why do surgeons hate on obgyn?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
...i say this all the time

Did you enter your PIN number at your ATM machine, too?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
There's an attending who calls it the operative theatre in his op note. Every one. Every time I read his note:

Seems to be more of a European and Military thing.

I've yet to hear a civilian surgeon stateside refer to the OR as a theatre.

Theatre is a british thing and/or a combat thing
Where I'm at they frequently say "need to take this patient to surgery" where surgery is a place aka the OR. Some residents not from this area will say "take to OR", but the attendings from here saw take to surgery.

Members don't see this ad :)
So when we ask for a past surgical history, I'm actually asking the patient about their medical training?

Reactions: 3 users
Not trying to be snarky, just curious. Do you consider Ophthalmologists surgeons?
If you ask certain surgeons on SDN -- unless you're cutting into the abdomen or certain body cavity -- you're not a surgeon. Examples of those who are not -- Mohs surgeons (skin) Ophthalmologists (eye), etc. They consider them to be proceduralists of a discrete organ. To be fair, they've earned that right to designate that word.

I'm not trying to be snarky with any of my responses. As I said way back in this thread, my personal opinion is that I think the whole "surgeon or not a surgeon" thing is silly and simplistic. I've tried to clarify in this thread why the debate exists and why some/many label OBs "not a surgeon".
I think you're the only one here who feels this way. Most surgeons (at least here) don't think Ophthos, etc. are surgeons in the true sense of the word.

So much ego dilatation in this thread.

....see what I did there.

After the divorce and alimony payments, the weekly backstabbings from colleagues during M&M, declining reimbursements, and general pathological working environment, being a surgeon is about the only thing general surgeons have left to stroke their overgrown egos and hence their perception that no one is a real surgeon but them. Some general surgeons even think orthopedic surgeons aren't real surgeons, because we do a lot of instrument ties and drilling.

OBGYNs, ophthos who do C sections and eye operations are all surgeons. No less of surgeons than the orthopedic hand surgeon who does carpal tunnels in his office all day or the vascular surgeon who does laser varicose vein removals all day.

I'm ortho. I think anyone who deliberately cuts and closes skin or some other surface epithelial tissue every week is a surgeon.

Last edited:
After the divorce and alimony payments, the weekly backstabbings from colleagues during M&M, declining reimbursements, and general pathological working environment, being a surgeon is about the only thing general surgeons have left to stroke their overgrown egos and hence their perception that no one is a real surgeon but them. Some general surgeons even think orthopedic surgeons aren't real surgeons, because we do a lot of instrument ties and drilling.
I have never understood this and why it happens. Does Ortho have M&M type conferences also?

I witnessed FAR more backstabbing/general brutality during obgyn M&M compared to surgery.

Reactions: 1 users
So much ego dilatation in this thread.

....see what I did there.
I hate people who use the word dilatation, mainly bc it's the same damn word as dilation.

I hate people who use the word dilatation, mainly bc it's the same damn word as dilation.
In before some surgeon gives you a lesson on noun/verb usage. That said, I fully agree good sir.

In before some surgeon gives you a lesson on noun/verb usage. That said, I fully agree good sir.
Except the antecedent in my sentence for the contraction "it's" is referring to dilatation not people.

Except the antecedent in my sentence for the contraction "it's" is referring to dilatation not people.

Maybe I'm getting whooshed here but I was referring to the fact that some clinicians refer to dilation as the act of dilating and dilatation as the state of being dilated. Noun/verb. Maybe you knew that and upcoming exams are wearing me down...

Maybe I'm getting whooshed here but I was referring to the fact that some clinicians refer to dilation as the act of dilating and dilatation as the state of being dilated. Noun/verb. Maybe you knew that and upcoming exams are wearing me down...
Ah, no. I didn't look at it that closely. Good catch!

I witnessed FAR more backstabbing/general brutality during obgyn M&M compared to surgery.

i liked the part where the attendings kept grilling the resident about what happened when it was clear to everyone that the resident was not the one making all the decisions
i guess it's easier to take potshots against each other when it's not direct

i liked the part where the attendings kept grilling the resident about what happened when it was clear to everyone that the resident was not the one making all the decisions
i guess it's easier to take potshots against each other when it's not direct

Yea, mostly faculty vs residents.