Why dont you have a 4.0 ? That is a good question....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FreakyFreak

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does a 4.0 require too much time ?

Is the material too difficult to always get a 4.0 ?

Is the difference between an A and an A- pretty arbitrary ?

Are you not smart enough to complete with the top students ?

Do you have a hard time with math based classes ?

Do you have a hard time working on boring material ?

Do you prefer to spend time having fun that you would need to spend studying to get the 4.0 ?

Did you take a class without the proper prereq and get crushed ?

I dont have a 4.0 and the reason for me is I took a class without the proper prereq and got crushed. I also seem to hit a wall with studying and for that day I cant study anymore. So I guess I dont always put in the time. What about you ?

Members don't see this ad.

They grade on a curve (oi, if only i was smarter) :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Because I don't take easy classes or easy teachers. I swear this is key. Well, too late now....

because I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and gosh darn it, people like me.

oh yeah, im just lazy.

Medikit .... do you ever study or just hang out on this message board ? You post on everything ! Crack the books girl. Give up this site for a few months.

FreakyFreak said:
Medikit .... do you ever study or just hang out on this message board ? You post on everything ! Crack the books girl. Give up this site for a few months.

Medikit is a guy!!! And I'm sure he is doing just fine.

because upping the gpa from 3.5ish to 4.0 would have meant low marginal return on the investment. ie giving up partying, taking care of friends when they're having crises, cutting down on volunteer work and trips home.

and smoking less ganja... totally unacceptable
ha!

I've got close to a 3.9, and it would've taken a substantial increase in my time spent to get up to a 4.0

TheProwler said:
I've got close to a 3.9, and it would've taken a substantial increase in my time spent to get up to a 4.0

You should see the scores I can put up in beer pong.

That baby is going right under the Awards/Other Achievements section. :D

FreakyFreak said:

Excellent :thumbup:

FreakyFreak said:
Does a 4.0 require too much time ?

Is the material too difficult to always get a 4.0 ?

Is the difference between an A and an A- pretty arbitrary ?

Are you not smart enough to complete with the top students ?

Do you have a hard time with math based classes ?

Do you have a hard time working on boring material ?

Do you prefer to spend time having fun that you would need to spend studying to get the 4.0 ?

Did you take a class without the proper prereq and get crushed ?

I dont have a 4.0 and the reason for me is I took a class without the proper prereq and got crushed. I also seem to hit a wall with studying and for that day I cant study anymore. So I guess I dont always put in the time. What about you ?
I have four kids and am married- 'nuff said :D

Members don't see this ad :)
ambaduchi said:
because upping the gpa from 3.5ish to 4.0 would have meant low marginal return on the investment. ie giving up partying, taking care of friends when they're having crises, cutting down on volunteer work and trips home.

and smoking less ganja... totally unacceptable
ha!

I second that! :thumbup:

I had no social life, and i put in the work to get a 4.0. But I lost my damn translation final project for a Japanese class a couple days before it was due, and well, **** happens. I think you are smart and lucky to get through undergrad with the big 4.

because i'm modest

advanced theoretical calculus

1. Married w/ a 2.5 y/o daughter, that is fun to play with.
2. @ end of 2nd year activated for a year to go to Afghanistan.
3. F**king hate math ( C in calc, A to a C on the final of 2nd physics)
So some how I managed a 3.71

FreakyFreak said:
Why don't I have a 4.0? Because I have a 3.5 (or 3.05, according to TMDSAS), which is NOT a 4.0. So my excuse is, logical reasoning, duh.

Termwean said:
1. Married w/ a 2.5 y/o daughter, that is fun to play with.
2. @ end of 2nd year activated for a year to go to Afghanistan.
3. F**king hate math ( C in calc, A to a C on the final of 2nd physics)
So some how I managed a 3.71

Yeesh...your post just humbled me a bit. Thanks for protecting my spoiled arse.

Because AMCAS robs me of hard earned A+

FreakyFreak said:
u leave my medikit alone
i'd get scared if i sned on one day and a few of the regs like psycho medi ypos fermata labrat prowler evo..and like 30 others had not posted

so you backoff troll or i will burn your dirty bridge down! (after i safely cross it!)

Because beating UCSD to go to the NCAA tourney was just way more important at the time.......... seriously........... it's called having a life (and yes I do realize that some people will get 4.0s and still enjoy life.. but not for me... my biology teacher from high school once said to me, "Christine, you're never really going to be very smart, but you'll most likely do well because you try so hard and ask so many annoying questions"...........I'd love to go back and let her know what's up now! ha ha)

Let me break it down for you:

Does a 4.0 require too much time ? Yeah, basically, I mean you'd have to do nothing but study, and keep up with all the reading and crap.

Is the material too difficult to always get a 4.0 ? No, I'm just lazy

Is the difference between an A and an A- pretty arbitrary ? Yes in some cases

Are you not smart enough to complete with the top students ? Honeybabe, I AM ALWAYS one of the top students. How dare you even ask this.

Do you have a hard time with math based classes ? I have a hard time with Calculus, but that was 3 years ago.

Do you have a hard time working on boring material ? Don't we all?

Do you prefer to spend time having fun that you would need to spend studying to get the 4.0 ? Of course, wouldn't everyone? I have a life just like anyone else.

Did you take a class without the proper prereq and get crushed ? Nope, the anal-retentive bean-counter in me won't let me follow a less-than-perfect degree plan.

Hope this answers it for you :)

Getting a 4.0 one semester was all I wanted.

because you have a life.
because college is rough.
because life is not about being perfect.
because getting the entire college "experience" is worth more than a number.

Because I'm a single mom and I need to sleep too. :D Seriously though, it's a time management thing. I made sure I got A's in the classes where I knew a little extra effort would pay off. I slacked a little on those classes that I felt required too much time/effort (that would of course take away from my parenting, job, etc.), and usually settled for a B (but sometimes got A's, just depends on the class). But admittedly, there were 2 classes that I don't think, regardless of effort, that I could have gotten A's in. I guess I just don't "get" everything! ;)

because i am a massively lazy ******* who waits until the last minute to study for tests. i have two sciences tests tomorrow (bio and chem) and all i did this entire week/weekend was worry about those two tests. granted i had to work sat and sun but regardless, who waits until 9:30 pm on the night before a final to study for it?

this is why i do not have a 4.0 regardless of my potential to acheive so.

9:30 has me beet. I'm lucky if I get studying untill well after midnight. The only thing that saves me is I can study for 8 hrs straight, go take my test, then go home and crash.

Oh but I *do* have a 4.0! :rolleyes:
But I've only been at the university for 1 1/2 yrs. And yes, I have no life.

Things will probably change when I start to take more difficult upper divisions courses... but for now I really like to say the 4.0 thing. ;)

b/c i really hate math
b/c i did bad in all physics, g-chem labs
b/c i did really bad freshman year
b/c i didnt go to some lectures

-because some things are more important
-because I have a life
-because I was stupid when I was a freshman (ten years ago)
-because I am happier with where I am now

Ummm...because English is my third language (which i didnt start learning until the age of 11)? Because my dad quit his job my freshman year (for good reasons) thereby putting strain on me because I was an international student at the time and was paying full tuition at an expensive school? Because I have a life :D . There's other reasons that I do not wish to disclose :p

Edit: I go to a pretty competitive school?

Not worth the effort. I'd rather sleep than stay up studying.