why does it matter which med school you go to

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ramoray

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok i really came to the realization that one should go to the lowest cost medical school or choose one based on a city they liked. I always suspected that it didnt matter, as long as it was a US md school. I am well off into my second year and i have attended no lectures. First year i attended a handful. I have always learned on my own and continue to do so. I havent even seen 90 percent of my profs or most of my schools resources as there are such good ones commercially available. Now you could say 3rd and 4th years are where school matters but from all i have heard, no matter what school you go to its luck of the draw as far as if you land a good rotation with a doc who will teach you etc. So basically i think you get a solid name on ur degree but other than that i see no difference. This debate always used to come up in preallo but i really realized it now iw ould be doing the same routine everyday whether i was at harvard or u of pdunk

Members don't see this ad.

Wow, there are a lot of difference between medical schools, at least, in my opinion. It used to be that the pre-clinical curricula were all regulated by the LCME but there's a recent trends of schools switching over to an organ-system based integrated curriculum. So instead of taking Physio, Biochem, etc., you'd take these topics in the context of an entire organ system (like cardiovascular biochem, cardiovascular physiology).

Also, I love going to class. Most of my learning happens in class, so the curriculum and scheduling and faculty (all of which are highly variable among schools) would matter very much to me.

Also, there are some big differences are far as clinical rotations go (like you mentioned). I know US MD schools that require their students to do ALL of their rotations at a single hospital (which I find rediculous).

And of course, one of the biggest factors is reputation. You're going to have your medical school listed on your resume for the rest of your life, it'd be nice to have something you'd be proud of.

cheers.

ToxicFugu said:
Also, there are some big differences are far as clinical rotations go (like you mentioned). I know US MD schools that require their students to do ALL of their rotations at a single hospital (which I find rediculous).

cheers.

this is not entirely true. it is true that most schools have a main teaching hospital where you can do most of your clinical rotations if you wish, but for the most part, you can spread your rotations over many different hospitals. I believe in most schools, you do your surgery and medicine rotations at a single hospital, but you can do the rest outside.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with the OP. It makes zero difference where you go as long as you shine. I've had countless residency directors tell me they'de take a top student at a "lower tier" school over a mid level student at Harvard.

superdood said:
this is not entirely true. it is true that most schools have a main teaching hospital where you can do most of your clinical rotations if you wish, but for the most part, you can spread your rotations over many different hospitals. I believe in most schools, you do your surgery and medicine rotations at a single hospital, but you can do the rest outside.

Oh. My post was worded improperly. I meant that I know of certain schools here that require their students to do their rotations at one hospital. I know that this is unusual and that most schools have a variety of hospitals where you can rotate.

school might play a role in medical education...but for the most part everyone has to learn the same stuff for these damn USMLEs. i agree with going to a low cost school and/or a location you like.

If you don't need your ego stroked, it basically doesn't matter. The differences in shininess of buildings or the type of preclinical curriculum are largely cosmetic since PhD's largely suck everywhere and you will be learning on your own. For clinical rotations, a nice selection of hospitals (i.e.a level 1 trauma center, a VA, a tertiary center, a county hospital, and some privates) is a big advantage because you will get a more diverse experience. Location is also important -- walking out of the hospital into sunshine is much nicer than rain and wind 9 months a year. :p

In the end, there is a lot to be said for saving $100,000+. Like other said, if you shine, you will shine anywhere you go.

What school do you go to Ramoray?? I definately think there is a difference, statistical and otherwise.

Like what? (not being argumentative -- I seriously want to hear your reasons because people ask me this all the time).

I don't think it matters where you go. My school's not highly ranked but I have recently found during an externship that I can hold my own with students from much more impressive sounding schools. It only matters if you are worried about prestige, we all learn the same information and skills.

JohnnieBlue said:
I agree with the OP. It makes zero difference where you go as long as you shine. I've had countless residency directors tell me they'de take a top student at a "lower tier" school over a mid level student at Harvard.

It's that whole ego thingy..maybe the students from 'lesser' medical schools feel that they should work harder, that's why they eventually become better than they counterparts from the more 'prestigious' schools :oops: