along better with males...

I work the swing shift. So during the day with a bunch of female nurses and almost all male nurses at night. During the day it's always A lot of gossiping and more issues. It get's old fast and just causes more conflict. She said she said drama. There is literally none of that will the male nurses. Makes work easier.

Wait so.... If I go for Hygiene and I'm a guy, no one will hire me?

The same four reasons everybody does: chicks, money, power, and chicks.

OMG that happens to me too! And I'm in my 30s and already a lawyer! I think I know how to use words at this point in my life, and when I tell people that I am going to "dental school" this August, they automatically try to clarify whether I really mean dental hygienist school? I think as a lawyer I know how to communicate and I know what I mean when I say "dentist", and I think it would be much harder to justify leaving the legal world to be a dental hygienist. I know it is because I am a female though. I try to be gracious and pretend like it doesn't bother me but it totally does!

Male and dental hygienist right here! I worked with 3 dentists (female & male) for 2 years! I got the jobs within a month after graduating when the field in my area was already saturated. I personally know 8 other male hygienists, 3 of them were in the same class with me. Out of those 8 hygienists, 2 are already in dental school and I was accepted this year. I liked dental hygiene because you can establish a decent conversation with your patients, but you have limited scope of practice and it gets pretty repetitive without much challenge. Overall, I am glad I did it because I could get the sense of dental office dynamics which is difficult when one just shadowing.

OMG that happens to me too! And I'm in my 30s and already a lawyer! I think I know how to use words at this point in my life, and when I tell people that I am going to "dental school" this August, they automatically try to clarify whether I really mean dental hygienist school? I think as a lawyer I know how to communicate and I know what I mean when I say "dentist", and I think it would be much harder to justify leaving the legal world to be a dental hygienist. I know it is because I am a female though. I try to be gracious and pretend like it doesn't bother me but it totally does!
Why are you switching from the legal field into dentistry? You don't have to answer if you don't want to, but sounds like there's an interesting story to it.

Kind of like asking why one did not chose being a mechanic over a mechanical engineer.

Last edited:
I have several friends who are hygienists since my school has a program. A lot of them want to continue on to become a dentist and feel that it was just a waste of time since they have to take pre-reqs again since the ones for hygiene don't count because they were easier.

The main thing they all seem to complain about is the work environment. They say there is a lot of drama and animosity between them and the assistants since the assistants are upset about the pay difference. The assistants will go out of the way not to help them or just be plain rude. I guess as a dentist people would probably think twice before acting up.

Hi everyone,

Thanks
Because why learn everything a dentist knows just to work under one? I know usually in every year you have one person who was a dental hygienist who was sick of knowing just as much as the dentist and getting paid 1/4 the salary.
Make your education pay off. Shoot for the stars.

Because why learn everything a dentist knows just to work under one? I know usually in every year you have one person who was a dental hygienist who was sick of knowing just as much as the dentist and getting paid 1/4 the salary.
Now that is one smart cookie. Maybe he/she could just clep out of ds and just take the boards.

That's pretty hilarious.....and false.

That's pretty hilarious.....and false.
What's false. I know one dental hygienist entering my class, and one in each year here at Midwestern.
My mother being a dental hygienist for 30+ years can do every procedure the dentist can. Hell, after interning at a oral surgeons and watching him pull teeth for 3 months I was able to do extractions in Ecuador pretty confidently.

Now that is one smart cookie. Maybe he/she could just clep out of ds and just take the boards.
Do you really think a PA after 10 years doesn't know as much as a doctor?

What's false. I know one dental hygienist entering my class, and one in each year here at Midwestern.
My mother being a dental hygienist for 30+ years can do every procedure the dentist can. Hell, after interning at a oral surgeons and watching him pull teeth for 3 months I was able to do extractions in Ecuador pretty confidently.

Being able to do procedures that you see everyday doesn't mean you know everything a dentist knows.

So after watching this oral surgeon you can do everything right? Would you feel comfortable putting someone under general anesthesia? My grandmother used to pull our teeth when we were young. I guess that makes her pretty much a dentist.

Reactions: 2 users

I can see where you're coming from....not your point of view but your stories. Every time I go to the dentist and tell the hygienist i'm going to go to dental school they go on this rant about how much they know about blah blah and one even told me she knew more than the dentist. The dentist walks in and she shut the **** up for the rest of the time.

The truth is d-school (and any other professional school) is on a whole different level than hygienist school. What hygienists cover in a year, dental students probably cover in a month.

At my nyu interview one of their deans said he could teach, in six months, a high school graduate to do any procedure a gp can, as well as a gp can. What do you think Minnesota and other places are doing with their therapist programs?

The question is, would that high school grad, or therapist, or any hygienist for that matter, know the why behind what they do?

Hell, after interning at a oral surgeons and watching him pull teeth for 3 months I was able to do extractions in Ecuador pretty confidently.
You don't want to brag or bring this up in your interviews

Reactions: 6 users