Why do med schools give need based scholarships?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I don't believe that this is a n=1 case. Maybe with 400K a year this dad should be helping with undergraduate, but not necessarily medical school. I know people with families with income in the 125K-150K range that help nothing with undergraduate. Whats "rich?" 150K? 250K? Also, I find it annoying that you label these people "rich kids". You know your own kids will be snotty rich kids then, so be careful how you label. I think Drowning in Work will end up with the same work ethic as his dad and I hope it works out for him.
In my experience, my dad paid for his own medical school and I would never expect him to pay for mine on top of that. He will be helping me, but just enough for cost of living. Tuition is the big killer. Why do people assume that doctors have to put their own kids through medical school? All med students will end up with the same ability to repay loans, but only those who are "poor" will get to graduate with less to pay back. So just remember, if you have to take loans out for medical school, you'll later be considered a "rich" doctor and have to turn around and pay for medical school again.

We've discussed this a lot but it's not about whether or not parents choose or are expected to contribute to a student's education. It's about their capability to do so.

Members don't see this ad.

I got decent need-based aid at pretty much all of my accepted schools... as far as I can tell, I got the max or close to it at every school. My household income (myself + parents) is ~70K . It will be ~50K next year when I no longer work a gap year job.
How much grant did you get? Mine is 23K so I was just wondering how much I will get.