Why did you choose your major/make a case for your major!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Why did you choose your college major?

• Pre-existing interest of mine

Votes: 184 60.7%
  • Took courses and liked it a lot

Votes: 112 37.0%
  • Good at the subject material

Votes: 104 34.3%
  • Prepares me for the MCAT/med school

Votes: 94 31.0%
  • Didn't like/gave up on my first choice of major (current major was my back-up)

Votes: 18 5.9%
  • Fits with my schedule/goals

Votes: 54 17.8%
  • Other

Votes: 19 6.3%

• Total voters

Dandine

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
It’s time again for the “Why did you choose your major?” poll. I have decided to bump this annually for four reasons:

1) To prove that you can major in whatever you want as a pre-med

2) To discuss different majors/minors/areas of study and what’s out there in the academic world (fancy, huh?)

3) To get an idea of why people chose the majors they did, purely for curiosity reasons

4) To facilitate as an ice-breaker for new members of SDN (although old members welcome)

Original post from August below. Pre-meds, med/grad students, doctors, professors…have at it!

Even though I've already declared my major (and don't intend on changing it), I've been curious as to why others choose their majors, so I made this short poll.

Also, feel free to elaborate as to why you chose your major. Or, if you prefer, write as if you were persuading someone to pick the major/s you did (e.g. not many people know about it and you think more people should, it's really awesome because of X, etc.).

Enjoy! ;)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I couldn't decide, so I did all the majors.

Reactions: 2 users
Picked General Biology because half of the requirements were the premed prerequisites. Also had no interest in studying anything in college in depth; bio had classes that would help with the MCAT. Really easy choice.

Reactions: 1 user
Where is y'alls sense of humor today? lol I'm single so tell your sisters about me (18+).

Depends on what school I transfer to. It might be public health, kinesiology, or nutritional sciences.
I ought you were joking but wasn't sure. Anyway, all my sisters have boyfriends at the moment, so, sorry. I wouldn't tell them anyway though.

Last edited:
I'm a stats major. I really enjoy learning about the theory behind statistics. Plus, I think it's pretty useful to understanding/conducting research.

I majored in Spanish in college. I took it for six years before starting college but stopped after AP Spanish in my senior year. Then I took a leave of absence in college and when I was out of school I had a lot of time to think and realized I really missed language learning. I decided to switch my major when I came back to school and I've ultimately been happy with my decision. It gave me the chance to study abroad and meet new people, to learn something really in depth that I probably wouldn't have had the chance to once starting medical school and the to have a useful skill after graduation.

Members don't see this ad :)
Biology (my school doesn't offer any fancy deviations of it).
I always liked the subject plus it's the most convenient major for a pre-med. I figured that if there's anything I would like to learn beyond the major, I would just buy a book on it and read it.

Well, I chose Cell/Molecular Biology so that I can get a fresh start into a stem cell research internship.

Decided to go to medical school after a long long thought. (Job market for PhDs is generally not that good . . . )

Luckily all the pre-reqs were covered handsomely. And the continued interaction with science professors definitely helped with the letter writing.

I started doing meaningful lab work early on in undergrad, before I took any of my upper division courses. I fell in love with Genetics and am so excited to finally get into the real meat of this major.

Psychology because it's interesting and it gives me some tools early on that help me be a better healthcare provider.

Also, literally anything is more interesting than most biology classes.

Reactions: 9 users
Chemical & Biological Engineering because it's awesome, and it's a great backup plan if I never make it in to med school.

Reactions: 3 users
Majored in Psychology, minored in Physiology. The science of behavior is important in the context of disease when you consider the chronic lifestyle diseases today that are so ubiquitous. The fact I majored in it years ago, before any indication of the upcoming MCAT changes or some of the school's updated list of prereqs, makes me believe I made the right choice.

Biology. Didn't have any strong interest in any of the more specific biological fields. However, if I could go back, I'd probably do a humanities (public health, language, public affairs, etc.) + a science minor (physio, biology, etc.).

Neuroscience, because it gave me the most interesting parts of both Bio and Psych.

Biochemistry. If med school didn't pan out I would get my MBA and aim to start my own, research based, supplement company, bro.

Reactions: 1 users
English literature and theory. I was interested in studying the human condition, ideas about social responsibility, as well as philosophy--all of which end up being relevant to the sciences in the long run. For me, the human body was always interesting, but philosophically at first. I was really interested in the human body as a repository for narrative and how the human body could tell the stories (via scars, trauma, diseases, but also healing) of those who are forgotten in our national discourse (ie. poor, marginalized individuals, etc.).

When I began completing pre-reqs for medical school, I decided to minor in chemistry. I simply enjoyed this subject way too much, lol! For me, it's the most intuitive of the sciences.

Healthcare Management and Policy

•Easy to get all pre-reqs in
•I like the classes
•Employable

When I began completing pre-reqs for medical school, I decided to minor in chemistry. I simply enjoyed this subject way too much, lol! For me, it's the most intuitive of the sciences.

Yes! :) Finally I've found another person who thinks this!

I did biochemistry. I started out as a chemistry major because it was more interesting to me than biology at the time but then I fell in love with biology once I took my first bio course. There were a lot of days I regretted it and wished I had switched to biology (pchem :bang:) but now as I study for my MCAT, I realize some of those upper levels have helped me a lot. I've also read on SDN a few times that biochem majors may have a slightly easier time in MS1. I hope that's true.

I choose to major in chemistry because it scared me just a little bit. Just enough to make it incredibly interesting. And I love learning the details of the chemistry behind physiology, disease states, pharmaceuticals....

Last edited:
Biochemistry. Biology and chemistry are super interesting and it's fairly convenient for someone looking to go into medicine. Nothing else interests me that much anyways, except maybe psych.

Psychology and History Major! Except at my school psychology is a BSc degree and most classes are cross listed with neuro. I was originally in neuro because I just thought the brain was so interesting but I switched to psych after realizing the psych department had better profs and cooler classes! Ive just always loved history so that seemed like an obvious choice. It's really nice to have classes that ask you to think a different way (arts vs. science classes).

Computer Science. I get to build cool things and having a cushy 6-figure job for a gap year is always nice.

Philosophy major here. I chose it because I fell in love with the subject when I took my first course in it. I think it's also a beneficial major for people on the pre-med track. Not only does it improve your reading, writing, and critical-thinking skills, it forces you to analyze different sides of arguments more scrupulously, and to defend/question your beliefs. I think many people will also find that less people major in Philosophy at their universities, which allows for better student-faculty relationships. I agree with Relz about it being nice to have classes that require thinking from different perspectives, too.

Nontrad...was a music major. Played violin since I was young and essentially "used it" to get into a top 25 Uni as a music major (they are much more lax on your grades as a music major haha...but I still had the 'stats' though as I was at around the avg matriculated). I didn't intend on staying because I was raised super militant about practicing and stuff and never got to enjoy it. In college, I ended up loving it and decided to go all the way! Although quite a lot of things happened and now I'm a bit ambivalent about music as a profession now (jaded? disillusioned?), I'm still glad for the experience. Was taught a lot of intangibles, and so far in my premed track, nothing has been more difficult in comparison than having to play in front of judges who are waiting to eat you up. Also got the ability to concentrate for insane hours at a time (I averaged about 6 hours of practice time a day while taking classes and having rehearsals and such) and to push past physical discomfort. These qualities definitely helped me in succeeding in my prereqs for sure.

Unfortunately, those insane hours of practicing at the expense of my classes resulted in a subpar cGPA, which now I'm clamoring to make up for haha.

Honestly though, if I could do it again, I'd probably major in physics or chemistry. I had no idea how much I loved those classes till I took them. Especially Ochem---I still think about it and draw mechanisms randomly like they're my friend. ^^ *awkward*

Reactions: 5 users
Reviving for the newbies. :D

Biomedical Engineering. My university has a really great program which allows undergrads to delve into device design as well as new process development from the first year itself. The requirements cover most of the requirements for med school and the material is super cool (most of what i've learnt didn't exist 50 years ago). Plus, I have the option of always getting a lucrative job after graduation in case I want to put med school plans on hold. Also opens up some career options after going to medical school as well, as a consultant to companies/inventor-style-work. It is definitely not for everyone but if you like math, lots of math, some biology and systems analysis it will be a rewarding decision.

I chose biology, but if I could go back I probably would have chosen psychology, neurology or philosophy.

Being an RT let me make some serious cash during and after undergrad. It was all about that money. I also really liked it and got some great clinical experience.

Physics and chemistry dual major, I started as a physics major. I've always been fascinated by how things work and the mathematics behind it. Chemistry was just an outgrowth of that.
I almost added a biology major too but, that would have taken at least another semester and meant applying a cycle later. I'm too old for that.

Neurobiology because the brain is dope.

Exercise Science because it allowed me to take classes from nearly all majors. It also helps me considerably since I'm only applying DO for philosophical reasons. Swole brain, swole body.

Neuroscience major...benefits were two fold:

1) Many "behavioral neuroscience" classes are really just psych and anthro in disguise, but count as BCPM.

2) It's the only hard science major at my school that only required 1 semester of calculus (instead of 2)

*Added perk, I sound way smarter when I say I majored in Neuroscience

Neuroscience major...benefits were two fold:

1) Many "behavioral neuroscience" classes are really just psych and anthro in disguise, but count as BCPM.

2) It's the only hard science major at my school that only required 1 semester of calculus (instead of 2)

*Added perk, I sound way smarter when I say I majored in Neuroscience
I've always wondered, are there any concrete differences between neuroscience and neurobiology? Or are they fairly interchangeable? I'm sure it varies school to school but always have wondered this.

Accounting and Biology. Medicare won't embezzle itself, you know.

I've always wondered, are there any concrete differences between neuroscience and neurobiology? Or are they fairly interchangeable? I'm sure it varies school to school but always have wondered this.

Id say its used pretty much interchangeably. Maybe if you wanna get technical Id say Neurobiology is more the study of neurons and how they function at a cellular level while neuroscience is a little broader and looks at how they interact and fit into the bigger picture of anatomy and behavior.

At my school we were in the "neuroscience" and less in the "neurobiology" camp since our program was effectively just an offshoot of the psych department. I think most of the more prestigious programs like Vandy and Hopkins lie more on the neurobio side

Health Science. It was like being a bio major but replaced all the ecology/evolutionary bio requirements with psych and community health.

Hi everyone, bumped the thread. Added more to the very first post as an intro. Have at it!

Where is y'alls sense of humor today? lol I'm single so tell your sisters about me (18+).

Depends on what school I transfer to. It might be public health, kinesiology, or nutritional sciences.
Heyyy, here's a pitch.

If you are thinking nutritional sci, do biochemistry instead. Why? Because NutSci is basically the summed up version of biochem. ..you just learn facts. If you do biochem, you will have a much better critical thinking foundation for nutrition. I'm srs. It's way easier to logic about how to make lotsa gainz with your deeper knowledge of how fat and muscle production are inhibited/activated that memorizing some old 90s crap that is often changed because it is just based on the AHA etc.

Srs