Why doctors kill themselves

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amar314

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just finished watching the TED talk on this topic )

What are your thoughts for the med students and physicians roaming on here?

Members don't see this ad.

Thoughts: Be willing to reach out for help and recognize that it doesn't make you weak or a failure. Don't be like the guy in that other thread who thinks that mental health issues makes someone incompetent.

Then always put things in perspective. Some unhappy physicians complain about things that most people in most professions deal with. Reframing your feeling in a way that focuses on the good can do wonders for your outlook

Don't compare yourself others

Be proactive about your problems. Dr. Wimble improved her situation by being proactive

Reactions: 1 user
its rampant. shes unforunately right on the money. the system is a major setup for depression and suicide. it needs to change.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/why-doctor-kill-themselves.11902

Over worked, some under paid, burden of debt, malpractice suits everywhere, barely see your family, too easy to kill yourself, what it actually takes to become a doctor only too see it's not even close to what you thought.

This is honestly sad though. People work so hard and overcome so many obstacles to achieve their goal, and it's that same goal that caused them to take their own life. Things have to change, but where can it start?

Reactions: 1 users
There's been a fairly lengthy thread about this Ted talk already.

Edit: ^Snuck in there on me.

its rampant. shes unforunately right on the money. the system is a major setup for depression and suicide. it needs to change.

Bluntly speaking, do attendings and faculty have the incentive to promote this change and address these issues? I personally think that they should, but I fear they have no reason to bother. Their rationale could be for example: "if I could handle this as a student/resident with no such resources, why can't my students/interns/residents do the same?" Of which I strongly disagree.

She must have learned how to explain the diagnoses of three dead individuals averaging a span of 3-4 minutes for each patient from medical school.

She must have learned how to explain her diagnoses of three dead individuals within the span of 3-4 minutes from medical school.
Speeches are supposed to have a flow and be interesting for the general public, not to be an intellectual jerking off for other physicians and medical professionals. You have to keep your audience's attention, and you don't do that by delving into details that they don't understand or care about.

Reactions: 1 users
Speeches are supposed to have a flow and be interesting for the general public, not to be an intellectual jerking off for other physicians and medical professionals. You have to keep your audience's attention, and you don't do that by delving into details that they don't understand or care about.
Seems like a perverse analogy to how she views insensitivity within the institution of medicine.

Seems like a perverse analogy to how she views insensitivity within the institution of medicine.
Not to talk too much about her, but she is quite a talented self-promoter and public speaker. You have to be to sell books and get people hooked on reading your articles and such. She's got her heart totally in the right place, but she knows what corners to cut to keep her stories interesting and keep audiences reading.

Not to talk too much about her, but she is quite a talented self-promoter and public speaker. You have to be to sell books and get people hooked on reading your articles and such. She's got her heart totally in the right place, but she knows what corners to cut to keep her stories interesting and keep audiences reading.
She's the woman whose director signed her off with Bambi syndrome when she stated that she refused to go through with an animal heart dissection lab when her petition failed to go through when even the majority of her class wouldn't sign off on it. Her heart is in the right place? I suppose it has to be the heart because she's cognitively intelligent enough not to try to actually make logical steps towards addressing the issue.

I respect ZDoggMD's approach to this topic for putting himself out there as the "zombie doctor" and actually attempting to introduce a new model for primary care that may work or fail. Whether Turntable Health is able to offer a better alternative to healthcare than what is currently provided will be seen, however it's something tangible and real. An actual resolution to try to resolve a stated problem and not a diatribe on the issue he perceives to be a major problem in modern healthcare.

I sympathize with medical students, but medical students are the ones who come to their senses and have the acumen to realize that the emotional stress and strain are aspects of the profession and most of them realize that the alternative which is dropping out will not give them the same level of satisfaction in life when they ultimately do become a physician.

Last edited by a moderator: