Why do Dental Schools not allow DAT scores after 3 year, but they have no time limit on classes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dfgdfgdsfgdsfg

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So basically the question is in the title. By using the logic of a DAT score that's 3 years or older is not valid and not a current representation of your current knowledge, why do dental schools still average in classes that have been repeated; or are more than, lets say 5 years old. My situation is this, I graduated with a low GPA in undergrad(2.7), did an informal post bacc redoing all my O-Chems, Biology Courses(Upper and Lower Division), and my G-Chems. My GPA in my retaken classes is a 3.5, but calling every dental school, they really do not care and they still just look at the GPA AADSAS provides. I am also in a master's program right now and most dental schools tell me that my master's GPA will also be averaged in to my overall GPA. I get it, I'm sorry I did bad in undergrad(2006-2010), but I have spent the last 4 years trying my best to repair the damage. Shouldn't dental schools look at current knowledge regardless of how long it took to get to that level? That's the logic they use for the DAT right? Somebody, please help me understand this. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
-

Last edited:
So basically the question is in the title. By using the logic of a DAT score that's 3 years or older is not valid and not a current representation of your current knowledge, why do dental schools still average in classes that have been repeated; or are more than, lets say 5 years old. My situation is this, I graduated with a low GPA in undergrad(2.7), did an informal post bacc redoing all my O-Chems, Biology Courses(Upper and Lower Division), and my G-Chems. My GPA in my retaken classes is a 3.5, but calling every dental school, they really do not care and they still just look at the GPA AADSAS provides. I am also in a master's program right now and most dental schools tell me that my master's GPA will also be averaged in to my overall GPA. I get it, I'm sorry I did bad in undergrad(2006-2010), but I have spent the last 4 years trying my best to repair the damage. Shouldn't dental schools look at current knowledge regardless of how long it took to get to that level? That's the logic they use for the DAT right? Somebody, please help me understand this. :)

Try spending 3 years full-time and getting a 4.0 in a new degree and still having to apply with a 3.14 sGPA and 3.25 GPA. And, oh yes, my 2.7 is from 1999. The good news is that schools do look at your whole application, and some even take notice of improvement and upward trends in your GPA. I don't believe for a second that my poor performance from years ago has much bearing on my ability to learn difficult material in ds. I have grown into a driven, mature person, very different from what I was, and I have done everything I can to prove it. All the same, I don't see an easy way to solve the problem. When do you discount old grades? After 5 years, 7, 10? Or do you go by hours?
It sucks, but that is the way the system works, and we just have to do our best to shine despite the baggage.

Reactions: 1 user