Why do you silly nontrads want to be a doctor? *grin*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LupaCupcake

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
As nontrads, we are often in situations not aimed towards med school and we take great risks and have to work tirelessly while balancing a family just to attempt this dream. So I am curious, why do you want this? Why is this your dream?

For me....
When I received my honorable discharge from the Army, I knew I had to do a career where I could help people, feel needed, make a positive difference and take pride in my work. I have a very "motherly" yet strong personality with people. I looked at a variety of options, but I always knew I had a passion for psych. So I enrolled in psych 101 and some fun prereqs like math and began my journey. I originally aimed for Psychologist, but as my passion and knowledge in this field blossomed I altered that to Psychiatrist. Jump forward in time and I have a psych major/bio minor and I am working bottom of the barrel in a psych hospital as a psychiatric technician. I interacted with a variety of healthcare professionals from therapists to doctors to nurses to PA's etc....I have worked alongside all of it. Im not a tech anymore, I am the patient advocate now. I have learned about many routes in this field and financially I could become very successful in a shorter period of time with less risk if I used some of those routes. Some people would call me ridiculous for not going after one of those, but as logical and critically minded as I am.....I am also very heartfelt.

This made me sit back and look at everything. This made me question what do I really WANT, what is my DREAM and my PASSION. The thought of becoming a Psychiatrist strikes at my heart, I will cry the second I see an acceptance letter to med school. I know how I am and what this means to me, I have no doubt I will start jumping up and down and crying at the same time and feel like I just walked into heaven. It doesn't feel like a job, it feels like a calling to me and although the odds are stacked against me in some ways, in my heart I just know if I don't give up I can make it. It is a deeply rooted passion for me and as a Psychiatrist I will not just do medication management like some of them (that bothers me), I want to be the type of Psychiatrist that genuinely helps the patients, shows empathy and saves lives.

So that is why I want this .

Members don't see this ad.

I wish you all the best in your dream I am continuing the road to take some extra classes and did not apply this year since my spouse will be retiring for military I wanted to wait to next year