Why did you choose your major/make a case for your major!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Why did you choose your college major?

• Pre-existing interest of mine

Votes: 184 60.7%
  • Took courses and liked it a lot

Votes: 112 37.0%
  • Good at the subject material

Votes: 104 34.3%
  • Prepares me for the MCAT/med school

Votes: 94 31.0%
  • Didn't like/gave up on my first choice of major (current major was my back-up)

Votes: 18 5.9%
  • Fits with my schedule/goals

Votes: 54 17.8%
  • Other

Votes: 19 6.3%

• Total voters
I majored in math. I originally majored in English Lit, but I kept getting into arguments with my professors because I felt like it was often very masturbatory to try and figure out exactly why an author did or did not say something specific. I felt that trying to associate some deeper meaning every time an author didn't write about war or politics was a bit ridiculous. I've sold quite a few pieces of fiction during our war in Iraq/Afghanistan, and I didn't choose not to write about the war to make a statement. I just never liked writing about that stuff (and now that I've deployed, I really don't want to write about it lol).

I took calculus and just fell in love with math. Even after graduating, I still take the time to learn new things on the subject, and I still get blown away on a regular basis, so I feel I made the right choice. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Biochemistry mostly because at my university basically meant I could take any science class I wanted with few restrictions and a lot of leniency. So I took all my biochem requirements but also took a lot of other classes in chemistry, physics, math, and even one grad neuro course. I also have a major in the liberal arts for similar reasons but applied to the humanities. I also enjoyed the smaller class sizes and the regular in class debate and discussion about things.

Biology. I was interested in the subject and would have chosen it even if I hadn't been interested in trying to go to medical school.

Now that I'm almost finished, I wish I would have done Biochemistry, though. At the time I was intimidated by the extra calculus and calc-based physics required. Now that I've taken so many more Biology, Chem, and Biochem classes, I wish I had just done it because I've really enjoy it. Oh well! Going back for two more math courses, then retaking physics (well, taking calc-based), and THEN adding p-chem just isn't worth it to me. So I added a minor in Chemistry instead.

Members don't see this ad :)
There was this cute girl in the CHEE department.

Reactions: 1 user
neuro

good blend of everything (psychology, biology, political science/ethics) from a very human-centered perspective

i can't imagine having studied anything else

a science degree (pretty intensive coursework, like we had our major decide our schedule). At the time, I had no assurance that I would be able to apply for medical school and there was a fear that I need a major that could help me get a job quickly until I knew when I could apply for medical education. Well, I worked quite a bit to stand in the good graces of the faculty as a student but no one noticed my hardwork and the amount of things I was juggling. I never received a scholarship or anything (being that almost a fourth of our class got it) that would acknowledge my excellence while I knew plenty of students who got them without the amount of hardwork I put in. It was a weird major and no faculty actually wanted to know its students even though we weren't that big a class. Funny how I felt my 300 student general science classes had more personable and amicable professors. I decided after my gap year that was a sign for me to start preparations for medical school and stop falling short of my true potential and dreams. I like the content of my major but since I am unemployed I could have done myself justice by going after another major and not clung to the employability label.

Follow your heart, don't believe in the gossip and just do you. There are so many fellowships for graduates that you don't necessarily have to have a major that is employable. Rather you need the right experiences and people who can vouch for you, your happiness, and your success.

Last edited:
Heyyy, here's a pitch.

If you are thinking nutritional sci, do biochemistry instead. Why? Because NutSci is basically the summed up version of biochem. ..you just learn facts. If you do biochem, you will have a much better critical thinking foundation for nutrition. I'm srs. It's way easier to logic about how to make lotsa gainz with your deeper knowledge of how fat and muscle production are inhibited/activated that memorizing some old 90s crap that is often changed because it is just based on the AHA etc.

Srs
Thanks for the input, man. Opinions on biomedical sciences?

I majored in math. I originally majored in English Lit, but I kept getting into arguments with my professors because I felt like it was often very masturbatory to try and figure out exactly why an author did or did not say something specific. I felt that trying to associate some deeper meaning every time an author didn't write about war or politics was a bit ridiculous. I've sold quite a few pieces of fiction during our war in Iraq/Afghanistan, and I didn't choose not to write about the war to make a statement. I just never liked writing about that stuff (and now that I've deployed, I really don't want to write about it lol).

I took calculus and just fell in love with math. Even after graduating, I still take the time to learn new things on the subject, and I still get blown away on a regular basis, so I feel I made the right choice. :)
Check out some abstract algebra in your spare time if you haven't already. Start with group theory (shout outs to @group_theory ) and see where it takes you.

Comp sci because I, for one, welcome our robot overlords

Reactions: 2 users
Electrical Engineering has been a great major. The closer I get to medical school the more weary of it I get. But it definitely taught me how to teach myself things which came into play when studying for the MCAT. Plus electricity is amazing, it's basically magic.

Reactions: 1 users
Biological sciences. I like the flexibility with upper division classes and I can take classes that aren't related to medicine. I always enjoyed multiple areas of science and this would be the only time I could explore them in a classroom setting. Also, it allows me to be picky with what classes/professors to take so I do end up having higher grades.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Biochemistry. I was considering doing Biology or Chemistry and found that I was good at both (better at Chemistry) so decided to do Biochemistry. The major entails taking upper level chemistry and biology courses. Plus it's the only major in which Gen Chem, Bio, Orgo, Physics, & intro Biochem (all the pre-reqs) count towards the major!

I majored in Dance and Psychology, and I am so glad! Those courses, plus the pre med requirements, gave me a really well-rounded education that made me think and learn in different ways.

I chose dance because I knew I loved it, and I wanted to get a degree out of it so I didn't feel like I was detracting from my studies with my dance involvement. It gave me a creative outlet and a way to stay active. Also, nothing made me stronger than pushing through verbal beatings of critique in rehearsals!

Psychology came into the mix after my advisor suggested I take into psych freshman year. I loved it, and I think it helps anyone who works with people to learn about how people behave and think. Plus, cognitive psychology taught me how to remember things and study, which was vital all through college!

If I could have chosen Neuroscience, I would have. Alas, my school never offered anything specialized through the Biology dept. so I went with that. People gave me crap about not having any uses for it if I decided to take a gap year (I did; I'm currently going into my first gap year now) and I found a research position using my degree.

But I chose it because I love biology. I love learning about the human body and I got my A's in those classes. If I had to go out of my major, j'aurais recu mon diplom en francais. J'adore la langue

Physics. It was the one science that peaked my interest. I wanted to be challenged while also enjoying my undergraduate education. Also, if plan A were to fail, then I needed a plan B that I would actually enjoy doing for the rest of my life.
Plus being one of 3 women in each class for my major is pretty cool.

Sent from my A0001 using SDN mobile

I started out as medical lab sciences without knowing much about it other than it had a medical focus (duh) because I knew in high school that medical school was my goal. Most other colleges I applied to at the time I just applied with Biology but I ended up going to my UG because it was cheapest. I didn't really understand what MLS was until sophomore year and I then really became interested in the study. I guess you could say I lucked out because I'm now working in a medical lab for my gap years and I couldn't be happier. Also the courses I had to take for the degree did overlap sufficiently with MCAT related courses as well as other aspects of biology and healthcare.

Nutrition because it's interesting and applicable to everyday life :)

Psychology (B.A.), because it's ridiculously easy and moderately interesting

I majored in Kinesiology because I wanted to increase my gainz. ( fyi it worked.)

Where is y'alls sense of humor today? lol I'm single so tell your sisters about me (18+).

Depends on what school I transfer to. It might be public health, kinesiology, or nutritional sciences.
As someone who majored in Kinesiology, my two cents is to go for kinesiology. At least at my school, Kin had various "specialties" or "focuses" depending on what you wanted to go into (one of which was human medicine.) I got to take a lot of very relevent and interesting classes like human diseases, epidemiology, exercise epidemiology, excercise physiology (ontop of normal physiology of course) motor function learning etc.

Psych because it's super applicable in a variety of disciplines (freakanomics actually employs behavioral quite heavily), and it allowed me to leave the "gunner" premeds. I like doing my own thing, and ultra-competitive people aren't necessarily all I want to be exposed to. I did take some philosophy classes, though, and I regret not minoring (took a bunch of classes because they sounded interesting: everything from higher level primate sociology to Russian lit).

Was initially engineering. Realized how poorly that was preparing me for MCAT/med school so I switched to Biochemistry & Molecular Bio (I enjoyed the few courses I took in chem and bio). Very happy with my decision.

It's that time of year! Have at it!

Biochemistry because straight chemistry scares me and in bio the premed:student ratio is too high for my sanity.

Neuroscience major...benefits were two fold:

1) Many "behavioral neuroscience" classes are really just psych and anthro in disguise, but count as BCPM.

2) It's the only hard science major at my school that only required 1 semester of calculus (instead of 2)

*Added perk, I sound way smarter when I say I majored in Neuroscience
Sorry, high school newbie here, what is BCPM? Thanks!

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Microbiology! What other major lets you eat your lab class results?

I started in biochem because I heard they're more employable... and then realized I didn't want to spend the next three years running gels.

The practical labs are super cool, and the course-work has been awesome but relatively easy: virology, medical micro, biochem, immunology, etc. It's also a tiny major at my school, so you get to know the people (including profs) better as opposed to the swarming mass of biochem students.

Art & Art History minor. I figured this will be the only time in my life that I get to dedicate four solid years to the one thing I really want to know more about. There's no point in majoring in a science, I'm going to learn all I need of that in medical school anyway.

Music! (And philosophy minor)

I'm good at it so the classes are easy with little work required (plus they're tiny, which is fun); like Clover, I know I'm never really going to get a chance to study this again. Kinda sad now that I think about it...

Biology cause It was broad and I was interested in pharmacy. Then ochem came by.

Biochemistry. I was considering doing Biology or Chemistry and found that I was good at both (better at Chemistry) so decided to do Biochemistry. The major entails taking upper level chemistry and biology courses. Plus it's the only major in which Gen Chem, Bio, Orgo, Physics, & intro Biochem (all the pre-reqs) count towards the major!

Ditto this except I originally wanted to be a forensic scientist, but I changed my mind after freshman year.

Neurobiology with a minor in philosophy. I chose pre-med a year into undergrad and it's one of the few majors at my university which expects matriculation as a junior so it fit well, and also brain stuff is really cool. Minored in philosophy because I took enough phil classes out out of my own interests that I ended up meeting the credit requirement anyways.

My username says it all lol. My major is anthropology, with an emphasis in forensic anthropology/bioarchaeology. Basically examining skeletal remains and drawing inferences about them. I originally wanted to be Bones.

Curious -- I love the bio side of anthro but I've always been hesitant to go further because I have mixed feeling about the legitimacy of the social/cultural side (ethnographic research is great, but a lot of the theories seem kind of ivory-tower-esque). How did you find these courses being that you are obviously a scientific-minded person?

Psychology (Neuroscience Track). The classes are the perfect blend of easy+interesting and lets me take extra classes in statistics and neuroscience that count toward my major. I like the interdisciplinary nature of the research. I also get to watch children play for credit.

I loved chest and bicep day, so I chose Exercise Science as a major. At the end of the day, I had to ask myself one question, do you even lift?

In all seriousness, I was between Biology and Exercise Science. I'm glad that I decided to take the Kinesiology/Exercise Science route, because personal training is a great side hustle to make a few extra $$. Plus, having a more in-depth understanding of nutrition and exercise comes in handy and it makes Biochemistry a little more enjoyable.

Microbiology for the lab classes. Where else can you grow a gallon of e coli? Also (at least at my school), microbiology had a good amount of genetics and biochem mixed in so things were always interesting.

Pharmacology and Toxicology. It's interesting, hopefully some carry over, great research opportunities, fulfilled all pre-reqs in 2 years so I could take MCAT before start of junior year. And most importantly: good fall back potential. I have to do a required internship and a LOT of people get good job offers off of those.

Curious -- I love the bio side of anthro but I've always been hesitant to go further because I have mixed feeling about the legitimacy of the social/cultural side (ethnographic research is great, but a lot of the theories seem kind of ivory-tower-esque). How did you find these courses being that you are obviously a scientific-minded person?

In my experience, a lot of the science/humanities legitimacy divide depends a lot on which side the issue is approached from. Scientists say humanists are just making stuff up or using semantics in place of evidence, whereas the humanists say the scientists are making assumptions about the world that, if incorrect, could dramatically reduce the value of scientific research in the general. The best way to be able to do both fields well is to have an open mind, and then draw your own conclusions.

Science, Technology, and Society! Because it was a super cool intersection between humanities and hard sciences, I really got to have the best of both worlds. The program also had a lot of public health/medicine focused classes, and was very easy to tailor to my specific interests.

Psychology with minors in chemistry and philosophy. Psych because my program had an emphasis on Neuroscience and the professors were superior to the biology department. Chemistry because I could get the minor from completing the prereqs. Philosophy because I wanted to be able to think critically and enjoy my classes.

Bioinformatics. Reason: School recruited me on basis of GPA. Accepted the major on the basis of receiving a full ride scholarship with additional stipend.

Neuroscience and psychology. (1) It's been interesting about how the human mind arises from populations of neurons firing, (2) I thought the psychology side of it all are real interesting and so is the neuroscience, (3) I did really well in pretty much all of the major-specific courses, and (4) good preparation for the MCAT.