why does electronegative atom make more acidic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fastfingers

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why does an electronegative atom make it more acidic? I'm looking at the BK book page 22 last sentence.

Members don't see this ad.

i believe it has to deal with the comfort of having a negative charge (negative charge resulting from donating the H+ to solution-->leading to acidity)

more electroneg-->more comfortable with neg charge--->more okay with accepting electrons from H+ so H+ is more free to dissoc

Why does an electronegative atom make it more acidic? I'm looking at the BK book page 22 last sentence.

Acidity is the tendency to gain electrons or lose H+ ions .Electronegative atoms have more tendency attract electrons. When they are bonded with H, like H ----X ,(X is the electronegative atom )and it takes away the electron density from H .This facilitate the release of H + ions .

Well obviously acidity is related to H+ ions floating around. Therefore, a stronger acid will have more H+'s in solution caused by more H+'s falling off.

Now picture this...

There is a steady amount of relative electron density in a molecule. Let's say, loosely and for just consistency, that the electron density is 2 (arbitrary number).

Cl- has an extreme amount of electronegativity which also means it attracts more electron density. In HCl, the CL has so much of the electron density, that the H begins to seem more and more positive. For example, if CL had 1/2 of the electron density it would get the arbitrary number 1 and H would get a 1. But if CL had a electron density of 1.5, it would feel more of the electron presence making it more negative and the .5 for the H would make it semi positive to counteract that negativity.

Therefore, the H has an easier chance of falling off when involved with an electronegative element.

However, make sure not to confuse this with why HI is stronger than HCl. That has is a different story..