Why do I want to be a dentist? HELP!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

XEric CartmanX

Eric Cartman
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I'm applying to dental schools this cycle, and I'm the process of writing my personal statement. My reasons for wanting to be a dentist are very simple: I like the type of work, I like the pay, and I like the 9-5 schedule. I feel like it's a career that I can live with and be good at. However, my reasons are not good enough in the eyes of the admission committees. Are there any dental students here? If yes, what were your reasons for wanting dentistry? Why dentistry over medicine?

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

They WILL ask you that question by the way at some point. I was asked this question in my interview. I was just honest and talked about my experiences as a child, my shadowing experience, and later on my evaluation of the career and myself as an adult. I basically described why I thought the job fit me and why I thought I fit it.

I'm pretty sure you don't have to have a unique and amazing story. Not many people do, I think. Just be genuine, and talk about your experiences. Talk about why you like dentistry for dentistry (and not for extrinsic motivations). By the way, you probably already know this, but do not mention things like salary and 9-5 schedule.

As for the "why dentistry over medicine" question, I don't see how that's relevant unless you were pre-med before. But if you were pre-med at one point, I'd definitely talk about why you switched. And bet on it, they'll ask you about that in the interview too.

Reactions: 1 users
They WILL ask you that question by the way at some point. I was asked this question in my interview. I was just honest and talked about my experiences as a child, my shadowing experience, and later on my evaluation of the career and myself as an adult. I basically described why I thought the job fit me and why I thought I fit it.

I'm pretty sure you don't have to have a unique and amazing story. Not many people do, I think. Just be genuine, and talk about your experiences. Talk about why you like dentistry for dentistry (and not for extrinsic motivations). By the way, you probably already know this, but do not mention things like salary and 9-5 schedule.

As for the "why dentistry over medicine" question, I don't see how that's relevant unless you were pre-med before. But if you were pre-med at one point, I'd definitely talk about why you switched. And bet on it, they'll ask you about that in the interview too.

You are awesome! Thanks for replying.

I was actually a premed, but after volunteering in both hospitals and dental clinics, I realized that I liked the dental office environment a lot more. It's more fun, playful and easygoing environment.

So, did you get in?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I mentioned that I have a lot of hobbies that involve my hands - tying my own flies for fishing, playing several instruments, woodworking, etc. I am also a techie, I love technology, and the technology in dentistry is friggin' awesome! Periolase, CEREC, cone beam CT, etc.

I wouldn't mention that you like the 9-5 schedule. Instead, say that you like creating your own work schedule. That way, it doesn't sound like you'll ignore after-hour emergency calls, or that you aren't thinking of the patients that can't come in during work hours.

I did not say "I want to help people" because that is the most "I'm saying what you want to hear" BS answer in the history of interviews. Towards the end of my answer, after mentioning all the other things I like, I said that "and after all, it is a career that helps people. So I like that I will be able to drive home after work, feeling good about myself."

This was the first question at my Maryland interview. It is a critical question, no doubt. Be honest, and be genuine. the reply above mine is dead on.

Last edited:
I mentioned that I have a lot of hobbies that involve my hands - tying my own flies for fishing, playing several instruments, woodworking, etc. I am also a techie, I love technology, and the technology in dentistry is friggin' awesome! Periolase, CEREC, cone beam CT, etc.

I wouldn't mention that you like the 9-5 schedule. Instead, say that you like creating your own work schedule. That way, it doesn't sound like you'll ignore after-hour emergency calls, or that you aren't thinking of the patients that can't come in during work hours.

I did not say "I want to help people" because that is the most "I'm saying what you want to hear" BS answer in the history of interviews. Towards the end of my answer, after mentioning all the other things I like, I said that "and after all, it is a career that helps people. So I like that I will be able to drive home after work, feeling good about myself."

Have you always been good with your hands? The problem is that I don't have any hobbies that require using my hands, and that's killing me. I have a 4.0 GPA and I'm positive I'll get a good score on the DAT. I'm good with science. I've have shadowing and volunteer experience, but I have NOTHING to show for regarding dexterity. I don't play any instruments or sports that involve good hand-eye coordination. Do you think that will hurt my chances? Most of the dentists I've spoke to have an artistic side to them, and I'm afraid that I'm not like them.

Do you think that what they'll teach me in dental school is good enough for me to be a good dentist (dexterity wise)? OR should I just give up and go into medicine? lol

There is generally no way for committees to know you were a pre-med prior to switching to pre-dent, as it doesn't show up on your transcript and the coursework is basically the same. Just make sure you don't throw in stuff about shadowing doctors or being in a premed club and they'll be none the wiser.

There is generally no way for committees to know you were a pre-med prior to switching to pre-dent, as it doesn't show up on your transcript and the coursework is basically the same. Just make sure you don't throw in stuff about shadowing doctors or being in a premed club and they'll be none the wiser.

I think it's obvious from my volunteer experience. I started off volunteering in a nursing center, then a hospital, and then I became an EMT. :D

I think it's obvious from my volunteer experience. I started off volunteering in a nursing center, then a hospital, and then I became an EMT. :D
That fits with a narrative of you wanting to help better the lives of people. None of them necessarily screams "premed" at all. I've got plenty of friends that aren't even involved in medicine that have such activities on their resumes.

That fits with a narrative of you wanting to help better the lives of people. None of them necessarily screams "premed" at all. I've got plenty of friends that aren't even involved in medicine that have such activities on their resumes.

Did I mentioned you how awesome you are? :D

I was thinking of saying the same thing. Thanks!

Have you always been good with your hands? The problem is that I don't have any hobbies that require using my hands, and that's killing me. I have a 4.0 GPA and I'm positive I'll get a good score on the DAT. I'm good with science. I've have shadowing and volunteer experience, but I have NOTHING to show for regarding dexterity. I don't play any instruments or sports that involve good hand-eye coordination. Do you think that will hurt my chances? Most of the dentists I've spoke to have an artistic side to them, and I'm afraid that I'm not like them.

Do you think that what they'll teach me in dental school is good enough for me to be a good dentist (dexterity wise)? OR should I just give up and go into medicine? lol

Several of my classmates claim not to have dexterity, but it is amazing how much you can improve in dental school. I don't think it will hurt your chances, but if you can pick something up now - anything, you may be able to improve by the time you interview.

To add on with Mad Jack, I work in a hospital as a security guard. That would easily lend itself toward medical school, but I framed it by showing how I was able to develop skills that dentists need - people skills, communication, professionalism, helping people, etc. As long as you say things the right way, you can make anything work to your advantage.

Several of my classmates claim not to have dexterity, but it is amazing how much you can improve in dental school. I don't think it will hurt your chances, but if you can pick something up now - anything, you may be able to improve by the time you interview.

Yes, I'm thinking about picking up a hobby. I have a guitar in my room that has been sitting there for ages. I'll pick that up and see how it goes, unless you have a better idea.

Thank you!

To add on with Mad Jack, I work in a hospital as a security guard. That would easily lend itself toward medical school, but I framed it by showing how I was able to develop skills that dentists need - people skills, communication, professionalism, helping people, etc. As long as you say things the right way, you can make anything work to your advantage.

Yes, I'll say that I did to be well rounded and to develop necessary skills that will make me a better dentist. :D

Volunteering simply means giving your time to serve others. It means you care about people. That to me doesn't scream "pre-med" but rather tells me you are a genuine and compassionate person.

Volunteering simply means giving your time to serve others. It means you care about people. That to me doesn't scream "pre-med" but rather tells me you are a genuine and compassionate person.

Oh, stop it youuuuuuuu :D :D