Why do Anesthesiologists get paid so much?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Speaking from my shoes, a dude with 13 years private practice experience,

I don't even know where to start addressing the issues in this thread.

So I'm gonna make a Patron margarita instead.:laugh:

All I'll say to you, Slim, is I hope you're six-foot-four sporting at least 275 lbs with NO MORE THAN seven percent body fat.

Cuz thats what its gonna take to back up naive, flagrant posts from a college student here.

P.S. Theres NO WAY you can "know" a certain medical specialty is "for you" when you're in college unless you're planning on going into practice with your dad.

Are you saying...it would take a fight, to bring justice into this forum? Of all people, a doctor is bringing this out of such context. You guys seriously need a reality check and quit thinking everyone is out for you. You're accusing me of being what I am. An uneducated, ignorant college kid looking for an answer to give me a general idea on what I want to do.

I've never been given criticism for gathering information about something I'm interested in for AND bringing the thought of fighting into the same comment. Are all doctors this ridiculous?

Members don't see this ad.

He also wrote of the "occassional 15 hour day". That's brutal.

Columbia is pretty sweet. We had 26 residents in our class, with 22-24 in EACH of the classes behind me by graduation. That leads to a pretty sweet call schedule! It's a great program. Plenty of OR time. Plenty of big cases. Lots of autonomy and leadership opportunities. Plenty of time for independent study... or watching sports in the lounge with the attendings. Cardiac, OB, peds, and ICU rotations are all painful in their own special way, but the chillness of general OR months, or pain breaks that up.

Congrats to those who matched this year. It's a good experience.

Are you saying...it would take a fight, to bring justice into this forum? Of all people, a doctor is bringing this out of such context. You guys seriously need a reality check and quit thinking everyone is out for you. You're accusing me of being what I am. An uneducated, ignorant college kid looking for an answer to give me a general idea on what I want to do.

I've never been given criticism for gathering information about something I'm interested in for AND bringing the thought of fighting into the same comment. Are all doctors this ridiculous?

Just forget about medicine - after I read your posts I do believe that you are really ignorant. I don't think that you'll be happy beeing an MD and I would guess that you had some traumatic experiences in the past. Also I would guess that you are not really fit and medicine is a demanding field. Please let me know if you need a letter of rec. - more than happy to help.
:smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad :)

Let's see. You came on to this forum and implied that our profession would be easy to learn. You implied that we get paid way too much. You implied that we read the paper while everyone else works. You admitted that you really wanted to be in this profession but confessed that you have no idea what we do. You gave everyone here the impression that you are interested because you want something easy that gets paid a lot.
Take that same scenario and apply it to a conversation with someone in any profession. Would you walk up to a plumber and imply that he has a pretty sweet deal because he gets paid way more than he is worth and that his job is so much easier to learn than anything else? Maybe you would, but I wouldn't. You may not have intended this thread to go down this path, but you are the one who led it there. Probably because you didn't even realize how offensive all of your implications are. Nonetheless, that is not our fault. You have responded with disrespect and anger when your motives and judgements have been questioned.
Forgive us if we don't care to recruit any more lifestylers into our specialty. Based on your posts, I don't think anyone here would be sad if you chose a different specialty.

Let's see. You came on to this forum and implied that our profession would be easy to learn. You implied that we get paid way too much. You implied that we read the paper while everyone else works. You admitted that you really wanted to be in this profession but confessed that you have no idea what we do. You gave everyone here the impression that you are interested because you want something easy that gets paid a lot.
Take that same scenario and apply it to a conversation with someone in any profession. Would you walk up to a plumber and imply that he has a pretty sweet deal because he gets paid way more than he is worth and that his job is so much easier to learn than anything else? Maybe you would, but I wouldn't. You may not have intended this thread to go down this path, but you are the one who led it there. Probably because you didn't even realize how offensive all of your implications are. Nonetheless, that is not our fault. You have responded with disrespect and anger when your motives and judgements have been questioned.
Forgive us if we don't care to recruit any more lifestylers into our specialty. Based on your posts, I don't think anyone here would be sad if you chose a different specialty.

Well, I suppose I should apologize for the HUGE misunderstanding. I told you that I was coming in with a serious question, not a statement. I know what Anesthesiologist do (in general) and I know it is not easy, and requires complete knowledge of pharmacology and the human anatomy and physiology. That is not easy. Especially when you are only as good as the medicine you use.

I was also being sarcastic when I said the thing about the newspaper, since that is a huge stereotype. And also, I don't see why you all don't comprehend that I was saying that Anesthesiology is something I would be better at, say, then studying people with heart problems. I'd be BETTER at it. Not saying it is easier.

I ask for a peace treaty, for you all have mistaken my intentions in every way. I'd like to continue posting here in peace.

I ask for a peace treaty, for you all have mistaken my intentions in every way. I'd like to continue posting here in peace.

The internet is a tricky thing. It is difficult to interpret sarcasm and true intentions at times. It also allows people to react with anger, disrespect, and cursing without fear of retribution in this anonymous forum. I do my best to post only stuff that I would say face to face to someone. Maybe I have not always been successful at that, but I try.

So, with that being said, I also apologize if I, along with most of the other posters here, misinterpreted your intentions. I hope you are able to find out the information you need. However, like someone else mentioned, it is probably way too early to be set on a specific specialty. You have so much information to gather and experiences to be had. I suspect you will change your mind at least once or twice. Best of luck to you.

Out of the 90 candidates that I participated in the interview process for my program's anesthesia spots, only a fraction made that same mistakes you have made on the forum. They just did not have clear answers to explain their interests in the field. Consequently, none of these candidates where ranked. This question will surface in your med-school interview (What specialty do you want to pursue? or Why do want to enter the field of medicine?) This question can make or break the interview. Botch this question and no matter how high your MCAT or USMLE scores are you will not get in. This is a teaching point for you.:) We were all ignorant pre-meds at one point. We are all still currently at some stage of ignorance.

Out of the 90 candidates that I participated in the interview process for my program's anesthesia spots, only a fraction made that same mistakes you have made on the forum. They just did not have clear answers to explain their interests in the field. Consequently, none of these candidates where ranked. This question will surface in your med-school interview (What specialty do you want to pursue? or Why do want to enter the field of medicine?) This question can make or break the interview. Botch this question and no matter how high your MCAT or USMLE scores are you will not get in. This is a teaching point for you.:) We were all ignorant pre-meds at one point. We are all still currently at some stage of ignorance.

... and always will be. A lot of people forget that. Somehow the smartest, wisest ones never do.

-copro

Some people have that with no 3 weekends off a month..

Is that how your program is? I've never, ever had a 15 hour day. Cardiac came close, rarely, but since we follow the 10 hour rule, that limits us to 14 hours (start at 5, have to leave by 7). And, I usually have 3 weekends. ICU excepted, of course.

The internet is a tricky thing. It is difficult to interpret sarcasm and true intentions at times. It also allows people to react with anger, disrespect, and cursing without fear of retribution in this anonymous forum. I do my best to post only stuff that I would say face to face to someone. Maybe I have not always been successful at that, but I try.

So, with that being said, I also apologize if I, along with most of the other posters here, misinterpreted your intentions. I hope you are able to find out the information you need. However, like someone else mentioned, it is probably way too early to be set on a specific specialty. You have so much information to gather and experiences to be had. I suspect you will change your mind at least once or twice. Best of luck to you.

Sometimes that's what it takes to get someone to realize that they're making a bad choice, or realize something about themselves they weren't aware of before.

Happiness and sunshine only take you so far, and that stays on the outside. Just like a previous poster said, say he had already applied to med school without posting this and was going on interviews, he would've screwed the pooch on so many different levels. Sure, the interviewer would be congenial and he'd leave feeling good, but the interviewer would be thinking alone the same lines a lot of people in this thread have.

Not to mention that in the hospital a lot of things will be said to your face that ordinarily wouldn't be said to your face outside of the hospital, pretty much without a fear of retribution.

Ok, so I am not a doctor. I have no ambition to be a physician, and personally, I really couldn't care an less about your personal problems. I started reading this forum with the hopes of gaining insight conceptually on how to increase the quality of life for anesthesiologists while lowering your turn over rates within my hospital. It's funny to me, while I walk around with a briefcase full of redundant paperwork; and while I rott my eyes out daily looking at computer screens trying to do Hospital HR tasks.. I typically think to myself when im walking through the hallways, wow, you know these docs are some smart guys, some truly gifted individuals doing great things. I have respect for you. But then I come in and read garbage forums like the one this turned into. Every one of you should go draw an X on a wall and smash your faces into it until the stress that covers the humanity is beaten away. You are all hyper intellegent individuals who obviously care about human life acting like idiot monkies attacking a digital representation of someone who was coming to you for advice. This whole thread is absolutly pathetic and disgraceful. Shame on you all for implying you're professionals while needlessly bashing on someones attempt to learn from you. Furthermore, when it became apparent that the person you were bashing had stopped responding, you started bashing on each other by comparing who works harder! STFU! Enough said.

ok, so i am not a doctor. I have no ambition to be a physician, and personally, i really couldn't care an less about your personal problems. I started reading this forum with the hopes of gaining insight conceptually on how to increase the quality of life for anesthesiologists while lowering your turn over rates within my hospital. It's funny to me, while i walk around with a briefcase full of redundant paperwork; and while i rott my eyes out daily looking at computer screens trying to do hospital hr tasks.. I typically think to myself when im walking through the hallways, wow, you know these docs are some smart guys, some truly gifted individuals doing great things. I have respect for you. But then i come in and read garbage forums like the one this turned into. Every one of you should go draw an x on a wall and smash your faces into it until the stress that covers the humanity is beaten away. You are all hyper intellegent individuals who obviously care about human life acting like idiot monkies attacking a digital representation of someone who was coming to you for advice. This whole thread is absolutly pathetic and disgraceful. Shame on you all for implying you're professionals while needlessly bashing on someones attempt to learn from you. Furthermore, when it became apparent that the person you were bashing had stopped responding, you started bashing on each other by comparing who works harder! Stfu! Enough said.

:-o
:p

Ok, so I am not a doctor. I have no ambition to be a physician, and personally, I really couldn't care an less about your personal problems. I started reading this forum with the hopes of gaining insight conceptually on how to increase the quality of life for anesthesiologists while lowering your turn over rates within my hospital. It's funny to me, while I walk around with a briefcase full of redundant paperwork; and while I rott my eyes out daily looking at computer screens trying to do Hospital HR tasks.. I typically think to myself when im walking through the hallways, wow, you know these docs are some smart guys, some truly gifted individuals doing great things. I have respect for you. But then I come in and read garbage forums like the one this turned into. Every one of you should go draw an X on a wall and smash your faces into it until the stress that covers the humanity is beaten away. You are all hyper intellegent individuals who obviously care about human life acting like idiot monkies attacking a digital representation of someone who was coming to you for advice. This whole thread is absolutly pathetic and disgraceful. Shame on you all for implying you're professionals while needlessly bashing on someones attempt to learn from you. Furthermore, when it became apparent that the person you were bashing had stopped responding, you started bashing on each other by comparing who works harder! STFU! Enough said.

really? bumping a 6 month old thread for your first post? sounds like you're the original poster.........

Speaking from my shoes, a dude with 13 years private practice experience,

I don't even know where to start addressing the issues in this thread.

So I'm gonna make a Patron margarita instead.:laugh:

All I'll say to you, Slim, is I hope you're six-foot-four sporting at least 275 lbs with NO MORE THAN seven percent body fat.

Cuz thats what its gonna take to back up naive, flagrant posts from a college student here.
I must say I had no idea the physicality of anesthesiologists raised the bar to this level.