Why do you want to be a doctor (poll)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Why do you want to be a doctor?

• Total voters
No, you were and are being disingenuous. I like the environment, which is sterile. Sterile equals clean; I am type A. Could you not reason to that conclusion on your own? Did I really have to spell it out for you? WOW.
I'm pretty sure I would know better than you whether I'm being sincere. I'm sorry if I came across as disingenuous or like I was poking fun at you, or whatever you think I was doing.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm pretty sure I would know better than you whether I'm being sincere. I'm sorry if I came across as disingenuous or like I was poking fun at you, or whatever you think I was doing.
lol

On the topic of discussion, I would like to hear why you want to become a physician. Would you care to share? Or do you have any more questions for me?

Members don't see this ad :)
Leave a comment: Simply for the southern belles and drug cartels (not illegal ones but rather the ones i will prescribe when training is done..like 4+years from now :) )

On the topic of discussion, I would like to hear why you want to become a physician. Would you care to share? Or do you have any more questions for me?
That's kind of a condescending question in an attempt to undermine my intelligence. So, no, I won't humor you.

Reactions: 1 users
My sincere answer to this question:
I want to have a positive impact during my lifetime, and I find science/medicine fascinating, so I find a lot of meaning in the work physicians do. All my personal and professional experiences point me towards medicine, maybe with a side of research.

This is in no way apparent from what you said

A sycophant? Do you know what that word means? Why would I be bootlicking cactus8910?

Really, it seems like you have a large foreign object in a very uncomfortable place, are insecure, and are doing a poor job of presenting yourself as much more intelligent than you are. Nobody was trying to condescend to you, your Highness.
Sycophantic in the sense that you want golf claps by reiterating something an accepted medical student posted, zing. That was quite the extrapolation, you read me like a book. No, I'm actually doing very well, and I think I am representing myself just fine. There is no need for foreign object cliches in this thread.

That's kind of a condescending question in an attempt to undermine my intelligence. So, no, I won't humor you.
That's ironic. You can ask the condescending questions, but not respond to them..

That's ironic. You can ask the condescending questions, but not respond to them..

That time I was being disingenuous. You really need to work on picking up sincerity vs sarcasm.

Reactions: 1 user
Sycophantic in the sense that you want golf claps by reiterating something an accepted medical student posted, zing. That was quite the extrapolation, you read me like a book. No, I'm actually doing very well, and I think I am representing myself just fine. There is no need for foreign object cliches in this thread.

My post was actually calling you out for unnecessary sensitivity and hostility, not just reiterating the mutual curiosity. There's really nothing for you to mount a defense on here, you overreacted to a misinterpreted post, now shut up and move on

My post was actually calling you out for unnecessary sensitivity and hostility, not just reiterating the mutual curiosity. There's really nothing for you to mount a defense on here, you overreacted to a misinterpreted post, now shut up and move on
You want the last word so badly; It's adorable. I didn't mount a defense, yet you're still replying.. Then are you attacking someone undefended? No, no you are not.
#winning

Personally, there are many different reasons as to why I want to be a physician.

As a freshman, I started volunteering at a hospital to fill some free time. There was (and still is) something captivating about the subculture of medicine. The sterility of a hospital, the professionalism, and patient interaction, were some of the more notable qualities that piqued my interest. Eventually I started researching the career to see if I even had a chance. I read into every specialty, shadowed physicians, and volunteered in more departments at the hospital. Also, I learned how long it would take to become a doctor, and to be honest, the competitiveness of it all attracts me even more.
Practicing medicine is also a wonderful opportunity; with an array of specialties, there seems to be a fit for just about anyone. Personally, I have become very drawn to surgery; I think the ability to physically heal an ailment, with almost your bare hands, is something extraordinary. Moreover, the ability to work with a team, to delegate, and to inspire, are other perks of the job.

To recapitulate: the qualities of medicine which allure me are: environment, professionalism, diversity, scientific applications, and the skills to heal another human being.

Calling me out here aren't you? That's kind of a condescending question in an attempt to undermine my intelligence. So, no, I won't humor you. Nice try in an attempt to garner likes though.

No, you were and are being disingenuous. I like the environment, which is sterile. Sterile equals clean; I am type A. Could you not reason to that conclusion on your own? Did I really have to spell it out for you? WOW.

Really? Quit being a sycophant; think for yourself. That was not a sincere query.

I remember the first time I got my hands on a thesaurus too, sparky.

But seriously, let's calm down a little, or a lot. You were asked a completely honest question because why the hell would anyone cite sterility as a reason for wanting to be a doctor?

med school = 4 more years i dont have to get a job? :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
I remember the first time I got my hands on a thesaurus too, sparky.

But seriously, let's calm down a little, or a lot. You were asked a completely honest question because why the hell would anyone cite sterility as a reason for wanting to be a doctor?

Cliche joke about drinking first beer is cliche.
I'm fine, I'm pretty sure the conversation was over.. So what exactly are you doing?
I cited sterility as a factor because I like a shiny, white, clean work environment. How many times do I need to say it lol. Is it that weird, or are you kind of taking it out of context?
Nice try though :rolleyes:

You want the last word so badly; It's adorable. I didn't mount a defense, yet you're still replying.. Then are you attacking someone undefended? No, no you are not.
#winning
I'm fine, I'm pretty sure the conversation was over.. So what exactly are you doing?
I cited sterility as a factor because I like a shiny, white, clean work environment. How many times do I need to say it lol. Is it that weird, or are you kind of taking it out of context?
first-place-at-internet.gif

I don't mean to intrude, but wanted to offer a piece of advice that tends to keep things conflict-free during online discussions - always assume the best in the person who writes a post that can be interpreted multiple ways. It's easy to misread intent on the internet. I'd like to think most people are not sarcastic douche nozzles trying to make you look bad. :p

Apologizing first, even if you don't think you're wrong, tends to help, too. It's tough on the ego, but it works.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
#winning

Oh dear god #cringe

I only hope you entertain your interviewers like this, make sure to tell them you like the sterility of hospitals and call them condescending idiots if they ask you to clarify

Oh dear god #cringe

I only hope you entertain your interviewers like this, make sure to tell them you like the sterility of hospitals and call them condescending idiots if they ask you to clarify
You've said this exact same thing to me before. You somehow took our informal internet conversation and tied it to "the interview." LOL

He was being sarcastic and mocking you, you caught it that time at least, right?
Yes, I know he was being sarcastic lol; I don't care. I had to comment on the reference as an aside, because it's hilarious.

He was being sarcastic and mocking you, you caught it that time at least, right?
But I'm done with you for now @efle . I'll be back on tomorrow morning to toss it up again because you got SeRvEd!!!

I had always wanted to be a doctor. I decided to pursue medicine seriously after the serious illness of a family member of mine.

Because engineering lacks appeal, law school is boring, and the business would is unstable -- I don't like risk.

Because engineering lacks appeal, law school is boring, and the business would is unstable -- I don't like risk.

... how does engineering lack appeal? You enjoy a successful career right out of college, even with a low GPA . And it's fun, lot's of analytical skills, team work, cool robotic projects etc. And medicine wouldn't have come this far had it not been for engineers.

I like find medicine interesting enough to devote my life to it. Applied science is so much more interesting to me than theory, and practicing evidence-based medicine would be a great fit for me IMO.

I don't just want to help people. I also want to cause positive change on a larger scale. Educating all of my patients on how to stay healthy (healthier) after they see me would be my direct way of doing this. I want to make my patients happy and satisfied. Their happiness and gratitude for me helping them is what will keep me going even when things get tough.

The good pay and established job security are also pluses.

Medicine would augment my desire to improve myself every day as well as keep me in the mindset of holding myself and my peers to the highest moral and ethical standards possible.

If you want to bash me for my honest answers, go ahead. Unlike a lot of people, I thrive on all sources of feedback and criticism because feedback and experience are the only ways to truly improve yourself.
When it's been exactly 2 years since younger me wrote this and I laugh at how my answer is different now.

Reactions: 2 users
Cause I would ****ing love a job where I talk to old people 9-4, help them, brighten their day, and have the rest of the day to do whatever I want with obscene amounts of money.

I was thinking about it for a long time, and I remember one of my Uncle's colleagues (surgeon) was grilling me on this in his car.

I knew that I indeed liked medicine because it is an application of science toward healthcare, but he proposed a challenge: you can achieve the same goal that I was describing by say, inventing a vaccine for malaria. You would, by application of science, cure MILLIONS of people. Save the lives of maybe even billions! And yet, this doesn't interest me--I have no passion for wanting to create vaccines, but it perfectly describes my aspirations.

After a few opportunities I had on campus (a program where you learn to facilitate dialogue), I learned that my passion stems not just from the application of science toward healthcare, but the way that a doctor does so through an empathetic bond with the patient. In the example I mentioned previously, creating a vaccine, I would for sure help millions of people, but I would have never met any of them! I am so far "removed" from that 'healing' process, I wouldn't be able to have conversations with them, understand their turmoils etc etc etc.

Medicine to me is contingent on the human aspect too--I want to talk to people, understand them, not just give them a drug to cure them, y'know? There's this empathetic connection through science that's what makes me want to do medicine, and to me it's what makes the field so unique. Perhaps this is slightly greedy of me, but I really value being able to understand people, not just fix them and send them on their way.

Reactions: 2 users
^The gist of what he's saying is true though yeah? Basic science and/or clinical research can help people on a much greater scale. Yet many people, if they didn't go MD, would not be interested in a PhD's career. "Helping people" all by itself doesn't make much sense as the reason to specifically pursue an MD.

Reactions: 4 users
I was thinking about it for a long time, and I remember one of my Uncle's colleagues (surgeon) was grilling me on this in his car.

I knew that I indeed liked medicine because it is an application of science toward healthcare, but he proposed a challenge: you can achieve the same goal that I was describing by say, inventing a vaccine for malaria. You would, by application of science, cure MILLIONS of people. Save the lives of maybe even billions! And yet, this doesn't interest me--I have no passion for wanting to create vaccines, but it perfectly describes my aspirations.

After a few opportunities I had on campus (a program where you learn to facilitate dialogue), I learned that my passion stems not just from the application of science toward healthcare, but the way that a doctor does so through an empathetic bond with the patient. In the example I mentioned previously, creating a vaccine, I would for sure help millions of people, but I would have never met any of them! I am so far "removed" from that 'healing' process, I wouldn't be able to have conversations with them, understand their turmoils etc etc etc.

Medicine to me is contingent on the human aspect too--I want to talk to people, understand them, not just give them a drug to cure them, y'know? There's this empathetic connection through science that's what makes me want to do medicine, and to me it's what makes the field so unique. Perhaps this is slightly greedy of me, but I really value being able to understand people, not just fix them and send them on their way.

one of the better more insightful reasons I've seen on SDN pre-allo

C.R.E.A.M. get the money, dolla dolla bills yall.

All those reasons are good but mostly I just don't want to spend my entire career tethered to a desk and computer screen.

@Ace Khalifa what changed?!?

But even as a surgeon so much of your life as a doc is spent tethered to a desk and computer screen, lol.

Yea I don't have any illusions about the amount of desk work doctors do; but even still hospitals are much more dynamic places to be compared to, say, a cubicle in a bank office.

If nothing else at least the stories your co-workers tell will be more entertaining.

I like biomedical research/science and the human side of things. Plus I don't mind the journey. I'll see how I feel once I finish both degrees.

Nice post. You expressed my attraction to medicine far better than I've been able to.

Prestige... Money... Yeah thats about it

But more importantly i want to help fix people (surgically) tangibly

What an awesome and insightful post :)

Sounds corny, but I like the feeling of doing things for people that they either can't or won't do themselves. That's what drew me to the military. I also like science and medicine. Seems like a good combination of the two, extraneous stuff notwithstanding.

I would say I'm the most skeptical of surfaces in the hospital more than most other places I have been before. If I touch anything, I'm headed to the hand sani quickly afterward

I would say I'm the most skeptical of surfaces in the hospital more than most other places I have been before. If I touch anything, I'm headed to the hand sani quickly afterward

Looking back in this thread, all I can say is good riddance to @Dr Van Helsing . The dude was trying to stir up some anger out of entertainment.