Why Do You Want To Do Podiatry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HealthyEcon

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So what makes you drawn to podiatry as a career or just as a subject?

Members don't see this ad.

I used to work as a mechanic repairing car shops so I kinda like to think of podiatry as a hands-on procedure. I definitely looked at medical school but I am very picky based on the physicians I shadowed and I could only see myself enjoying orthopedic, ophthalmology, or urology, all of which require a lot of very hard work, stress, and a little bit of luck (30% get unmatched). Podiatry seems to have that balance of practicality, decent pay, and hours; though nothing is ever guaranteed in this day with any profession. I really like sports medicine so the professions I could really see myself are Physical Medicine and Rehab or Podiatry (I know the 49ers doctor is a podiatrist)

what about yours?

You should really know why podiatry yourself in your heart. It will be asked at all interviews so if you are looking for other people to answer this for you you should instead reflect yourself.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The diversity. I like to be sort of a jack of all trades type of physician and the closet thing to that is podiatry. I can do some surgery, some procedures, some medication and then some sports med and peds stuff.

If you like pediatrics then you could make a killing treating children. There far too few doctors treating children for their foot related problems. Not enough podiatrists and def not enough pediatric orthopedists who focus on the feet.
That's what the pod I shadowed told me too. Just said make sure I'm in a good sized city.

You should really know why podiatry yourself in your heart. It will be asked at all interviews so if you are looking for other people to answer this for you you should instead reflect yourself.

Definitely don't need "other people's" answers I just wanted to start some discussion!

I personally want to pursue podiatry because it's an intellectual challenge as well as a hands on job in many cases (especially surgical). It also allows for an entrepreneurial mind when it comes to practice management as well as the salary and hours are top notch!

If you like pediatrics then you could make a killing treating children. There far too few doctors treating children for their foot related problems. Not enough podiatrists and def not enough pediatric orthopedists who focus on the feet.
Do you need a fellowship for that? I'm looking and can't seem to find 1.

No I don't think there is one either. Just as pacpod said. You could do a literature search and look up individuals who specialize in podopediatrics. If you are truly interested in peds you should plan on clerking at programs where you get good exposure to peds so that you feel competent in treating them. Edwin Harris is one of the first names that comes to mind when thinking of podiatrists who specialize in pediatrics.
And look he's in Chicago. Barry also seems to be pushing for it too, they created a research scholarship on the subject.

Indeed he is. He's a professor at Scholl and his days in clinic are all peds pts. Great teacher but he obviously is not the only one.
Even more incentive to get into Scholl. Now to get this 26 on the MCAT.

There was a fellowship for pediatrics listed on the ACFAS webpage for about 3 days. Why it got taken off, I have no idea. It was at Scott and White in Texas I think.

I'm considering podiatry because of the autonomy, and the ability to be a teacher to my patients and colleagues in the medical profession. As a young Navy Corpsman at Camp Pendleton, California, on the island of Okinawa and on Oahu, Hawaii with Fleet Marine Force units, feet are the main course of our work. Along with ankles, backs, knees, pretty much an Orthopedics/Podiatrists heaven. Whether it was traumatic injuries, infected great toe nails or blisters after 25-mile hikes, we did the dirty work to prepare the patient to be evaluated by the podiatrist. Most of the time, they read our assessments and concurred, because the training we received from them. I also worked with great medical officers that became Orthopedic Surgeons, General Surgeons, Dermatologists, Radiologists, Preventive Medicine/Occ Health....and others. The training, hands on experiences and the desire to give back through the profession is like a dream for me. Understand though, I'm 50 years old, and have a lot left in the tank. My goals are across the spectrum, due to my experiences/background, and dealing with young healthy men and women, but the pediatric/adolescence and the advanced aged (geriatrics). As well, I want to build a practice near a rural area, and be close enough to the suburb's and a city to treat the spectrum with others that have the same desires I do. Eventually, I will call it quits and move on to my next life (wherever that may be). The other calling in that grouping is our veteran population, particularly the homeless veterans that neglect themselves, but are too proud to get help. They are in the spectrum as well. Wishing all of my fellow prospective DPM's good karma and the best in your endeavors.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm really interested in podiatry for couple reasons: (1) I love that I get to work with bone!-it's my passion in anatomy! and I love kinesiology, so learning and knowing how the feet work and interact with the rest of body is fascinating, so podiatry seemed like the perfect harmony of the two for me. (2) I'm also really interested in missionary work and I feel that podiatry is very under-represented field for that type of work--I feel like being a podiatrist would really make me useful and I could make a lasting impact! :)

This link is probably for those who aren't as familiar with podiatry, but after reviewing it again today I realized how much I like it:

https://www.samuelmerritt.edu/podiatric_medicine/career_survey

In the end, I have to agree what others who have said that you need find the reason to want a career podiatry for yourself. It took me many hours searching about podiatry, shadowing, as well as weighing the impact it had on the podiatrist in my own family (this personally helped me, but will be different for others). Now, I couldn't be happier with my decision!

When I lived in Guatemala I was translating for some doctors from the states. A kid, no older than 8, was carried in by his dad who started to tell me that his son couldn't walk. We took off the kid's boots and there was the grossest, most disgusting feet I had ever seen (and I lived in Guatemala for two years, I saw some pretty gross feet). His feet had mildewed, began to decay, were swollen, etc. The doctors couldn't figure it out at first because they had never seen anything like this, but then it dawned on one, it might be trench boot, something that was made popular in World War I thanks to the soldiers sitting in trenches that would fill up with water and then fill their boots. The boy was from a village deep in the mountains so he only had one pair of rubber work boots that he wore every day. The kid's boots filled with water due to the rain and since he had to work he continued to wear them every day. Eventually, with time, the water diffused into his foot and caused this disease. The doctor had me wipe the kids feet down with something to clean them and then I had to dry them off. After a lot of time with this kid and some work on his feet he was able to limp out of the office. We told his parents what to do to continue to help and we prescribed him something (I say we, but I just did the translating) to help him a little more. We helped a lot of old women and some other kids but the kid with trench boot I will never forget, there was something special about watching him walk out of that hospital after being carried in. That influenced me to look into podiatry rather than an MD or DO degree.

(Would that be a good story to tell during an interview when asked the question? Also, would being bilingual (English and Spanish) help me get into pod school?)

Reactions: 1 users
When I lived in Guatemala I was translating for some doctors from the states. A kid, no older than 8, was carried in by his dad who started to tell me that his son couldn't walk. We took off the kid's boots and there was the grossest, most disgusting feet I had ever seen (and I lived in Guatemala for two years, I saw some pretty gross feet). His feet had mildewed, began to decay, were swollen, etc. The doctors couldn't figure it out at first because they had never seen anything like this, but then it dawned on one, it might be trench boot, something that was made popular in World War I thanks to the soldiers sitting in trenches that would fill up with water and then fill their boots. The boy was from a village deep in the mountains so he only had one pair of rubber work boots that he wore every day. The kid's boots filled with water due to the rain and since he had to work he continued to wear them every day. Eventually, with time, the water diffused into his foot and caused this disease. The doctor had me wipe the kids feet down with something to clean them and then I had to dry them off. After a lot of time with this kid and some work on his feet he was able to limp out of the office. We told his parents what to do to continue to help and we prescribed him something (I say we, but I just did the translating) to help him a little more. We helped a lot of old women and some other kids but the kid with trench boot I will never forget, there was something special about watching him walk out of that hospital after being carried in. That influenced me to look into podiatry rather than an MD or DO degree.

(Would that be a good story to tell during an interview when asked the question? Also, would being bilingual (English and Spanish) help me get into pod school?)

That's a great story! Thank you for sharing. And yes, you should tell that exact story when you are asked "why podiatry".

It will never hurt to be bilingual and since your second language is a very common language, I would say it will only help you as a future pod.

Bingo. We need to make it easier to get fellowship-trained in pediatric foot and ankle surgery though.

This will hopefully be my area of expertise.