Why does this happen to me in the Verbal Section?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bammy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I do 3 verbal passages every morning (7 mins each passage) and then review and analyze the answers I got right or wrong in the 3 verbal passages the NEXT day.
But before looking at whether I got those questions wrong or right, I do the questions all over again quickly without reading the passage again because I still remember the passage. And I find that when I do the verbal questions all over again the day after doing the timed passage, I actually get the ones I got wrong the day before correct the day after.

It's so weird! For example, I look at the question and say "Woah, I put answer choice B down yesterday but I know that's wrong, the answer is definitely A, not B. Wtf was I thinking??"

Do you guys have an idea why this might be happening? Is it the pressure of time making me not think fully? I don't know how to prevent this from happening on the real thing. This happens to me when reviewing almost every passage! Any advice would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

If this happens nearly everytime without you looking at the answers then there seems to be only one variable that's changing - the timing/pressure. And it may not be the actual timing per se (i.e. it may not be that you're time crunched), but it may be how you act when you know there's a clock ticking away.
It's hard to give you any useful advice without first tackling what the actual problem is, so if you think this might be the case then try taking a passage untimed and see how it compares.

Cheers!

If this happens nearly everytime without you looking at the answers then there seems to be only one variable that's changing - the timing/pressure. And it may not be the actual timing per se (i.e. it may not be that you're time crunched), but it may be how you act when you know there's a clock ticking away.
It's hard to give you any useful advice without first tackling what the actual problem is, so if you think this might be the case then try taking a passage untimed and see how it compares.

Cheers!

Thank you!!! I think it might be how I act when the time is ticking. I will take a untimed passage today. Thanks again!

or you are narrowing down to 2 answers and you consistently choose the wrong one. Try reasoning out why you chose that answer and why it is wrong/correct.