Why do nurses and pharmacists talk so fast when giving scripts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ldiot

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to take transfers and new scripts as an intern and it's like a contest to see who can talk the fastest.

And the CVS system is not seeming very friendly... do I have to re-enter the pharmacy information for each script or is there a way to do multiple scripts in one go?

Also if I am transferring scripts from the profile is there a way to see the goddamn rx number once I have already started the transfer?

Is there an easy way to pull up a hardcopy when doing a transfer when the other pharmacist is asking if the script says albuterol inhaler as opposed to a specific brand? Or to see if they wrote for a specific multivitamin or if we just chose some random one off the shelf?

Also if you are transferring an on-hold shouldn't you pull up the hard copy seeing as the data entry hasn't been verified?

Also what info do I actually have to fill in when it asks for the other pharmacy info? If I actually tried to fill all of that crap out I would get hung up on. And why do pharmacists get so agitated when I ask for something so simple as the prescriber's phone number? Do they not need anything more than their name at other chains to pull them up in their computer?

And lastly, since I'm on my rant, if the CVS computer says "Original refills 12, refills remaining 10" that means the other pharmacy is getting 1+ 9 correct? I was getting confused because if a script originally had 12 refills plus the initial fill it would be 13 total fills which seemed unusual. Am I looking at this correctly?

What if the doctor writes for 30 pills with 1 refills and we dispense 10 pills but have to transfer it. What do we tell them? Written for 30 tablets with 50 tablets remaining? How the hell would they get that in their computer?

If anyone actually answers all of these I'll love you

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm trying to take transfers and new scripts as an intern and it's like a contest to see who can talk the fastest.
It is. You're losing!
And the CVS system is not seeming very friendly... do I have to re-enter the pharmacy information for each script or is there a way to do multiple scripts in one go?
IIRC, it will prompt you when you finish a transfer if there is another one or not. If you say yes, part of the data is autocompleted.
Also if I am transferring scripts from the profile is there a way to see the goddamn rx number once I have already started the transfer?
I think it's on the right side in a little box with your DEA number?
Is there an easy way to pull up a hardcopy when doing a transfer when the other pharmacist is asking if the script says albuterol inhaler as opposed to a specific brand? Or to see if they wrote for a specific multivitamin or if we just chose some random one off the shelf?
Nope.
Also if you are transferring an on-hold shouldn't you pull up the hard copy seeing as the data entry hasn't been verified?
Yes and no. You should pull or print the hard copy, but then you should just fax it and not bother with the transfer.
Also what info do I actually have to fill in when it asks for the other pharmacy info? If I actually tried to fill all of that crap out I would get hung up on. And why do pharmacists get so agitated when I ask for something so simple as the prescriber's phone number? Do they not need anything more than their name at other chains to pull them up in their computer?
Varies by state. I get the other store's name, number, address, phone, NPI or DEA (DEA for controls if allowed by your state), pharmacist's first name and last initial, and the name of the person I'm talking to. For prescriber I get the name spelled, and either the DEA, NPI or phone number (DEA for controls if allowed by your state). By throwing a few options out there, they can give me whatever piece of info is easiest for them to get, and I can look them up with any of those.
And lastly, since I'm on my rant, if the CVS computer says "Original refills 12, refills remaining 10" that means the other pharmacy is getting 1+ 9 correct? I was getting confused because if a script originally had 12 refills plus the initial fill it would be 13 total fills which seemed unusual. Am I looking at this correctly?
Yes.
What if the doctor writes for 30 pills with 1 refills and we dispense 10 pills but have to transfer it. What do we tell them? Written for 30 tablets with 50 tablets remaining? How the hell would they get that in their computer?
Yes. CVS allows you to enter a different number for fill qty and refill qty, so you can do it there. However, the computer gets weird sometimes if you do that, so I just put it as #50 qty with no refills.
If anyone actually answers all of these I'll love you
<3

Reactions: 2 users
We figure...if a dictation/transcription technician in India can understand us...a pharmacy intern in the US can.

Members don't see this ad :)
When I get a fast talker (huge pet peeve) I start interrupting them and repeating back everything they say. Spelling everything out. "Thats smith? s m I t h? Lisinopril? L I s I n o p r i l?

Also if I get a fast talker they are asked for ever single piece of info I could possibly want. Dea. Npi. Office address. Patient address. Phone numbers. You will not be off the phone with me quicker if you try to speed talk. You should know better.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

When I get a fast talker (huge pet peeve) I start interrupting them and repeating back everything they say. Spelling everything out. "Thats smith? s m I t h? Lisinopril? L I s I n o p r i l?

Also if I get a fast talker they are asked for ever single piece of info I could possibly want. Dea. Npi. Office address. Patient address. Phone numbers. You will not be off the phone with me quicker if you try to speed talk. You should know better.

That's why I just leave a message, no hold time and whatever slow intern transcribes it can hit replay all they want.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Yes. CVS allows you to enter a different number for fill qty and refill qty, so you can do it there. However, the computer gets weird sometimes if you do that, so I just put it as #50 qty with no refills.

When do you use the refill qty field? I always leave it the same as the prescribed qty.

When do you use the refill qty field? I always leave it the same as the prescribed qty.
Take 1 tablet daily for 7 days, then increase to 1 tablet BID

Disp #30 days
Refills 5

Reactions: 1 user
Clearly you never watched Sonic X.

It is. You're losing!

IIRC, it will prompt you when you finish a transfer if there is another one or not. If you say yes, part of the data is autocompleted.

I think it's on the right side in a little box with your DEA number?

Nope.

Yes and no. You should pull or print the hard copy, but then you should just fax it and not bother with the transfer.

Varies by state. I get the other store's name, number, address, phone, NPI or DEA (DEA for controls if allowed by your state), pharmacist's first name and last initial, and the name of the person I'm talking to. For prescriber I get the name spelled, and either the DEA, NPI or phone number (DEA for controls if allowed by your state). By throwing a few options out there, they can give me whatever piece of info is easiest for them to get, and I can look them up with any of those.

Yes.

<3

Thanks, this helps a lot. It also gets frustrating when the other person on the line assumes you've been a pharmacist for 30 years and have their phone number and zip code memorized and know the name of every doctor in a 50 mile radius.

Last edited:
People are busy with things to do... just repeat everything back at the end and double check that you got it correct (do this please)...

I have all the time in the world. I'll just repeat it back to you at the same speed until you get it.

"Thats smith? s m I t h? Lisinopril? L I s I n o p r i l?
Amateur. Try...
Sierra
Mic
India
Tango
Hotel
Lima
India
Sierra
India
November
Oscar
Papa
Romeo
India
Lima

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Amateur. Try...
Sierra
Mic
India
Tango
Hotel
Lima
India
Sierra
India
November
Oscar
Papa
Romeo
India
Lima

I did that once and the idiot I talked to didn't know wtf I was trying to do.

"Delta who?"

:::slaps forehead:::

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Amateur. Try...
Sierra
Mic
India
Tango
Hotel
Lima
India
Sierra
India
November
Oscar
Papa
Romeo
India
Lima

Yes! I am totally using this tomorrow. I had a voicemail today with 4 scripts left in 29 seconds. No birthdate. No callback number. No quantities or refills. I hate phoned in rxs so much.

Because we have **** to do.

I was going to write the same thing.

I have sh** to do. Why are you calling me for a transfer? Just call the doctor's office for a new prescription. You know the pharmacy on the other end doesn't want to give you the transfer if it's an independent, or doesn't want to give it to you because they have work to do at a chain ... And you know you hate calling for it.

Just call the damn doctor's office.

I was going to write the same thing.

I have sh** to do. Why are you calling me for a transfer? Just call the doctor's office for a new prescription. You know the pharmacy on the other end doesn't want to give you the transfer if it's an independent, or doesn't want to give it to you because they have work to do at a chain ... And you know you hate calling for it.

Just call the damn doctor's office.
Your doctors offices answer/respond? Weird.

You find it easier to get a new script than a transfer?!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using SDN mobile

From mail order? Absolutely. The days I work in the outpatient clinic are the worst because those transfers take nearly an hour.

Yes! I am totally using this tomorrow. I had a voicemail today with 4 scripts left in 29 seconds. No birthdate. No callback number. No quantities or refills. I hate phoned in rxs so much.

I'd be half tempted to just delete it and pretend it never happened but this does make me wonder why people even bother phoning in scripts when they can just eScribe them?

And as far as transfer vs getting a new script how in the world is getting a new script easier? I feel like my faxes for refill requests go into the trash half of the time... sometimes they literally fax the refill requests back blank. Obviously you will have better luck calling them but you can't call the office for a new script at 8 pm when someone decides they are going to wait in the store (which seems to happen daily).

Last edited:
I'd be half tempted to just delete it and pretend it never happened but this does make me wonder why people even bother phoning in scripts when they can just eScribe them?

And as far as transfer vs getting a new script how in the world is getting a new script easier? I feel like my faxes for refill requests go into the trash half of the time... sometimes they literally fax the refill requests back blank. Obviously you will have better luck calling them but you can't call the office for a new script at 8 pm when someone decides they are going to wait in the store (which seems to happen daily).

I don't do waiter transfers.

What really gets me is when pharmacists call on the Dr. line...

patients do it

I also love it when they leave voicemails

it's just a free for all in retail

even McDonalds has more order

The phone tree says "if you are a doctor or doctor's representative, press 1" - I have a doctorate, even if I never refer to myself as Dr. You want to change your phone tree to say "pharmacists, press 2," then I'll be the first person to use it.

It is easier for you guys to get new scripts than transfers? What world is this? lol...

"I have stuff to do" is probably the laziest excuse that I have ever heard for doing something half assed by the way. You think the pharmacist calling you for a transfer would be twiddling their thumbs otherwise?

I always do the talk back method really clearly and at a pace I'm safe with when receiving a script if I am unsure about any of the information or accuracy of my transcription. If it's something simple and obvious like lisinopril 10 number 30 i po qd 12 refills said quickly I'm more comfortable with that.

I don't personally use the Dr. line because some pharmacists are funny about these things, but if you are in a state where techs cannot do transfers anyways why would you have a problem with it? They are going to ask for the pharmacist anyways and it just wastes everyone's time when the tech has to put them on hold and hand off the call.

Now when patients do it I would be pissed off - same goes for when they request the pharmacist just to ask how many refills they have.

I noticed ins companies use the Dr. line too; usually on prior auths.

I don't personally use the Dr. line because some pharmacists are funny about these things, but if you are in a state where techs cannot do transfers anyways why would you have a problem with it? They are going to ask for the pharmacist anyways and it just wastes everyone's time when the tech has to put them on hold and hand off the call.

Now when patients do it I would be pissed off - same goes for when they request the pharmacist just to ask how many refills they have.

I noticed ins companies use the Dr. line too; usually on prior auths.

In my state techs can do transfers. The only time a pharmacist is truly required on the phone is for counseling / answering questions.

In my state techs can do transfers. The only time a pharmacist is truly required on the phone is for counseling / answering questions.

Now in that situation it's a little more understandable. Can they take new scripts in any states?

Now in that situation it's a little more understandable. Can they take new scripts in any states?
They can in some states when it's identical to a previous prescription.

My state does this. Basically nurse/whoever calls up and says 'authorize more refills, no changes.' It's convenient that the techs can take can of it.

Yea, that would be ok. But letting techs do transfers (well, receiving transfers).....I dunno.

Would be great if techs could take new scripts in my state, but they can't.

However, it's somehow perfectly legal for a janitor or any other staff member of a medical/dental office to call in a new script. ..

Really? If so, why?

This annoys me because the purpose of the PRESCRIBER line is to expedite the process of a person that is intending to give me business, when another pharmacist calls on the prescriber line it is them thinking they are more important than my customers. This is exactly why that when a pharmacist calls on the prescriber line for a transfer they are immediately put on hold and I make sure all other acute work is done first (including scratching the itch on my rear-end), if you call on the correct line to wait your turn, I will address the transfer asap.

1. a) Prescriber lines are direct pharmacist lines, not new prescription lines. I don't know, maybe 50 - 60% of my "prescriber" calls are to ask about a patient's med/fill hx, cancel a med, ask me what med someone's insurance covers (how the fudge should I know? call their PBM or Google their formulary), and other things that don't add to the chain's bottom line....the chain's bottom line, not mine. Which brings me to my next point
b) Chain RPh drone pay is independent of number of transfers ins/outs, so it's not about business/money--it's a matter of professional courtesy
c) Techs can't do transfers in my state, so it only makes sense I'd use the direct pharmacist line when calling for a transfer
2. Your regular customer is visiting my area for whatever reason and needs a refill. Giving me a transfer isn't about me thinking I'm more important than your customer, it's you providing a service for your customer. Like I said, I don't care about getting that one-time lisinopril fill because I get paid for the number of hours I work, not my productivity.

By using the prescriber's line, you are bypassing that pharmacy's ability to triage/prioritize tasks. Transfers are not an acute priority. The prescriber's line is for prescribers. You aren't a prescriber. There is a reason why it isn't just called a direct pharmacist line.

If you want to use that line, go back to med school. Using that line tells the other pharmacist your time/convenience is more important than theirs. Losing business/transferring out a prescription isn't something any pharmacist feels is the number one priority to drop everything that second to do.

Take the extra 20 seconds, be considerate, and call the general pharmacy line so the pharmacist can get to you when they can and doesn't have to immediately run to the phone. Calling direct saves you time, but it is a pain in the ass for the other person. Don't be a ****.

Guys... what number should I call when I'm a pharmacist calling in a new script from an ER? Or making a change because the drug is not covered?

I always call the prescriber line because it saves me time as a professional. I don't make the pharmacist calls clarifying Rx's wait because I know you're busy as well and trying to get the script we sent to you to our patient safely/correctly.

Grow up.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

You are fine calling the prescriber line because you are acting as the agent of the prescriber (and I probably want to talk to you so I can get an annoying patient out of my store). Dufus walgreens pharmacist who can't speak english getting a transfer can use the normal line (and get helped faster because if you use my prescriber line you will get put on hold for excessive time because you can't understand what prescriber means).

Guys... what number should I call when I'm a pharmacist calling in a new script from an ER? Or making a change because the drug is not covered?
Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

Sounds like you're the prescriber in that scenario.

May I humbly suggest the fax line, if not the e-script line?

If you have to call just go to voicemail