Why do we even have 3 more new pharmacy schools in California?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lisinopril

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't really get it. California is extremely saturated already and why the hell on earth do we need another 3 more new pharmacy schools? Two of these three are vocational schools, by the way. What a freaking joke and disgrace to our profession. In California, we now have total of 12 pharmacy schools!!!!!!!!!!

California Health Sciences University
College of Pharmacy
120 N. Clovis Avenue
Clovis, CA 93612
559-325-3600

West Coast University
School of Pharmacy
590 North Vermont Avenue
Los Angeles, CA 90004
and finally : Chapman University
http://www.chapman.edu/pharmacy/programs/doctor-of-pharmacy/index.aspx

Members don't see this ad.

I don't really get it. California is extremely saturated already and why the hell on earth do we need another 3 more new pharmacy schools? Two of these three are vocational schools, by the way. What a freaking joke and disgrace to our profession. In California, we now have total of 12 pharmacy schools!!!!!!!!!!

California Health Sciences University
College of Pharmacy
120 N. Clovis Avenue
Clovis, CA 93612
559-325-3600

West Coast University
School of Pharmacy
590 North Vermont Avenue
Los Angeles, CA 90004
and finally : Chapman University
http://www.chapman.edu/pharmacy/programs/doctor-of-pharmacy/index.aspx

Why ?? $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ :)

but I am sure you know the answer....

I am actually surprised that there are not yet 110 pharm schools in Cali already.... lol :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
12? wow that's hilarious. i wonder how long it'll be till pharmacy turns into law where students can bargain down tuition and admission standards drop even lower than they are already. Lotta people will be in debt and nothing to seize or collect, wonder what'll happen?

Members don't see this ad :)
12? wow that's hilarious. i wonder how long it'll be till pharmacy turns into law where students can bargain down tuition and admission standards drop even lower than they are already. Lotta people will be in debt and nothing to seize or collect, wonder what'll happen?

I think it is when school No. 200 announces its Pre-Candidate status... you might not have to wait long... we are almost there :)

nothing will happen... worst case scenario, the Fed just has to print a little more money... lol

I think it is when school No. 200 announces its Pre-Candidate status... you might not have to wait long... we are almost there :)

nothing will happen... worst case scenario, the Fed just has to print a little more money... lol

The Fed is a joke. We should get rid of the Fed in the first place. These clowns do nothing but prints money everyday and pretend to fix the economy...Garbage!

That is crazy. Seriously, is everyone who's not a lawyer, going to be a pharmacist now?

Reactions: 1 user
The Fed is a joke. We should get rid of the Fed in the first place. These clowns do nothing but prints money everyday and pretend to fix the economy...Garbage!

Which explains the massive depression we're in today...? lol, I think your tin hat is on too tight.

Which explains the massive depression we're in today...? lol, I think your tin hat is on too tight.

Try reading a little history about the fed. You'll change your mind. We are still in a recession. The top 10% of earners are doing just fine. No tin hats. Just a little truth that's hard for people to handle.

Using https://pharmacyschool.usc.edu/programs/pharmd/pharmdprogram/cost/ and https://pharmacyschool.usc.edu/about/facts/sheet/ (I rounded up because class size starts at 185). Students who are held back will average out the #s.
185 students * $55,350 dollars/student = $10,239,750 per class per year (x 4 current years of students) = $40,959,000 of what's basically certified funds per semester. Use at your own discretion. If you're a business and you net 3% of 40.9 mil, that's 1.22 mil. Likewise, if you are waiting for your dividend... Christmas comes early, every quarter, ever year.

Now, who wants to open a pharmacy school in California with me?

Reactions: 2 users
I can understand the greed of opening more schools, but aren't these new schools having trouble finding rotations?

Hospitals could easily halt the problem of new schools if they simply stopped working with the new schools. That would never happen though because hospitals want to glut the market to bring down pharmacists wages.

I can understand the greed of opening more schools, but aren't these new schools having trouble finding rotations?

Hospitals could easily halt the problem of new schools if they simply stopped working with the new schools. That would never happen though because hospitals want to glut the market to bring down pharmacists wages.
To add to this - we are already decreasing our rotations with our schools as we are adding PGY1 residency spots - every resident we add is 12 rotation spots, and we likely will reduce our student rotation spots by about 4-6 for each resident. As hospitals are increasing their residents, I can see many doing this.

California won't stop until every school has a pharmacy program. Riverside Community College: you're next!