Why did you quit Engineering?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HealingSprings

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. Reading through many threads (some are almost a decade old), I've noticed that there are many ex-engineers on this site who are aspiring doctors, nurses, pharmacists, etc.

I want to know: what made you decide to leave Engineering? Which branch of Engineering were you in? What did you like and not like about Engineering? And what made you go into Engineering in the first place? What job do you have/hope to have after quitting Engineering?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

My job was extremely unfulfilling and frankly boring. I got tired of sitting in my cubicle all day while not interacting with ppl. I cannot wait for the day I leave this job and get into dental school. Some suggested try another company or branch off into consulting but at the end of the day I chose this career as a quick means to a job to support my family and also because at the time I was advised by a counselor to pursue something mathematically inclined.
I am a software engineer and regret each day in this field but at the same time thankful I have a job given the economy and ppl struggling to feed themselves.

I was a manufacturing engineer, non-degreed just in the right place at the right time with the right aptitude. Medicine was always my passion but I made some (retrospectively) poor life choices and fell into a really good career on accident. When the electronics market shifted overseas my lack of credentials left me on the outside looking in. Turned out to be just what I needed in the long run, after working a bunch of horrible labor jobs to keep the family afloat I decided to go back to school and do what I had always wanted to do in the first place.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi. Reading through many threads (some are almost a decade old), I've noticed that there are many ex-engineers on this site who are aspiring doctors, nurses, pharmacists, etc.

I want to know: what made you decide to leave Engineering? Which branch of Engineering were you in? What did you like and not like about Engineering? And what made you go into Engineering in the first place? What job do you have/hope to have after quitting Engineering?

Thanks!

I've bachelors degrees in Aeronautical and Mechanical engineering, plus an MS. I always liked science and wanted to apply it to real world problems. I've had some really cool jobs, learned some interesting things, but to echo someone else I didn't really get to work with people as much as I'd like to.

I decided that it didn't satisfy me, I wasn't really enjoying it, and I didn't want to spend another 30+ years of my life doing something that wasn't for me. I decided on medicine because I found that it did satisfy me. Something amazing about being a provider, caring for other people. Teaching. Service. Learning. I've spent roughly 2 years trying to talk myself out of it. It hasn't worked, and I'll be applying to medical schools in June.

Reactions: 1 user
Studying mechanical engineering during college made me dislike this profession and work experience as an engineer made it even worse. I just think engineering is not for me, I am not good with dealing with machines and doing auto-cad drawings. I hate going to boring meetings as well.
Medicine looks far more interesting and even though I have not yet started medical school, I just think it is much more compatible to me than engineering.

Mech. E. refinery maintenance and reliability roles. The most unfulfilling job I've ever had and the corporate ladder culture made me sick to my stomach. Also 75% of the work in my industry was purely for CYA. The labor work force taken as a whole didn't give a rats about safety or efficiency, they cared about the status quo, protecting each other, and wage increases on top of their already rediculous wages.

They couldn't pay me enough to stay. Walked out the gate with a smile on my face and have not looked back.

By nature I like to fix things, I have to fix things. The only days I enjoyed in engineering were the ones where I solved a real problem. I'd love to be a doctor and continue to fix things, like broken bodies.

Very interesting.Thanks everyone! :) I guess Engineering is just one of those jobs that you either love or hate.

Anyone else? *bump* i would love to hear your responses.

I have a computer science degree, somewhat similar.
I came to the conclusion that working in that field for the rest of my life would bore me to no end.
Who wants to work in a cubicle all day?
Life would not be fulfilling.
Now I am 4 months shy of being an attending physician; its [nearly] all smiles.

I have a BS and an MS in civil engineering. I never had much exposure to medicine growing up and never even considered going into it. After college, a family member of mine was diagnosed with cancer and her doctor was amazing. The way she touched my family, by just doing her job made me look into a career in medicine. Meanwhile I have worked for two different companies trying to find something suitable, but I have come to the conclusion that the engineering field is not suited for me. Interesting projects are few and far between, cubicles suck, and I have at least 1000 bosses (probably more). Got to love Corporate America! :love:

Reactions: 1 users
Masters degrees in Electrical and Computer sciences. Worked for 10+ yrs before realizing the lack of prospects for techies. 3 months shy of graduating with a medical degree.

Not engineering but I have a physics degree. My answer is simply that I want to have a more direct impact on people's lives. My grandfather who I lived with got cancer, I met my wife who is a liver transplant recipient and her father also got cancer. I saw the impact all of their doctors had on their lives and wanted to have the same impact. This all happened in a year and I was about to graduate so I stayed with my physics program and graduated. When I entered school I had planned on either medicine or phys/eng and I was scared to death of the responsibility that doctors had so I chose the alternate route. In hindsight though I needed those years to mature and I loved (still do ) physics and if I do end up in radiation oncology then I can bring my physics knowledge to the table. I guess my ultimate answer is the cheesy sounding idea that I can make the greatest impact on the world as a physician.

I graduated with a degree in Industrial Engineering. I knew well before graduation date that I was not destined to be an engineer, yet the economy and logic said to go ahead and finish my degree. It's now been a around 9 months since graduation and I am in the beginnings of thinking about a medical profession.

I originally got into Industrial Engineering via poor decision making skills. I've always known that math and the sciences were where my interests lay, but didn't give it enough serious thought as to what I would major in. I found out that engineering would be the death of me during my mandatory co-ops. Every job was very different from the last, except for the whole "work in a cubicle" thing. The tasks were different, but the setting and human exposure was the same. So I worked through all that to get the degree and here I am 9 months later.

I hope to sure up my decision about entering into the medical field and then get some exposure via a scribe position in a clinic/hospital (or something similar), studying for the MCAT, looking at possible post-bac programs since I lack the biology and organic chemistry requirements to apply to med school.

Thanks for your wonderful responses, everyone. wish you guys the best of luck in applying to med school :)

Bump. Hope to hear more.

Members don't see this ad :)
Mechanical Engineering here. Never worked as such, but knew its just not for me.

Degree in electrical engineering, worked as a software engineer in the medical devices industry. Simply put, I wanted to be at the point of care rather than somewhere earlier in the chain. And I do find that I like talking to people; being able to hear their stories is a privilege.

However, I wouldn't say that I quit engineering... I do feel that once I've become more comfortable in my new responsibilities, I'll find a way to work engineering into my activities. And I feel like I'll always identify first as an engineer. There are also similarities between the practice of medicine and engineering that the change to medicine as a profession isn't all that big a leap.

However, I wouldn't say that I quit engineering... I do feel that once I've become more comfortable in my new responsibilities, I'll find a way to work engineering into my activities. And I feel like I'll always identify first as an engineer. There are also similarities between the practice of medicine and engineering that the change to medicine as a profession isn't all that big a leap.
:thumbup: Word. One does not quit engineering.

[youtube]CmYDgncMhXw[/youtube]

BSEE, worked 12 years in private industry R&D. Will use my engineering next year during research. Will use it in my career:

I corrupted the West Side Story song (credit 100% me) to explain this to other sparkies:

"When you're a JFET, you're a JFET all the way. From your first impedance match to your last Fourier."

You think like an engineer, you talk like an engineer, and even if you never return to engineering, you will find it influences your practice of medicine.

Oh this is an easy one.

Graduated with Electrical Engineering & Computer Science degree. After working in the field for 8 years I realized that my oh so prestigious "engineering" degree was about as useful as used toilet paper. They let people who have no college training, but tons of "experience" into software engineering. As long as you say you have "experience" it is good enough.

People do not see me as an "engineer" but as a "programmer" and I find it demeaning. I am tired of working with amateurs who are second rate hacks at best. I am tired of trying to impress non-technical managers who only know how to recognize buzz-words instead of finding true talent. I am tired of working for 10 hours/day and have other people steal the credit for my work.

In short -- the corporate world is a joke. I want to work in a field where incompetence cannot be tolerated.

A recent email from a Software Engineer III who has worked here for over two years.

Where can I find log files for the dev servers?

Here is a gem from a Senior Software Engineer II, who is supposed to be able to provide direction to the team. She has been on the team for 15 years, and we have done "war deployments" the entire time I have been here...

My problems were more of the "stupid&" nature that is hard to reproduce or even remember what happened. Most of the problems are due to having never worked with war deployments before.

Need I say more? I have a whole folder filled with these gems. I wake up in the middle of the night in cold sweats just thinking about the state of my team.

Last edited:
we actually have tps reports where i work...

"When you're a JFET, you're a JFET all the way. From your first impedance match to your last Fourier."

:)

we actually have tps reports where i work...

LOL...at times I feel like that at work....and we have things similar too...haha

I am not in medical school yet, but I do plan to pursue it. Why did I do engineering? Had family members who were engineers, and I liked physics, electronics, etc in high school. Got a BSEE.

I liked many of my classes in college, and if I could go back, I would still do an engineering degree (but actually take the prereqs with it). Engineering does provide a good fallback if you can't start right away. Pay is good.

My current job is somewhat "industrial" in nature, as in we engineers support the operations of a facility, maintaining safety and production. Do I hate every day? Not necessarily, but I don't love it either. Do I learn stuff? Yes, and there are other skills that this experience has allowed me to develop. However, ask me: do you want to do this for the next decade, at least? Nope. It's a stable job, but I don't like sitting in a cubicle for the majority of the day. It's too quiet, and most people are also stuck in their cubicles, so there is not as much human interaction as I would like.

I would have much rather worked in an R&D or laboratory setting, actually doing NEW things, not glorified maintenance (having not worked in such settings, this is my perception which may/may not be correct. The closest thing I did was research during undergrad). Also, my job lacks hands-on stuff. Though I get to look at stuff, it's not the same.

Sorry, I had to vent.

I have many relatives who have been sick, so of course that influences me too.

I hope to use my engineering background in some manner if I become a doctor. Perhaps in research. We'll see what happens.

Last edited:
Working as a Research and Design engineer at a medical device company sharpened my perception on the role of technology in healthcare. Technology can fulfill a user's need. Developing the product that meet the user's need was a fun process for me... plenty of problem solving. That being said, there is a sensitivity required of the clinical staff of healthcare to addressing the concerns and situation of the patient, the appropriateness of the technology, and the preparedness of the user (often a physician) that is required to integrate this technology into practice that I found appealing. That perceptiveness that the clinical staff at our company had to possess and exercise further interested me in transitioning to clinical work.

Thanks!

Because compared to all of those careers engineering sucks. In every single way.

Yup. That pretty much sums it up.

:)

LOL...at times I feel like that at work....and we have things similar too...haha

I am not in medical school yet, but I do plan to pursue it. Why did I do engineering? Had family members who were engineers, and I liked physics, electronics, etc in high school. Got a BSEE.

I liked many of my classes in college, and if I could go back, I would still do an engineering degree (but actually take the prereqs with it). Engineering does provide a good fallback if you can't start right away. Pay is good.

My current job is somewhat "industrial" in nature, as in we engineers support the operations of a facility, maintaining safety and production. Do I hate every day? Not necessarily, but I don't love it either. Do I learn stuff? Yes, and there are other skills that this experience has allowed me to develop. However, ask me: do you want to do this for the next decade, at least? Nope. It's a stable job, but I don't like sitting in a cubicle for the majority of the day. It's too quiet, and most people are also stuck in their cubicles, so there is not as much human interaction as I would like.

I would have much rather worked in an R&D or laboratory setting, actually doing NEW things, not glorified maintenance (having not worked in such settings, this is my perception which may/may not be correct. The closest thing I did was research during undergrad). Also, my job lacks hands-on stuff. Though I get to look at stuff, it's not the same.

------------------

WHOA! Very well said! The problem solving - woowee; it can be so much fun. I just don't see that in the medical world. You're actually taught to do things that are "anti-problem solving" - just straight memorization. Even the "glorified maintenance" (spot on) can be fun for the problem solving. I see guys with 30 years of experience still learning and trying to solve new problems. But you're right, nothing is "cutting edge" in the Industrial/Operations world, which is somewhat frustrating. And indeed there isn't much human interaction unless you're dealing with contractors. The only way to know whether we can handle ALL OF THE DIFFERENT TYPES of human interaction that doctors deal with is to go shadow.

I also know that the only way to compare the two careers is to talk to people who are well into their careers in both fields and see what they have to say. You find so many doctors regretting their decision for various reasons. I really don't find too many engineers (at least in my water industry) regretting their decision (probably because the work/life balance is amazing and the pay is decent). You will quickly find that once you have kids, the whole perspective of your job changes.

Also, remember to stay healthy no matter what you do. Be honest with yourself and decide how important work/life balance is to you. I am still having trouble with this. Perhaps stomaching 8 hours a day isn't too bad if the rest of your life is superb.

Thanks!

1. The pay sucked
2. Electrical/Computer
3. I liked having weekends free. I did not like having to report to an office for work even if I had no work to do and waste my time acting busy. I didn't see that as a productive way to spend my life.
4. I was good at math and wanted to make money.
5. Anything

In short -- the corporate world is a joke. I want to work in a field where incompetence cannot be tolerated.

Well then it's good you're coming to medicine because the hospitals have this thing called Press Ganey, which the corporate administration uses to guarantee that incompetence will not be tolerated! Also, the doctors run the show and the hospitals NEVER tell them what to do or make them do stupid reports and training sessions that waste their time! Also you will love the efficiency and homogeneity of EMRs!:rolleyes:

Also, you don't have to worry about working 10 hours and having someone else take credit for your work... You'll work 16, and they'll not only take credit, but they'll take the pay too! It's not all that bad...

I quit biomedical, came to medicine for the ladies.

There are ladies?
Hmn..:idea: these ladies must be hiding from me cos i haven't seen any!

Thank you for your valuable responses. From what I'm gathering, most of you are leaving engineering because you hate sitting in a cubicle all day and want to have more frequent interaction. It seems that you guys are extroverted. I guess extroversion and engineering don't really mix.

Someone posted about engineering paying poorly. However, doesn't engineering pay the most out of all the other B.S degrees? Most engineers make over $60k, don't they?

Many people on this thread have said that they want to make a bigger impact. However, I don't understand what could make a bigger impact than engineers. You guys make all the tools doctors and nurses use to heal, along with all the other awesome things that society depend on and want. Without Engineers, this world would still be in the stone age, no?

Just wondering, because i usually just hear about how awesome and fun engineering is.

Oddly enough, I'm now doing a clinical research gig in rads and although its a lot of sitting in front of the computer...its a lot better than engineering ever was.

Thank you for your valuable responses. From what I'm gathering, most of you are leaving engineering because you hate sitting in a cubicle all day and want to have more frequent interaction. It seems that you guys are extroverted. I guess extroversion and engineering don't really mix.

Someone posted about engineering paying poorly. However, doesn't engineering pay the most out of all the other B.S degrees? Most engineers make over $60k, don't they?

Many people on this thread have said that they want to make a bigger impact. However, I don't understand what could make a bigger impact than engineers. You guys make all the tools doctors and nurses use to heal, along with all the other awesome things that society depend on and want. Without Engineers, this world would still be in the stone age, no?

Just wondering, because i usually just hear about how awesome and fun engineering is.

Ok. There are a couple things here that I'd like to address.

One is extroversion and whether or not engineering is more suited to one or the other, or rather, if extroverts can be happy as engineers as opposed to doctors. The answer is that it depends on what you like. You're thinking this is obvious but it isn't. Extroversion doesn't mean you don't like working by yourself, it just means you feel energized working with others. I'm an introvert, but I love working with other people. I just find it exhausting. Rewarding, but tiring!

The other point that I'd like to bring up is the matter of impact. Yes, engineers do make the world go round, it's true! But think of it from an application perspective: i work in aerospace, but i don't fly planes for a living. Pilots do that. An engineer designed the wings, dozens, hundreds and even thousands, perhaps, had a hand in making that possible, but the person driving the plane is probably not an engineer. Maybe an engineering background will make him a better pilot, because he better understands how his plane works, but he doesn't need to be one. I feel that medicine is kind of similar- you have all of these scientists pushing the ball forward, along with engineers and research md's, but the people actually applying it are the clinicians.

I'm an introvert. Introvert doesn't mean I don't want to deal with or talk to people, in my case it means I prefer to deal with one person at a time and have a meaningful interaction whenever possible. In my former work environment (huge floor of cubicals with outdoor/field visits) you had to be an extrovert to do well. Extroverts made the connections and advanced up the ladder, introverts got relegated to closets and put on the "technical" track.

Yes, I'm not sure what field the person was talking about though. I came out of school in 2008 making $75k with benefits. In July when med school starts I'll be walking away from the $100k salary I'm making right now. Very few people leave engineering because the money is lousy but in my area the job market is dominated by big oil. Big oil = big salary

There is more to life than pure capitalism. I no longer exalt the "producer" over the "servicer". I made gasoline for a living. Er more correctly, I came up with ideas to keep machines and equipment safe, functional, and reliable so that people could make gasoline. People made the gasoline, and people need to be healthy to do that. Medicine is just one aspect of making and keeping a society at large healthy, but medicine makes a huge impact on people's lives.

To some, it is. They should stay in engineering and keep the world turning. For some of us, we'd rather lose 10+ years of income, go into significant debt, and sacrifice material, emotional, and physiological comforts to do medicine because we found engineering so unfulfilling. YMMV

The other point that I'd like to bring up is the matter of impact. Yes, engineers do make the world go round, it's true! But think of it from an application perspective: i work in aerospace, but i don't fly planes for a living. Pilots do that. An engineer designed the wings, dozens, hundreds and even thousands, perhaps, had a hand in making that possible, but the person driving the plane is probably not an engineer. Maybe an engineering background will make him a better pilot, because he better understands how his plane works, but he doesn't need to be one. I feel that medicine is kind of similar- you have all of these scientists pushing the ball forward, along with engineers and research md's, but the people actually applying it are the clinicians
Both engineers and doctors like to think highly of themselves, this is certain! Indeed, engineers do influence many of the technologies behind modern medicine. However, time and again I've seen cases where the engineers have almost no understanding of the clinical implications surrounding their efforts - they often end up "in the weeds" and need near constant but gentle guidance from clinicians to stay on task. At the same time I've seen physicians make essentially illogical or unreasonably difficult requests of the engineers because they are ill informed about the laws of physics :p

You see, engineers rarely have an understanding of clinical problems or tradeoffs and without direct clinical input revert to making "solutions looking for problems". Not that they should have clinical acumen anymore than physicians should think like engineers. The point being their training and culture is so different because they need to think differently - and for good reason.

But to the idea of impact: There is always a "doctor in the loop" of successful medical technology development - either indirectly as a consultant educating the engineers or directly as management with the visionary ideas. If you want to talk about "impact" would say the person capable of bridging this gap is the one impacting medicine the most.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

I'm in biomechanical engineering and I still rather enjoy it but it's definitely dawning on me that I enjoy engineering more on a hobby level.

Healing Springs -

Interesting summation. Some of my reply will just be repeats of what others have said, but I will throw my few cents out there.

1. Money - You're right in the sense that engineers are compensated well right out of college for the most part. In my case specifically (I'm applying next cycle to start med school in 2015) I got a great job right out of college three years ago (85k starting in the area I wanted to live. Coastal city, so higher cost of living, but still very decent money even with higher costs), but that just doesn't happen for everyone. Engineers especially are very easy to come by, especially young ones. Companies are paying less and less because they can - the poor economy dictates this because people, especially new graduates, are willing to take almost any sort of employment.

2. Personality - I won't disagree that the stereotype that engineers are introverted exists for a reason, but I wouldn't say that it is as prevalent as many people might suggest. Some of the most extroverted people that I know are engineers. It really just depends on how much satisfaction you get from people and the environment around you. Some engineers that I have worked with are extremely collaborative, and do their best work that way. Some would rather sit at their desk or in a lab, and they do their best work that way. It depends on where you're drawing your fulfillment on a daily basis..

3. Impact/Fulfillment Specifically - As others have mentioned, you could run this argument either way and probably justify which profession makes the larger impact, but it is irrelevant. Take myself, for instance: I feel mostly gratified with the impact my work has on the electric power protection industry and should be completely satisfied in that regard. I'm not though, and that stems from the fact that my perceived impact is completely delocalized into this industrial cloud that is my industry. I think back to working as a bar tender in college and find that I sometimes felt more gratified serving a regular their favorite drink without having to be asked than I do with my work now, just because I knew that it really made a difference in their day. I think that is an important distinction for a lot of people going back to school to be doctors - especially engineers that make that choice. Many engineers that choose to become doctors after the fact probably had very fulfilling careers from the perspective of the average individual, but it is the lack of connection of that impact to tangible individuals that really spurns the would-be-doctor engineer and diminishes the resulting fulfillment.

That's how I feel, anyhow. I just miss doing work with people and/or for said people that I can measure the impact it has on said people in person, in real time. Call it a quirk, but I think it is something a lot of medical professionals share.

I am a Biomedical Engineer and work for a medical device company. I am still fulfilling my pre-med pre-reqs and will apply June 2014. For me, it's not that I hate engineering. I do like engineering, especially in the medical device industry. I work on products that do help patients/save lives but there a disconnect between us at HQ and the patients. I am grateful that I got into this field because it has opened my eyes to see what I really want to do. I want to be on the other side of the business as a doctor.

I get the opportunity to make field visits and observe surgeries. I remember my "ah-ha" moment of when I finally realized I needed to start pursuing my thoughts of medical school. I was at a case and we weren't able to go into the actual OR. The surgeons had head pieces on with cameras and audio and there was a live feed of the surgery in a different room of the hospital. The room was filled with residents, med students, sales reps, engineers, and marketing professionals. At the beginning of the case, everyone was into it. It was a 4 hour surgery so as time went on, I noticed that people lost interest. The marketing team discussed how this surgeon would be a great fit to speak at an upcoming conference on his technique. The sales reps were tallying up how much product the surgeon used and how they would bill the hospital. The engineers were discussing the instrumentation that was being used and how they could make it better. I should have been there with the engineers--more interested in the products. However, I found myself in the same position as the med students. I was into this surgery. I was amazed at how efficient and effective this surgeon was. I was a little anxious and nervous for the patient--I just kept thinking of how this surgery needs to go perfect so that they could get back to a normal life. Sorry for the dramatic build up, but it is true! I was across the country on my own and I really believe that is when I found myself. I realized I have been putting off this thought of becoming a doctor because I know if I stayed working as an engineer, my life would be comfortable. I would work on interesting projects, I would work Mon-Fri 7-4pm, I would have holidays off, I would get paid well. All of these things seemed like logical reasons to stay. My OR experience made me realize althought all of those things are "easy" and I would be comfortable, I wanted more.

Although completing my post bac work while working full time has been tough, I am getting towards the end and hope that it is all worth it. Thanks!

Healing Springs -

Interesting summation. Some of my reply will just be repeats of what others have said, but I will throw my few cents out there.

1. Money - You're right in the sense that engineers are compensated well right out of college for the most part. In my case specifically (I'm applying next cycle to start med school in 2015) I got a great job right out of college three years ago (85k starting in the area I wanted to live. Coastal city, so higher cost of living, but still very decent money even with higher costs), but that just doesn't happen for everyone. Engineers especially are very easy to come by, especially young ones. Companies are paying less and less because they can - the poor economy dictates this because people, especially new graduates, are willing to take almost any sort of employment.

2. Personality - I won't disagree that the stereotype that engineers are introverted exists for a reason, but I wouldn't say that it is as prevalent as many people might suggest. Some of the most extroverted people that I know are engineers. It really just depends on how much satisfaction you get from people and the environment around you. Some engineers that I have worked with are extremely collaborative, and do their best work that way. Some would rather sit at their desk or in a lab, and they do their best work that way. It depends on where you're drawing your fulfillment on a daily basis..

3. Impact/Fulfillment Specifically - As others have mentioned, you could run this argument either way and probably justify which profession makes the larger impact, but it is irrelevant. Take myself, for instance: I feel mostly gratified with the impact my work has on the electric power protection industry and should be completely satisfied in that regard. I'm not though, and that stems from the fact that my perceived impact is completely delocalized into this industrial cloud that is my industry. I think back to working as a bar tender in college and find that I sometimes felt more gratified serving a regular their favorite drink without having to be asked than I do with my work now, just because I knew that it really made a difference in their day. I think that is an important distinction for a lot of people going back to school to be doctors - especially engineers that make that choice. Many engineers that choose to become doctors after the fact probably had very fulfilling careers from the perspective of the average individual, but it is the lack of connection of that impact to tangible individuals that really spurns the would-be-doctor engineer and diminishes the resulting fulfillment.

That's how I feel, anyhow. I just miss doing work with people and/or for said people that I can measure the impact it has on said people in person, in real time. Call it a quirk, but I think it is something a lot of medical professionals share.

Thank you very much. your post was very honest and helpful.

another thing I'm hearing is that engineers nowadays, unlike those of the 70s,80s, and early 90s, are most valued when they have 5-10 years of experience. Once the engineer gets a bit older than that (about 35-40 years of age), his/her value as an employee declines and is therefore the first one out and last one in in terms of employment. This is because the experience they have is already obsolete, and employers could hire the younger kids and save a bunch of money. Is this true?

Also, I've heard the engineer's career is often cyclic in the 21st century - you get hired for a project, the company can't afford to lose you the engineer so they pay you very well, the project is completed and you get laid off. Is this true?

another thing I'm hearing is that engineers nowadays, unlike those of the 70s,80s, and early 90s, are most valued when they have 5-10 years of experience. Once the engineer gets a bit older than that (about 35-40 years of age), his/her value as an employee declines and is therefore the first one out and last one in in terms of employment. This is because the experience they have is already obsolete, and employers could hire the younger kids and save a bunch of money. Is this true?

Also, I've heard the engineer's career is often cyclic in the 21st century - you get hired for a project, the company can't afford to lose you the engineer so they pay you very well, the project is completed and you get laid off. Is this true?
I was replaced when expressing interest in medical school. Laid off and replaced with two men nearing retirement. What does that say about how severely obsolete my training was? :hungover:

No, more like you can pay someone younger less money for the a *similar* job. Not same. I'm not sure when engineering became considered a bulk commodity. But it is now in some sectors treated like a raw material that can be acquired when needed and dispensed with when no longer useful. And like USDA Grade A animal lard - an ounce is an ounce. So, it's worth noting these two guys who replaced me were looking to coast until their retirement kicked in. As such, they were willing to make half my salary....so my boss was like "USDA beef lard half off? Omg! I can afford two fist-fulls instead of one to insert into my fat maw! "...also...classically aerospace engineering and sone military contractor positions are more cyclic and project based.

Yes and no, it really depends on which sector you're working for and what kind of company. My job, for example, is pretty secure because I work in a generalized support role for all of our projects. Our firm is not large, but not small, and it is privately held. I think that corporate culture also plays a huge role in these things, and layoff is a last resort where I work . On the other side of that coin, many of the large, publicly traded firms go through layoff cycles all the time. At that point, you either have to be one of those people that really enjoys going from job to job (I have a friend that is an Environmental, Health & Safety Engineer and he never works in the same place/for the same company for more than 4 months, but really loves it) and has the personality and networking connections to always have something lined up, or suffer through cyclical unemployment.

To answer the other portion of your question, most of the successful engineers that I know that are past that 5-10 mark actually have transitioned into management. I think it is probably easier to develop the skills to be an effective (or at least "visibly effective" enough that your job is more secure) manager than it is to develop such a niche technical expertise that you're indispensable as an engineer. In that regard, the truly "classical" engineer really is a dying breed. I am surrounded by hundreds of engineers daily and I think I've maybe only met one or two in my entire career that would fit this description.

So, yeah... Engineering is a popular college discipline that a lot of people can "make it" through. Because of that, salaries are driven down and employment as you rise in your career is less secure, because there is always someone younger with a fresh take on the latest toolset that is available to do your work for a fraction of the pay.

Probably more long winded than you bargained for :)

Well then it's good you're coming to medicine because the hospitals have this thing called Press Ganey, which the corporate administration uses to guarantee that incompetence will not be tolerated! Also, the doctors run the show and the hospitals NEVER tell them what to do or make them do stupid reports and training sessions that waste their time! Also you will love the efficiency and homogeneity of EMRs!:rolleyes:

Also, you don't have to worry about working 10 hours and having someone else take credit for your work... You'll work 16, and they'll not only take credit, but they'll take the pay too! It's not all that bad...

Okay buddy.

Judging by the tone of your post I can tell you missed the point of my post. I am not under the illusion that by working as a doctor I will have found some panacea where I will suddenly walk into a perfect business model surrounded by competent individuals. Hospitals have administration too, which by default is filled with people with Business degrees, who for the most part are barely able to write their own names on the top of a piece of paper.

The competent individuals I am referring to in my post are my peers, the other doctors I will be working with. Those who I will have to consult with on tricky problems. I am sure you could have figured that out from the context of the original post. You know the part where I mentioned that I was being forced to work with untrained individuals? I am not sure you understand how frustrating it is when you have to explain the simplest concepts to someone who is supposedly your senior, and should be providing you with guidance. You probably have never worked in a company where all the major work is assigned to you because nobody else knows how to do it, so you end up with a team of 4 people barely doing any work and one person carrying the load. On top of that, now that they have more time those people create meetings and power point presentations to show off all the great work that is being done...all the great work that is yours, but they are taking credit for. After the fourth company where this continued to happen I realized it wasn't going to get better.

I am trying hard to find a situation where a surgeon performs a 10 hour operation and someone else gets payed for it. Please enlighten me, because I start med school soon. If this happens regularly I will reconsider my future carefully.

I am sure many people will find my post bitter and acerbic. Well it is, but it isn't all bad. Although the flame of hate for corporate america runs hot within me, I learned very valuable lessons on how to play corporate politics, and I guarantee I will be light years ahead of my fellow students. Sometimes I think it isn't fair for them, but then I think of the price I had to pay to learn those lessons and realize, it is more than fair.

... My OR experience made me realize althought all of those things are "easy" and I would be comfortable, I wanted more.

Although completing my post bac work while working full time has been tough, I am getting towards the end and hope that it is all worth it. Thanks!

----> civil/ENV engineer here. Yes! Experience - just like in engineering, experience is what matters! If you are reading this thread, then you are for sure INTERESTED in medicine and the thought of pursuing it as a career, but you won't know until you have valuable EXPERIENCES. it's just like when you give someone a gift - give them an experience and they'll remember it forever, give them a material item and they may/may not remember it.

HOWEVER, WE MUST FALL IN LOVE WITH THE PROCESS OF OUR PROFESSION - not just the end goal. You must love not only what a doctor does but the process of becoming one. As a society we have this perverse attitude towards instant gratification. We often romanticize a doctor's work by highlighting his/her best work. If you really want to know what it's like to be a doctor, shadow some doctors, residents and medical students.

Regardless of what happens, always think like an engineer in every aspect of life, we are special individuals.

With love,

Last edited:
You know the part where I mentioned that I was being forced to work with untrained individuals? I am not sure you understand how frustrating it is when you have to explain the simplest concepts to someone who is supposedly your senior, and should be providing you with guidance. You probably have never worked in a company where all the major work is assigned to you because nobody else knows how to do it, so you end up with a team of 4 people barely doing any work and one person carrying the load. On top of that, now that they have more time those people create meetings and power point presentations to show off all the great work that is being done...all the great work that is yours, but they are taking credit for. After the fourth company where this continued to happen I realized it wasn't going to get better.

I'll back up Shjaney on this, I've seen this happen time and again at major fortune 500s. I also back up staffsy77 and vc7777's point of view. It's not all bad but I'd say but the best years of an engineer's career are the first ten. I read in another thread that the computer industry has no lobbying that goes for it, that guy who posted it was arguing with me and he was kind of right. The place where I worked had no major layoffs so job security was very high, but as a result you got a lot of situations like what Shjaney described. There's other problems like what staffsy77 described, but not only is there continual supply from new graduates, but there is large corporate lobbying claiming there aren't enough engineers graduating and asking for more permission to hire foreign labor at a fraction of the cost of domestic labor. The MBA's are doing a lot of damage to the profession and there is a lot of "big dollar" thinking that we can eventually just be a nation of mba's that hire foreign labor to design, manufacture and produce our products. What usually fixes this is a lot of small companies that then eat the lunch of the newly inefficient big companies, but the barrier of entry for new companies is extremely high now.

EDIT: this is not why I quit for medicine though, that will be upcoming :p

Last edited:
I am an engineer and work at one of the largest healthcare provider in the U.S. To be honest, I love what I do. I directly work with physicians and visit a medical center once a week. I understand their problem, define their goals and work with my team to analyze & solve them. I love when physicians tell me that this solution will save patient's life.

I always wanted to be a doctor but both immigration system and not being eligible for loans made me move in another direction. I went to engineering school and became a System Engineer. I joined a Healthcare company, got 3 promotions in 20 months and became a project manager for a medical group. I am one of those lucky engineers who really enjoy his/her job and directly have impact on patient's life.

Once a while, I still want to quit my job and go to medical school to be a doctor but I believe like I will not be able to afford it. Right now, I have a wife, have a mortgage and car loans. I wish there was an easier way or program to be a doctor but it seems like I will never be able to make it happen!

I stumbled across this thread, and thought it was interesting. I am electrical engineer but have been doing software for almost my entire career. I 'retired' a couple years ago at 46.

At first I thought engineering was a fun job. I liked to create things, and being very introverted it seemed like a good fit. Now, I wish I had done something else. I always wonder if I should have gone into the medical field instead.

When I started, I assumed (perhaps naively) that engineers were regarded as professionals and valued team members. Maybe we even were back then. Now, at least at the big companies, we are just expensive blue-collar labor. I became an engineer because I liked to solve problems. Big business doesn't care about solving problems, just making their numbers.

There is very little value placed on experience. The constantly accelerating change in technology means everything you know is obsolete in just a few years. Hiring managers take the position of 'I don't care that you have 20+ years of experience, the technology is only 3 years old'. You get tired and burnt out constantly having to reinvent yourself. The stress of deadlines perpetually hanging over your head. Now, everybody wants to do 'agile' development processes, which in my experience is just a politically correct way of saying 'micromanaged'.

I've always wondered if the medical field would have been better, to actually be able to directly help people and directly see the results of your work. As you get older, medical professionals seem to be respected for their experience. As an engineer gets older, he is considered washed up and thrown out. At my last company an older engineer (60) who was a friend of mine was told at his last review 'you are too old for this, you need to find something else to do'.

At my age I doubt it is worth while going back to school. 10 years of school would cost big $$$, I would be in my mid 50's, so I would basically have no time left for a career.

I read articles about how a lot (I don't know what portion) of older/experienced can't wait to retire. Apparently the medical insurance industry has ruined the medical profession, and obamacare has made it worse. My own doctor worked at a small private practice with 5 doctors. They sold out to the local hospital because they didn't want to deal with obamacare. My sister's doctor has to go through 1 more 10 year certification interval, then hopes to retire before the next interval.

I have a BS and an MS in civil engineering. I never had much exposure to medicine growing up and never even considered going into it. After college, a family member of mine was diagnosed with cancer and her doctor was amazing. The way she touched my family, by just doing her job made me look into a career in medicine. Meanwhile I have worked for two different companies trying to find something suitable, but I have come to the conclusion that the engineering field is not suited for me. Interesting projects are few and far between, cubicles suck, and I have at least 1000 bosses (probably more). Got to love Corporate America! :love:

Me also, BS and MS in civil engineering, been in field for 7 years, don't like the male dominance, cubicle, no social atmosphere, and 99% of my day communicating with a computer. I slowly feel my brain deteriorating, and a field that is full of socialization, communication with people, teaching, research, and practicing all packed into one day based around science and the many unkown issues of the human body...way way way better.

Are there any people who have left engineering and are now attending that can say whether or not it was worth it? Was leaving engineering/desk jobs just a case of the grass is always greener or are you happier now that you're working with and helping people? Do you ever miss engineering? Did you consider any other fields besides medicine that would allow you to get out of the office and help people?

I'm 30 and have worked in the software field since graduating. I'm beginning to feel bored at work and I'm not sure if I can sit at a desk for the rest of my life. The only field I can think of that would allow the challenge of using my brain and hands is in medicine. I'm sure I'm just romanticizing the idea of being a doctor and I should do some volunteer work to knock the fantasy out of my head and get my feet back in reality. I've got some friends who are ED physicians and I hear them tell stories and it sounds like they've got some amazing experiences. But on the flip side I hear how stressful it is having to deal with the schedule, patients and regulations/paperwork. They say I'm lucky to have my weekends and that boring is good, at least I have a window in my office. But they've never sat at a desk for 40+ hrs a week on end. I'd like to get perspective from someone who has been on both sides.